W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Happy St. Pat's Day to you all!
Here's a link for anyone interested http://www.tartanplace.com/stpat.html

Meanwhile, I declare you all Irish for the Day ... for celebration purposes.
Have a great day and try not to drown the shamrocks!

R
addict
addict
R
Also, check out http://www.ireland.com/events/st.patricks/2002/ for postcards, coverage etc. etc. and

http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/webcam/index.html for a live real-time webcam of the parade as it passes through College Green in Dublin.

http://www.ireland.com/dublin/ and click on Live Views for a view over O'Connell Bridge and O'Connell Street.

Parade starts at 10:00 GMT and finishes around three hours later.

Enjoy!

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Rubrick, thank you for the links!

However, 10 am GMT is 5 am here ... I'd love to see the parade but 5 Ante Meridian!
I don't think so.
Unless I have miscalculated.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I love Irish music, everything from Tin Pan Alley ("Peggy O'Neill," "My Wild Irish Rose," "When Irish Eyes Are Smilin'," etc.), to George M. Cohan, "Harrigan," "For It Was Mary,", to Hollywood, "Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra," to McCartney's "Give Ireland Back to the Irish," to "The Londonderry Air" (Danny Boy), to real Irish folk, "By the Risin' of the Moon," "Ach, Johnny We Hardly Knew Ye," (and more authentic Irish folk that I'm sure Rubrick could point us to), and more commercial Irish folk acts like The Cheiftains and The Clancy Brothers, to the new Irish folk-rock sounds of Blackthorne and Tempest (if you ain't heard Tempest's Surfing to Mecca CD, buy it tonight!.."Take You to the Well" a great song on it that I do).
And without getting a chance to put a set or two of Irish tunes out in public or casual company, it just doesn't seem like St. Patrick's Day for me!
And, so, I thought a good topic for some common ground Irish discussion from Oz to the Emerald Isle, and all stops beyond and between, would be "The Wild Colonial Boy," and the story behind it. From my own USn perspective...I love the song, I know the basic story behind it (and it's Irish-Australian tradition)...but, here, it's also the theme song for John Ford's brilliant movie, "The Quiet Man," (with John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Victor McLaglen, and Barry Fitzgerald), a movie that is as much a part of the St. Patrick's Day tradition with me as, say, Alistair Sim's "A Christmas Carol" is for Christmas...if we don't watch "The Quiet Man" in early March it just doesn't seem like St. Patrick's Day...the movie always stays fresh, too; never get tired of seeing it! But, again, there's "The Wild Colonial Boy" threading it all together. So maybe we can hear some of the Aussie (and Zildian), Irish, Brit, other Usn, and other takes on the story of the song?...and why not on "The Quiet Man" and Irish Music, too! Tomorrow, my favorite St. Patrick's Day party story (hint: I was living in New York City, and it started at 10:30 am and lasted till 3 the next morning).

#61142 03/16/02 12:47 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tomorrow, my favorite St. Patrick's Day party story (hint: I was living in New York City, and it started at 10:30 am and lasted till 3 the next morning).

#61143 03/16/02 12:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bated breath

Oh, yeah?...what are you baiting it with?

#61144 03/16/02 12:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anna-- do you want to tell him the story about ice fishing and baited breath? or shall i?

#61145 03/16/02 03:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You do it, Helen. You've got that je ne sais quoi when it comes to telling a story

pmf

#61146 03/16/02 05:59 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

P
veteran
veteran
P
je ne sais quoi
I have made 2 major discoveries on AWADtalk today.

The first is that I haven't got a clue about many of the codes and acronyms that are passed between experienced posters, such as pmf and WAG.

The 2nd is that I can read the white script we are not supposed to read without straining simply by highlighting it. That's

#61148 03/16/02 06:39 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Browsing thru some Irish stuff I came upon a link to Celtic Gods and Godesses and found this :

Anu - Ireland - goddess of plenty and Mother Earth, Greatest of all Irish goddesses, deity of cattle, health, fertility prosperity and comfort.
Well, of course she would be the greatest! Just like our Anu. Happy St. Pat's Day, Anu.

WAG came from my post (I think) and is techno-military-speak for wild ass guess. You're welcome!

#61149 03/16/02 06:43 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Bill, I got as far as the author's calling St. Patrick "St.Patty" and gagged.
Patty is the female version. If you want to shorten the male name Patrick it's Paddy.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

#61150 03/16/02 06:49 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
wow, you and I have coincidence of timing. Just as you were posting this:
WAG came is techno-military-speak for wild ass guess.

I was sending this PM: "I've never heard WAG used anywhere but on this board. But I'd occasionally heard the term SWAG, standing for Stupid Wild-Ass Guess. With that in mind it didn't take much to figure out what WAG stood for!"

I hadn't known that this originated in the military. But from what little I know of how soldiers talk (for example, SNAFU), my SWAG is that the original military version was SWAG, with WAG being a cleaned-up derivative version.

#61151 03/16/02 06:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then there is, of course, the sensational Irish step-dance show, Riverdance, and its spinoff, Lord of the Dance, which many purists say Michael Flatley ripped-off and overcommercialized to feature himself. But I liked them both. Is there any special opinion in regard to this particular debate over in Ireland, Rubrick?

#61152 03/17/02 01:19 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tomorrow, my favorite St. Patrick's Day party story

the story, Juan, the story......

#61153 03/17/02 02:47 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the story, Juan, the story......

I'm watching the biography of Irish enchantress Maureen O'Hara right now...NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!! You'll just have to wait...

And who's Juan?

#61154 03/17/02 05:12 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Top o' the mornin' to you all! Wanted to be the first with the wearin' o' the green and the lookin' for leprecauns! Don't drink too much green beer today!

#61155 03/17/02 05:15 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#61156 03/17/02 05:17 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
And as an honorary irishman [thanks, wow!] in an Irish town where the Chicago River is dyed green for this glorious day, I raise a glass (or two or three) to you all!

p.s. to max: she's first by the awad calendar, but you're always first with us.

#61157 03/17/02 12:55 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M

****A HAPPY SAINT PATRICK"S DAY TO US ALL****

(and WOW you have a pleasant St. Patty's day as well)

-Milo Washington.

(whatsamatta, yall never heard of the Black Irish?
or other-handedly, the Washington clan of Irishmen that claims George Washington as one of their descents?)

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
A few Irish-isms for ye on this Great Day.
Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.

You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune.

When the cat is outside, the mouse does be dancing.

A lock is better than suspicion.

Every patient is a doctor after his cure.

The longest road out is the shortest road home.

Everyone is wise til he speaks.

There's no need to fear the wind if your haystacks are tied down.

Firelight will not let you read fine stories
but it is warm and you won't see the dust on the floor.

Marriages are all happy.
It's having breakfast together that causes all the trouble.

The Irish always forgive their great men ... when they are safely buried.

#61159 03/17/02 02:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
****A HAPPY SAINT PATRICK"S DAY TO US ALL****

"May the road rise to meet you,
And may the wind be always at your back!..."

#61160 03/17/02 02:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Erin go Braugh!!

(and check out Google's logo for today!)

#61161 03/17/02 02:13 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And if you don't know what "Erin go Braugh" means, here is a URL:
http://membres.lycos.fr/irelandirish/content/irish-gaelic-phrases.php

#61162 03/17/02 02:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
George M. Cohan...another great Irish-American! Here's his picture and song list, and also a short bio:

Picture and song list:
http://www.melodylane.net/standards4.html

HARRIGAN

H-A-Double RI-G-A-N spells Harrigan!
Proud of all the Irish blood that's in me.
Divil a man can say a word agin me!
Oh, H-A-Double RI-G-A-N you see!
It's a name that a shame never has been connected with
Harrigan, that's me!

-George M. Cohan

Bio:
http://www.hollywood.com/celebs/bio/celeb/347974

old hand
old hand
By way of trumping TEd (in some other thread someplace), today also happens to be the 102nd birth anniversary of my father - Norwegian, not Irish, but a redhead in his youth anyway.

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
the 102nd birth anniversary of my father - Norwegian, not Irish, but a redhead in his youth anyway

Norwegian he may have been - but remember all that Viking that went on ? With Norsemen sweeping down on Ireland, pillaging, plundering and taking the women home with them (Those Norsemen knew beautiful women who were great cooks and hellcats in bed when they saw 'em) So I think that red hair may have been come through the geneological line.
The Irish are everywhere, one way and another![

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, it seems that at my paternal Grandmother's funeral nigh about "a few years ago" I found out from some long lost relative that there was a great-great Irish Grandmother somewhere in the family tree. I was deeeelighted, having always been enamored of Ireland and all things Irish! So now I could exalt, "I have the blood of Erin runnin' in me bones!" And the next St. Patrick's Day I was living in New York City, where I pursued my writing and performing while working as a gourmet salad chef at a place called, "Blazing Salads" (well, that's just a whole nother story waitin' to be told ), and I was planning to really 'do this St. Paddy's Day up' and celebrate my knowin' that I, indeed, had the blood of Erin runnin' in me bones! So that St. Patrick's Day must've fallen on a Sunday, too (I worked six days a week). And, since I lived on E. 11th St., we went off to start the "day" (with some new acquaintences from work) at McSorley's Tavern down on 7th St. in the Lower East Side (East Village) at, oh, about 10-10:30 in the morning. At bit early for gettin' a start, but, hey!...it was only one day a year, and a very secial day now that I had 'some Irish in me!' McSorley's is a historic, and once very-traditional barroom...didn't allow the ladies till about '75, I believe. Giant marble urinals, belly up to the bar (no stools), and sawdust on the floor to soak-up the spit ('course nobody spit anymore), and small wooden tables and chairs arranged around the small barroom). There we grabbed a table and started with pitchers of beer and a shot or two of Jameson (always had to be Jameson for me...the old Jameson/Bush Mills debate...and I remember parties where we drank flaming shots (literally) of Irish whisky...always Jameson...and, 'course, there were always the panty-weights who insisted on sipping their Bailey's Irish Creme, but who needs these bores around at a GOOD party, right? ) So, there at McSorley's, we commenced, ate lunch, and then continued our journey uptown for the famous St. Patrick's Day Parade...well, to make a loooong story short, we partied the entire length of the parade, stopping in the bars, buying beers to take out along the route (nobody cares about public drinking on this day in New York!), and a little bit of sweet smoke or two. Well it all became just a joyous, raucous blur, when, suddenly, there I was at a Blarney Stone Pub on 6th Avenue and 46th street at about 1am in the morning, still going strong. All through the day I'm cheering myself, "I've got the blood of Erin runnin' through me bones!", and periodically flashing a small paperback copy of a Eugene O'Neill biography I had tucked inside my coat pocket (well, I fiigured he oughtta come along for the party! ). But everyone enjoyed the weirdness, because, on this day in New York too much is never enough! So, there I be, strikin' up a conversation with this little lass named Mary (it had to be Mary, wouldn't'cha know?) from Boston (it had to be Boston, wouldn't'cha know?) at the Blarney Stone in the wee hours of the night. Finally, we walked outside at about two o'clock to share a joint and we hit it off so good that we exchanged phone numbers (nothing was going to happen that night, trust me folks, at this point we were both entirely too obliterated). We kissed good-night and ventured on our way...probably sure we'd never see each other again. Well, it just so happened that I had a friend move to Boston and I went to visit him about a year and a half later. First thing I did was call up Mary when I got to town, and she insisted on dropping eveything and giving me a whilrwind tour of Boston...a day I'll never forget, like out of the movies! (sigh) Capped off by some of the finest Irish coffee I ever tasted!
We kept in touch for awhile after that, but, you know...those long distance romances....

So there you are, the grandest St. Patrick's Day Party of them all! (for me, anyway) And its Boston sequel.
Guess I'll never top that one! Anybody else have a good one?...St Patrick's Day party story, I mean?

B
old hand
old hand
B
I worked at An Irish pub in the centre of Munich yesterday behind the bar. The St. Pat's Day march used to end at Odeon's Platz right near the pub, but some people complained, what with all the Irish, Aussie and Brit drinkers being rowdy on a Sunday, so now the parade ends at the pub I worked at. Needless to say, there was a very merry time to be had by all. I spent the day serving or carrying round barrels and barrels of Irland's 'black gold' and I am tired today.

#61167 03/18/02 01:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ahhhh.... a lovey New York Story. Thank you for that, Juan. Sure am glad you found that bit of Irish blood! I can't top your story (or not here, anyway ). I used to go to McSorley's a lot (always in the company of male-persuasion types, of course). One of them used to insist that it was in the back room there that most of the money for the IRA was raised. Urban myth, no doubt.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mc Sorley's admitted ladies in the late sixties..68 or 69, says a lady who was there in them days.. (remember, drinking age used to 18) Actually, i was there the very first year woman were permitted to grace the place.

McSorley's is always on my walking tour of grand old NY bars, (most of which are irish), and it has a fine history.

its only steps away from Cooper Union, at it was at the Lincoln Douglas Debate, held at Cooper Union, that Lincoln made a national reputation. Afterwards, he was invited to have a bit of refreshment, (i think it was Whitman. (walt, not juan) who invited him) the chair he sat in was hoisted up to the ceiling, to preserve it, but the wood joints dried out, and its all in pieces now.

like many NY bars, it didn't quite close during prohibition. but became a members only club. it never became a wild famous speak easy, but keep a low profile, and bribed the cops, and went about its business.

the beer is sold in pints or pitchers, and $5 a pint sound high, but its alway buy one, get one free, so its not too dear.

NY law requires (since prohibition) all bars to serve food. MrSorleys serves cheese and onions on crackers, or liver sausage and onions. more elebrate fare is offered, but no one goes there to eat.

one of my favorite bars, is cross town, the EAR- it used to just be BAR but, during prohibition, the neon sign was painted and BAR became EAR. its just a block north of canal, almost at the river (North River) and build on land fill, over time the old piling have rotted, and the floor resembles a roller coaster.

the old Eagle bar on 14th and 10th Ave-- the poor irish end of chelsea, is now the villiage idiot. gone are all the folk singers, and warmth of old friends. now its trendy.

but up a few blocks, you can still go to Moran's, on 10th and 19th street, deep in the old meat packing district. a warm fire will great you on a cold night, and when the buffet has roast beef, the carver always has a spoon handy, for those of us who still ask "Can i have some of the blood too?" as we called the deep red juice of a rare roast of beef.

on the sunday Juan was working his way uptown (about 8 years ago, when St Patrick's day was on a Sunday, or an anniversay of the same) I was uptown, at the Museum of the City of NY, to see Gotham, a history of the irish exhibit. Frank and Malachi McCourt were there, acting out skits based on some of the information in "Angela's Ashes" and other material. (left, i guess, on the publishing equivilent of the cutting room floor.)

I walked down town, as the parade worked its way uptown, from 100 street down to Penn Station (about a 5 mile walk)

It was a beautiful day, clear and crisp, with enough of a breeze to keep the flags moving, but not so much that they gave a fight.

Nowadays, open bottles and drinking are discouraged (by police men with nylon loop handcuffs and summumes.)

N
addict
addict
N
nylon loop handcuffs and summumes

Nylon loop handcuffs I can figure out, but what's (or what're) summumes???

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: but what's (or what're) summumes???

something similar to a summomses-- the former is what happens when you are busy at AWAD, and notice your boss fast approaching, and want to post something before he enters your cube. the latter i presume you know.

A
addict
addict
A
but what's (or what're) summumes???
something similar to a summomses

OK.....Let me help a little here. I do believe what Helen has been trying desperately to say is summons or plural, summonses. AKA a ticket!

R
addict
addict
R
However, 10 am GMT is 5 am here ... I'd love to see the parade but 5 Ante Meridian!
I don't think so.

Pardons for that. It actually started at 12:00 noon!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Howya Whitty

I don't want ta be given out ta ya or anthin - but it's acyually the "Derry Air".

Be seein ya

GT

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith