Print Thread
#68457 05/01/02 03:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If loganamnosis is a mania to recall forgotten words, what's the word for one who's seeking a lost phrase/saying? whatever is it, i've got it...

can anyone remind me of the saying that means something vaguely along the lines of 'a wolf in sheep's clothing' but with a definite reference to the the fact that the wolf's identity is obvious? something in the back of my mind tells me there may be a reference along the lines of 'no matter how you dress up s*it(PMF)
it still stinks' (and thus will sooner or later be discovered)

it could be applied, for instance, to me tricking my toddlers into cleaning their rooms by making an 'exciting contest' out of it; it only works once or twice and then they see through the guise.

any ideas?

#68458 05/01/02 05:06 PM
R
R
How about: "If it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it's probably a duck!"

#68459 05/01/02 06:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is an article in this months Atlantic Monthly, about American's ability to remake them selves.

We do it all the time.. we move, change names, change careers, change everything we can.

Sometimes, it works. we make a new life for our selves, and don't make the same mistakes.. sometimes, it doesn't.

sometimes, we don't move far enough away, and our past catches up to us..

but-- Americans still hold the sacred the idea that we should be about to remake our selves, to start fresh.
That said...

we might have a wolf in sheep clothing, or we might not.

if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is a duck-- but if it sort of looks like a duck, and makes some noise-- not quite quacking.. and the whole thing is pretty ugly-- we could call it ugly-- but maybe, if we wait a while, it might turn out to be an ugly duckling, or a swan.

Now, mind you, i might want to give the ugly duckling a lot of space.. i don't want to get to close to it.. but.. in the good old, old-fashioned american way, i am going to wait a while and see if i have a wolf in sheeps clothing-- or just one ugly sheep.. i am going to wait and see if the animal starts to quack like a duck.. or maybe its a swan..

there is no harm in a wait and see attitude..

(if this message seems bizzar, and coded.. well it is!)

#68460 05/01/02 06:44 PM
veteran
veteran

Woof.

k

#68461 05/01/02 07:42 PM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Caradea asks about concealed indentites.

The phrase "wolf in sheep's clothing", echoed in Little Red Riding Hood, comes from Aesop.

"A Wolf found great difficulty in getting at the sheep owing to the vigilance of the shepherd and his dogs. But one day it found the skin of a sheep that had been flayed and thrown aside, so it put it on over its own pelt and strolled down among the sheep. The Lamb that belonged to the sheep, whose skin the Wolf was wearing, began to follow the Wolf in the Sheep's clothing; so, leading the Lamb a little apart, he soon made a meal off her, and for some time he succeeded in deceiving the sheep, and enjoying hearty meals.

Appearances are deceptive."

Caradea, does your name come from a bilingual combination of "cara" and "dear"?
With a pun along the way on "cara mia"? How clever!

#68462 05/01/02 08:08 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear caradea: No matter how you slice it, it's still baloney.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith