Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
>"infracaninophile"

I can find "infracaninophile" on the web, and in web word-lists. However, Robert said he found his word "paging through a dictionary", and I can't find "infracaninophile" in any website for a published dictionary.

Could this be a word that's been coined, but has never made it into a recogized published-on-paper dictionary?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from the earlier thread, it was coined by...

Christopher Morley, in the preface to "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" [of Conan Doyle]:

"What other man led a fuller and heartier and more masculine life? [it was another age]
Doctor, whaler, athlete, writer, speculator, dramatist, historian, war correspondent,
spiritualist, he was always also the infracaninophile -- the helper of the underdog."

not all dictionaries are on the web just yet, nor do I have all dictionaries in hard copy (it only seems that way), but I do have it in print in two actual books: as quoted above and in Charles Harrington Elster's "There's a Word for it!" perhaps Mrs. Byrne has it in her dictionary also, but I don't have that to hand at the moment.

(it seems highly probable that Morley coined this as a nonce-word, but there is still time to get it into the OED if only enough of us get... on top of it.)

EDIT: Mrs. B. indeed covers the word, but she cites Morley for it, indicating that she also found it in none of her lexicographical references. :)

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
While we're at it, who can say how root came to mean to loudly express support for someone?

R
OP Offline
R
Re: Robert said he found his word "paging through a dictionary"

I wondered about the fact that infracaninophile is rarely in dictionaries. I'm actually not so sure infracaninophile is the word I saw. I think I would have remembered that one because of the roots. Wouldn't it be neat if it has a synonym?! It would almost be worth while to spend a few days (weeks?) looking through the dictionary! The dictionary I saw it in (I think) is at my parents' home. I'll at least look up infracaninophile to see if it is there.

Robert

#67973 04/30/02 07:40 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
the proprietor could keep the weight from going all the way to the top, but I never found out how he could do it

I read somewhere a while back that there was a lever or foot-pedal the carnie could press that subtly altered the tension of the wire going up to the bell. If the wire was taut, the projectile ascended to the top smoothly and easily. If it was loose, the energy of the strongest hammering was easily dampened, and inadequate for the task...

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
...would that be incurable romantic? How about Polly Purebred, then?

I would have said "a 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers fan" (sniffle). It was always "wait 'til next year," and then the year Next Year finally came, they up and left town. :-( That's gratitude for you! (Some of us never got over the insult, as you can see!)

Then we had to become Mets fans...at least we knew how!

#67975 05/01/02 12:55 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Can't you Striners make up your own?

Evidence, CapK... Which came first, the wombat or the Kiwi?

D
addict
addict
D
Special to doc_comfort: is there a word for someone who defends the underdoc?

There was, but...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,4235207^601,00.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, doc, we have an AMA, too! Slight difference in the first A, though. I'll tell you, judging by this article, either you-all have a whole lot of dangerous doctors, or Aussies must be emulating us lawsuit-happy Americans.

A
addict
addict
A
Hey, doc, we have an AMA, too! Slight difference in the first A, though.

Hey, Jackie! I've been a member of the AMA for 13 years! You were referring to the American Motorcyclist Association, weren't you?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 727 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith