About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#66504 04/20/02 04:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
n general, the entire earth's surface is criss-crossed by fault lines. Not all of them are detected unless they move - an earthquake. In 1990, the map of faultlines in the area of Wellington, New Zealand, looked orderly, two big faultlines and a few offshoots. Now you should see it - lines in all directions, all just waiting to suck you dooooooooown!

Not my area of speciality and I would defer to Stalesy. However, most Zilders are familiar with the mechanics of earthquakes and plate tectonics in general terms, and discuss them in much the same way as people in other countries discuss the weather.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Go ahead, Helen...drill away...but I'm promising you all you're gonna find is fool's gold and the appetitite of a hungry T. Rex Theresa Rex. Could be like opening Pandora's Box, come to think of it if I can still cogitate. Now where did I last see that lazy ol' pterydactyl sleepin' in a candleberry tree?

Brainless regards,
WWMM

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WO'N: I couldn't find anything on superplumes, but here is a good bit of information on basic earth science, plate tectonics, and subduction zones with diagrams:

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/phiggins/Lecture8.html

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
From Dr. Bill's link: Faults can be divided into two major categories: Strike-slip and Dip-slip, which describes the displacement of rock across the fault. There are also oblique-slip faults that are in-between strike-slip and dip-slip.

I know a few dip-slips myself! nobody on this board, just a joke in general, couldn't resist the wordplay

Thanks for the great link, Dr. Bill. Good illustrations.

And thanks for referring me back to that thread, stales. I missed that one (actually I missed all of October, and couldn't catch up with it all when I got back). Your first post there is a fine study of subduction.

superplumes

I guess this is the kind of word you can bequeath a variety of extended meanings to...which ones stick, and which go away?

The Only WO'N!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh my god Helen, I can't belive the guy did that to himself. What an idiot!

Did you read all the way to the end? He got kinda worried when he felt a squirt in the brain-hole when he was taking a bong hit. Kinda says a lot don't it.

I am in awe at this. I can't believe people do this to themselves. This isn't cosmetic, like piercing or tatooing. This can be a) fatal while the procedure is being done, b) fatal because of the risk of infection, c) eventually fatal if you hit that exposed spot ... and did I mention FATAL. Sheesh.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, i know the site.. did you notice the date? over 2 years old. and some sites with instructions are older.

but you know, people have been doing it since the ancient times.. there are ancient egyptian skulls with healed trepantions scars, some with more than one..and they didn't have hardened steel bits to drill.. they used hand tools, and no sterile water, or sterile anything..

i just think trepantions is a fun word, and have, suggest to rude, dislikeable people, they should find a hobby--have they thought of trepantions?...

since most people aren't aware of what it is.. and it doesn't sound like anything else.. it's a good line.

home trepanation became popuar (if that is the word,) about 10 years ago.. even TV shows have commented on it. (ER had an episode, for sure)

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In today's news:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Two superplumes of molten rock appear to be powering through the boundary between the Earth's upper and lower mantle, perhaps feeding volcanoes and affecting movement of the planet's crust.
New evidence of the superplumes - located beneath the south central Pacific Ocean and southern Africa - comes from studies of seismic waves conducted by scientists at the University of California at Berkeley and reported in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

Smaller regions of magma rising to the Earth's crust power volcanoes and other hot spots.

But the superplumes come from far deeper, crossing the boundary between the upper and lower mantle about 400 miles deep, an area that had been thought by some scientists to impede the flow of material.

Researcher Barbara Romanowicz said earthquake studies until now have emphasized the dynamics of collisions between the planet's massive surface plates. When two of them crash together, one slips beneath the other in a process called subduction, and earthquakes and volcanoes can follow. "We think the superplumes play an important role as well," Romanowicz said.

The study seeks to focus attention on the hot material rising upward from the base of the mantle - the partially molten region that extends about 1,740 miles from the Earth's core to its crust, or lithosphere.

"The hot material brought under the lithosphere by the superplumes then spreads out horizontally toward mid-ocean ridges," Romanowicz explained. The ridges are often active volcanic areas.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 631 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith