About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#6826 11/10/00 04:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
See? Jackie truly IS the Mother Theresa of this board.

#6827 11/10/00 04:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Xara writes: "It amazes me how being across the pond can turn what seems to be a simple conversation among those in the know into complete gibberish. I have not the slightest idea what has been said."

There, there. I suggest that there are two forces at work here: (1) the geographic distance and (2) the distance in time, as many of these expressions are somewhat antique.

The rememdy is to read all of the Jeeves and Wooster stories by P.G. Wodehouse, all of the short stories of H.H. Munro, all of the works of G.B. Shaw and Oscar Wilde ... that sort of thing.

X
X
The rememdy is to read all of the Jeeves and Wooster stories by P.G. Wodehouse, all of the short stories of H.H. Munro, all of the works of G.B. Shaw and Oscar Wilde ... that sort of thing.

Gosh, Steve wants me to be busy reading for quite some time, it seems. He must be planning to do something sneaky behind my back. I'll be soo toodle pipped from all that reading that I won't have a wing & a prayer of ever catching up on reading here to catch his toodle ooh!

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
You could also see if you can find any films which feature Joyce Grenfell - she was a master (is is OK to say that a she was a master, oh who cares?) of the toodle-pips. A wet afternoon with a mug of cocoa and some old St Trinians films would sort you out. A quick romp through the "Famous Five" books by Enid Blyton would have you craving lashings of ginger beer in no time!

To keep things even, we could all sit with a root beer and watch John Wayne movies, whilst practising the kind of walk that you do when you've forgotten that you no longer have a horse between your legs. We could round it all off with a few old Ronald Regan movies.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
We could round it all off with a few old Ronald Regan movies.

I know that typos are off-limits, for which I am profoundly grateful, but I was still a bit leary of this particular misspelling.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
> oops Regan

I wasn't planning on wandering off into the Exorcist!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The way to total enlightenment is not a short stroll down a level path.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
oops Regan

Goneril but not forgotten?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

oops Regan

Goneril but not forgotten?

Thanks, Mav! I tried along similar lines when I said that I was leary of that typo, but I scored a miss, a very palpable miss.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>The rememdy is to read all of the Jeeves and Wooster stories by P.G. Wodehouse, all of the short stories of H.H. Munro, all of the works of G.B. Shaw and Oscar Wilde ... that sort of thing.<

Well, i hate to admit this, but given my anti british very anti-posh upbringing, stateside no less, when i first read wodenhouse, i didn't understand it! I had no idea of what they were talking about, and saw no humor. Now Xara might be smarter, or have been exposed to more upper english culture (maybe she has been watching PBS Masterpiece theater for years) but if she didn't follow the thread, she might not follow the books either. They presume you know a bit about upper class english culture and golf. I admit to growing up thinking BloodyBrit was one word-- and Bloody was always tabu at home, except when attached to brit. My mother in paticular seem very reluctant to admit anything from GB was good. The only "good" english writer where really irish (Joyce, Yeats, Swift, Wilde, Shaw...) And good whiskey came from Ireland, Scotland and Canada-- the only alcohol from England was gin, and it was medicial!

But watching-- and pbs did broadcast the Jeeves and Wooster series --blockbuster might have it, or your local public library. and yes, the lovely girls of St Trinians--- but it is sometimes a foriegn language--certainly a foriegn culture.
So forget the reading for a moment Xara, and rent some tapes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith