Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#68708 05/13/02 03:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[red]WARNING -- Reminds me of a story though!- [/red]

Or the one about Joan Baez upon being challenged for her pacificist stance, being asked what she would do if she had a gun and someone was holding a gun on her grandmother. She asked if she was a good shot and was told that she was. She replied that then she would shoot the gun aut of the attacker's hand. When told she wasn't that good a shot she said that she wouldn't shoot, "Might kill Grandma."

#68709 05/15/02 03:57 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
organized re-enactments?

Trouble with these could be that a real fox might cross the scent and attract the hounds.

I live in a country town and have seen hunts at a distance and on one memorable occasion saw several hundred hounds running around a show ring in a joyous riot with a couple of dozen huntsmen among them to prevent complete mayhem! I read somewhere that hounds are no use after three years of age and are then put down as they do not make good pets. Does anyone know if this is true? It is not a point that I have heard presented elsewhere in the debate in the UK. If true then it seems to add a further negative aspect to the pastime – I have trouble seeing it as a sport.

So....a spectacle certainly, but still cruel...very mixed feelings, but on balance I am anti fox-hunting, or any hunting with hounds. We do seem to have too many foxes in the area and I see them all the way from home right up to Barnes, which is within the edge of truly urban London. So how do we deal with the problems that they create by attacking livestock and pets and scavenging in bins and bags? I don't believe hunting can be a particularly efficient means of culling. But after reading the above comments on trapping I don’t know what the alternative should be.

To get this on to something kind of word-related -

A poem:

Can-can (the second of: “Two Songs from Fox-Trot” by John Fuller)

The hounds are breathing at my tail, the hunt behind is in full cry,
Grimly grim.
The Master knows he will not fail
To see his tiring quarry die,
Horrible him!

Another fence won’t keep them back.
They have the panic scent too strong,
Grimly grim.

The Master close behind the pack
Knows that now he can’t go wrong,
Horrible him!

Now I am running for my life.
The hunt’s upon me in a rush,
Grimly grim.
The Master holds a little knife
With which to amputate my brush,
Horrible him!

John Fuller.

We do like to anthropomorphise don't we!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 765 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith