Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Topic Options
#66118 - 04/18/02 05:16 AM Mongolian Blue and White
Wordwind Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Piedmont Region of Virginia, U...
In trying to pin down the porcelain in my head, I found some information about the Mongols and porcelain. It seems that the colors white and blue were predominantly used. Why blue and white? I can't find what it was about those specific colors that made them so easily accessible and transferrable.

Does anyone know anything about the porcelain paints of the period--about 1271 - 1360s? What they were made of and what we would properly call them other than "white" and "blue"?

There's gotta be more to this than meets the eye.

Broken receptacle,
WordWashed

#66119 - 04/18/02 07:08 AM Re: Mongolian Blue and White
belligerentyouth Offline
old hand

Loc: Berlin
I'm no expert on porcelain, but I've been to Meissen before. That's the place where (as far as I know) they make some of the best and most expensive (handmade) porcelain in Europe. We bought a little vase for about $100US: with a entire dinner set costing around $6-7 thousand. Their standard design also uses the cobalt blue underglaze. It always looks pretty hazy when one compares it to modern porcelain prints (like Villeroy & Bock)
Bottom of page shows an early design:http://www.bauerart.com/meissen2.html

I found this on the tradition of cobalt blue on white:

"Painting the porcelain surface may be done in several ways. One method is to use a colored glaze, such as the famous Chinese celadon. This glaze is a soft gray-green color. Another type of decoration is underglaze (designs painted on a piece before it is glazed). A deep blue made from the metal cobalt is the most dependable color used for underglazing. Cobalt blue has been widely used both in China and in Europe."
http://www.artistictile.net/pages/Info/Info_Porcelain.html

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8727 Members
16 Forums
13804 Topics
214846 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
ShellsnBells, charmingthemuse, toddster, Mussaf, meliza
8727 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (wofahulicodoc), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
LukeJavan8 114
endymion6 102
wofahulicodoc 73
jenny jenny 64
A C Bowden 36
Bazr 27
tsuwm 8
Tromboniator 8
Faldage 4
FoFong 3
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10521
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
AnnaStrophic 6511
LukeJavan8 6405
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith