About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
#63538 04/05/02 11:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, Anna, goodness knows i have been guilty, (in the past!) of turning threads from words to food.. and certainly, i enjoy a quick turn of phrase, that makes me laugh, and then makes me blush, but all to many threads these days, have allegedly witty comments, that are barbs, with scant wit, and nothing to do with the thread.

there are some shades of meanings, and some "mental tricks" that my mind plays with nude and naked. i have never been a model bet that's is no surprize!, but i have taken art classes -- human figures-- and drawn models. as the model drops her robe, and settles in to position, something strange happens... she loses her personhood, and becomes a thing. a living breathing human form. you don't see or react to the person, you react to the folds of the skin, the shadows, the muscles, and the fat, the wrinkles and the smoothness, the tone, and color.

at times it can be erotic, -- and yet there is a distance, so that i was almost embarassed that i notice how erotic the form was. Not that i was attracted to the model--rather, her cool demeanor allowed me to explore being visualy aroused. and while i am not talented, i have some skill, and the my drawing was the better for being aroused.

as to the word naked (or my sense of being naked.) it is more vunerable, but not helpless..-- and i think i could slip between being naked and nude, minute by minute.

its a good thing ashcroft isn't a member here at AWAD, or we would have big blue curtains, blocking out this thread!

and are there words for being partial underessed, that have the same strong emotions behind them, the way naked and nude do?

in skivies?
scantily clad?
full frontal nudity?
bare assed, bare breasted?

none of these evoke much of an emotional charge.. not like naked!

#63539 04/06/02 02:13 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: I see a comparison, yet a difference in the reaction of health care givers and artists toward nudity. Health people have to be temporarily oblivious to any thing erotic, while humbly aware of the beauty of God's creation. Artists have to concentrate so totally on the recording of the beauty there is no room in their thinking for the erotic.

#63540 04/06/02 02:38 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Howye fokes

Check this one out - it's shocken terrable altagather and not fer the faint-hearted.
http://community.gambling.com/forums/CForum.asp?archive=0&teaser=tease&M=4996&F=1&T=4996

#63541 04/06/02 03:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the link

ROMFL!!! Hilarious, Ted! I don't know how you do it...but I'm certainly glad you can!!! LOL!

#63542 04/06/02 03:59 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Howya Whitty

Thanks a millin fer yer kind comments. The sad thing is that Loxy did actually open up such a din of equity across the road from Slasher's Bar (and Grill).

It's tuff been a teddy bear with that one around, I tell ya
Be seein ya

GallantTed

#63543 04/06/02 03:59 AM
A
addict
addict
A
I worked in the health care field for a very short time (not for me). But you do get very desensitized to the naked human body. I considered the patients naked. Very vulnerable. Not of their choosing. Cold.

Where nude to me indicates something softer. More natural and warm. And of one's will.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
As a physician in residency I see a fair amount of unclothed people. (Or is that unclothed persons...?) I don't know if desenitized is the right word--I would say we in the medical field become accustomed to seeing people without their clothes on.

As far as noticing beauty,... I do, but that is not to say that I am thinking prurient thoughts. Rather, what I tend to notice is how the body changes with age and illness, and occasionally I see a younger patient and I am struck by their beauty and health. It is certainly a much wider concept of beauty than what I had as a teenager. And of course, there is beauty around besides the blush of youth.

Another interesting thing is that some patients can be only partially undressed and seem very much naked, while others are quite exposed but seem merely nude. Many veterans, for example, are comfortable undressing and being examined in private areas, but there are some who are not. Many of the women I have treated for breast cancer are somewhat uncomfortable with having their breast examined, but others are very relaxed. And of course, many patients are not comfortable even talking about medical matters pertaining to their most private bodily parts.

Often, uneducated people use words that are considered crass or vulgar when relating a problem, but of course they lack a wider vocabulary. Linguaphiles such as the members of this board would be much more likely to say "Doctor, I am having pain when I urinate," while a less educated person would perhaps say "Doc, it hurts when I p*ss." Others yet realize that p*ss is not a polite word, but they are at a loss for finding the "proper" word, and end up feeling embarassed.

I to try to make the naked patient feel merely nude, and to carefully introduce a subject in a way that shows that there is nothing to be ashamed of. But sometimes it's a lost cause and it can be rather comic.

I recently had a patient, a young woman who seemed reasonably educated, who had had rectal cancer. She had undergone an operation to remove most of her colon and rectum. She was left with a colostomy, and the anus had been completely sewed up as part of the operation. She told me she was having pain "where my butthole used to be." I tried to gently introduce the term "anus" or even "rectum" without coming across as too didactic or rude. But it was hopeless. Eveery time she had a check up she would use the word "butthole" and, honestly, it embarassed me. I never could get her to adopt what I considered a more "appropriate" term. I think my embarassment had a lot to do with my concept of class distinctions. The patient in question seemed to exhibit a contradiction between her vocabulary and her overall demeanor. Had it been a veteran who had served in the navy in WWII I probably could have easily fallen into a mode of discourse with him that was more relaxed and anything he said I could have taken in stride.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I feel sorry for your patient with the colostomy. They are no fun at all, and if you're young they must be even worse. Life can certainly dish out the dirt, can't it?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Eveery time she had a check up she would use the word "butthole"

Maybe she's just a big fan of King Coffey and company ...

http://www.buttholesurfers.com/

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/artist/card/0,,410536,00.html

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The cruel affliction of such a young person saddens us all. But think about the courage and perseverance required of the oncologists who must live day after day with the constant drain on their mental and emotional reserves of having to keep trying to help an endless succession of such patients.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 867 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith