Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
rkay, much as I would like to agree with you:

This latest round began with the following comments (not directed at me), from a senior person to a much-junior one:
--This is ... totally inappropriate for this board.
--knock it off. ... I'll be happy to help you find an appropriate internet chat room.

and I understand there were PM's of the same tenor.

When hurtful comments are made about my behavior or that of others, they and I are entitled to respond (temperately, of course).

To avoid such response, one need only refrain from the comment that prompts it -- or say a simple "I'm sorry."

J
old hand
old hand
J
ewein,

I am, I believe, a fairly neutral member of this grand conflict, considering members on both sides my friends, but I do agree that it is rather inappropriate for you to jump into a conversation of this matter with little to no prior knowledge of the events that caused it. It is my understanding that the arguments began in private quite a while ago as a series of minor disagreements that grew out of proportion. The blame is on neither side entirely, but I think it is telling that so many have been set off by one member. All of the people here, on both sides, are very nice, caring people who are passionate about one thing: words. Often we become so particular about the specific meanings of words that they can, when used carelessly, can become the crux of a heated argument.

Again, ewein, it is unfortunate that you would choose to join us on such a controversial issue, but I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we are always welcoming to new people who will offer their knowledge and unique perspectives on the subjects of words, language, literature and world culture, topics that created and grew the rich environment that we now try to enjoy.

#65161 04/12/02 01:15 AM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Chicago Bulls vs. New York Knicks (this just in):

BULLS WIN! BULLS WIN!! BULLS WIN!!! BULLS WIN!!! BULLS WIN!!! BULLS WIN!!! BULLS WIN!!!

[gotcha, Helen ]
[yes, I know: we need it more than you do. ]

M
old hand
old hand
M
JazzO, I would submit that people on this board are clearly passionate about more than just words....

I think ewein makes a good point. I know I'm relatively new here too, but I've been reading a lot of posts/threads too (and yes, I saw an earlier flame war or two). It seems to me that there are a LOT of hotheads on this board, not just Keiva. Really, when one is passionate about something, unless one is a complete cold-blooded jellyfish, it's hard NOT to get hotheaded.

So resist all you like: it seems to me a lot of you have more in common with Keiva than you are comfortable acknowledging.

And Keiva, darling, you KNOW I love you (I am your acolyte, your slave, your brainwashed...whatever people want to call me!) - but don't you see, some of them is just pushing your buttons? This is what my parents always called "trying to get a rise." You have done some button-pushing yo'sef. You would come across as the bigger man if you could put 'em on "ignore."

I know this all started with the Wordapalooza kerfuffle. I take people's point that it started public and migrated to private - but honestly, it has not been kept private enough. Here I was, thinking it was open to everyone, and keen to attend. Now I realize I probably wouldn't be welcome either, because I like Keiva.

But I also like of_troy, and Jackie, and milum, and JazzOctopus, and Angel and wwh and marylynncorder and stales and Rubrick and and and (apologies to the many I have missed listing but who I really like as well!) - AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? It means there is one thing you ALL have in common with Keiva: that I likes yez!

And I likes this new chickie-babe, ewein. I like the cut of your jib, woman. Welcome to the board. This was quite the post to leap in on - talk about a trial by fire!

smooches and squeezes to all

K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
You would come across as the bigger man if you could put 'em on "ignore."

Been there done that, hon. It's been tried. Let's quote one quick, grinning and recent example here:
I'm willing to let us forget it.
Just leave it; don't trouble to edit.
But if you again flame dear,
it's not me to blame dear:
If you seek a fight, you will get it.

This is the third time I've responded with rhymed humor to attacks on mod-god.

We've tried "benign neglect" here, with what result? Unfortunately, we find that if you ignore the problem, good people are hurt until they are driven away from the board. [see Jackie's threads on Personal Plea and Sadness]. Something of a Gresham's law, perhaps.

Would it not be pigheaded to continue a benign neglect which (however good it sounds in theory) has not helped in practice. As said to these folks before: "If quiet humor will not restrain you, then one must be more forceful."

#65164 04/12/02 05:14 PM
E
E

#65165 04/12/02 06:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the following quote is from the original "interesting"(ha) thread.

ewein cites:
Folks, these were all from frequent posters.

Just so you're aware of this: in the atmosphere of the recent board climate (whatever that means) many that are currently regular posters, aren't. Although the definition of 'regular' has some regularity, the group that you *seem to be calling regulars aren't the *regular ones.

"Regular" is one of those words that: if you repeat it enough it sounds odder and odder....

IMNSFHO

#65166 04/12/02 08:23 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
zic, you got your own feet tangled a bit when you tried to challenge ewein's reference to "regular" posters.

It was Helen who used that term, claiming that "30 or so regular posters ... agree." So when you challenge the slippery nature of the word "regular", you were really challenging Helen (ewien merely repeated Helen's phrase on its own terms).

Note: not to be taken as implying agreement or disagreement with Helen's count of "30".

#65167 04/12/02 09:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you are suggesting that ewein has been watching Helen and I jitterbugging... you'll have to do better than that...

...and this means nothing to me - ...phrase on its own terms. unless you and her are speaking interchangably. In that case you are guilty of your own coersion. Is ewein immune to your insistance that words have a cited "proof"? You better take a close look at *hers.

...and BTW, I was talking to her, not you (as I'll go so *far as to let her speak for herself). I'd bet ewein didn't even know where Helen's reference is/was until you just told her. So maybe you are the same person... hmmmm. Well, you know what you think of that practice, don't you?

#65168 04/12/02 10:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Musick, dear, are you asking me to dance?
Helen and I jitterbugging

Best offer i had all day.. i'll put on my dancing shoes, and head out.. where shall we meet?

i can lindsey okay, but most real jitterbugging is before mine time.. but how about some R & B, or even some rock and roll, I'll kick up my heels, slip my shoes, and twist the night away.. and lordy, lord, if they play jerry lee lewis Shake-- i got a whole lot of body, and when i get to shaking it! its a site to see!
--Oh connie, do you want to come too? i know how you love to dance..
Musick, don't go getting any ideas-- we are talking about dancing, in full upright position!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 937 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith