About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Sounds sexy, doesn't it? Nope...it's geology, folks! The AP reported today that a new study released in the current journal, Science, demonstrates how superplumes of magma rumble deep within in the earth. There is also mentioned a geologic plate movement called subduction. Both of these words caught my eye, especially subduction. Here's an excerpt from the article that uses both words:

Researcher Barbara Romanowicz said earthquake studies until now have emphasized the dynamics of collisions between the planet's massive surface plates. When two of them crash together, one slips beneath the other in a process called subduction, and earthquakes and volcanoes can follow. "We think the superplumes play an important role as well," Romanowicz said.

And here's the article url:

http://www.newsday.com/news/science/wire/sns-ap-superplumes0418apr18.story?coll=sns-ap-science-headlines

I was wondering what the board thought of both these words, and their potential for breaking out into general usage.

The geological theory is pretty interesting, too!

And, stales, report in any time you're ready!

The Only WO'N!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And if you find stales, please send him over to WW's thread "Coriolis Effect". I have a question there for him as well. Funny how we were writing about related items in different threads, Juan

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Subduction is familiar to me, and I've got huge scars in my brain where the surface plates collided. Subduction in the brain causes a reduction in ability to process information. Dendrites disappear, and one is often reduced to reptilian thinking from the inward pressure on both the limbic system and brain stem. I think that's why the T-Rex footprint appeared in my dream the other night, certainly a consequence of subduction.

Now, superplumes are news here, and fascinating to consider. I think of drum majors in the brain with superplumes flaring from their hats. I also think about how Whoopie Goldberg was dressed for the Academy Awards...and, well, who wouldn't, D. H. Lawrence.

In the spirit of psychogeology,
DubDub

old hand
old hand
WO'N and wordwind

We done this one guys - under the auspices of Hot (Not G) Spots

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=44410

I think "subduction" is a capital word and could be applied easily to a range of murky situations where titanic forces overwhelm and "push down" seemingly immovable persons or points of view.

"Superplumes" didn't get a mention per se in that post, but we went close when discussing the extinction of species elsewhere. The cataclysmic vulcanism (+/- asteroid impact) that some schools cite as causing the 9 major extinctions shown in the geological record was a result of superplume action. (Keiva - the book IS still on its way - I promise, just been slack)

stales

#66498 04/20/02 02:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We had an earthquake here and I didn't even feel it ....

So. My question is: where are the fault lines and how come I didn't know there was one in NY?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
reading about your subductions of the brain, Dubya, I am wondering -- have you considered trepanation?

there are enought doctors about, maybe we could do it as fun science project some time when we get together..

I understand there are lots of instructions and web sited devoted to home trepanation.. in some circles its more popular than high colonics!

#66500 04/20/02 02:32 PM
old hand
old hand
AS'p - If you go to the following web page (your friendly local state museum), you can download a zipped map of the geological faults of NYS.

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/gis.html#state

I reckon the on-line version would've turned up if I looked a bit longer.

stales

#66501 04/20/02 02:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shucks!
Thanks, stales.

M
old hand
old hand
M
reading about your subductions of the brain, Dubya, I am wondering -- have you considered trepanation? - of troy

No! No! -of troy, don't commit trepanation on Dubya Dubya yet. For the moment, the current setting of her mind is generating fine-honed wit and sparkling humor.

Perhaps later?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but who knows? given a new pathway, she might have superplumes: knowledge, creativity, images, words, songs, and endless fountain..hidden deep, waiting only for an outlet..

isn't it like the deep structures, that give rise to diamonds? (just to tie back to the geologoly thread a bit..)

couldn't we just make a little hole and see? once we are past the skin, drilling into the cranium is resonable painless... let me go look up some instructions.. ..as i recall, you can use a variable speed drill or even a rotary tool. (have a squirt bottle handy, drilling can be hot work..)

EDITA quote and url to two trepanation sites. just type trepanation into Google..
A sketch of how traditional and modern societies have used entheogens and trepanation as a means to enhance ognitive functioning and improve health.
http://www.trepanation.com/master1.htm

This weekend I had a hole drilled through my skull. (warning-- full color photo's included)
a quote from this site
http://www.bmezine.com/people/trepan/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 774 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith