Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
A few Irish-isms for ye on this Great Day.
Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.

You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune.

When the cat is outside, the mouse does be dancing.

A lock is better than suspicion.

Every patient is a doctor after his cure.

The longest road out is the shortest road home.

Everyone is wise til he speaks.

There's no need to fear the wind if your haystacks are tied down.

Firelight will not let you read fine stories
but it is warm and you won't see the dust on the floor.

Marriages are all happy.
It's having breakfast together that causes all the trouble.

The Irish always forgive their great men ... when they are safely buried.

#61159 03/17/02 02:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
****A HAPPY SAINT PATRICK"S DAY TO US ALL****

"May the road rise to meet you,
And may the wind be always at your back!..."

#61160 03/17/02 02:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Erin go Braugh!!

(and check out Google's logo for today!)

#61161 03/17/02 02:13 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And if you don't know what "Erin go Braugh" means, here is a URL:
http://membres.lycos.fr/irelandirish/content/irish-gaelic-phrases.php

#61162 03/17/02 02:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
George M. Cohan...another great Irish-American! Here's his picture and song list, and also a short bio:

Picture and song list:
http://www.melodylane.net/standards4.html

HARRIGAN

H-A-Double RI-G-A-N spells Harrigan!
Proud of all the Irish blood that's in me.
Divil a man can say a word agin me!
Oh, H-A-Double RI-G-A-N you see!
It's a name that a shame never has been connected with
Harrigan, that's me!

-George M. Cohan

Bio:
http://www.hollywood.com/celebs/bio/celeb/347974

old hand
old hand
By way of trumping TEd (in some other thread someplace), today also happens to be the 102nd birth anniversary of my father - Norwegian, not Irish, but a redhead in his youth anyway.

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
the 102nd birth anniversary of my father - Norwegian, not Irish, but a redhead in his youth anyway

Norwegian he may have been - but remember all that Viking that went on ? With Norsemen sweeping down on Ireland, pillaging, plundering and taking the women home with them (Those Norsemen knew beautiful women who were great cooks and hellcats in bed when they saw 'em) So I think that red hair may have been come through the geneological line.
The Irish are everywhere, one way and another![

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, it seems that at my paternal Grandmother's funeral nigh about "a few years ago" I found out from some long lost relative that there was a great-great Irish Grandmother somewhere in the family tree. I was deeeelighted, having always been enamored of Ireland and all things Irish! So now I could exalt, "I have the blood of Erin runnin' in me bones!" And the next St. Patrick's Day I was living in New York City, where I pursued my writing and performing while working as a gourmet salad chef at a place called, "Blazing Salads" (well, that's just a whole nother story waitin' to be told ), and I was planning to really 'do this St. Paddy's Day up' and celebrate my knowin' that I, indeed, had the blood of Erin runnin' in me bones! So that St. Patrick's Day must've fallen on a Sunday, too (I worked six days a week). And, since I lived on E. 11th St., we went off to start the "day" (with some new acquaintences from work) at McSorley's Tavern down on 7th St. in the Lower East Side (East Village) at, oh, about 10-10:30 in the morning. At bit early for gettin' a start, but, hey!...it was only one day a year, and a very secial day now that I had 'some Irish in me!' McSorley's is a historic, and once very-traditional barroom...didn't allow the ladies till about '75, I believe. Giant marble urinals, belly up to the bar (no stools), and sawdust on the floor to soak-up the spit ('course nobody spit anymore), and small wooden tables and chairs arranged around the small barroom). There we grabbed a table and started with pitchers of beer and a shot or two of Jameson (always had to be Jameson for me...the old Jameson/Bush Mills debate...and I remember parties where we drank flaming shots (literally) of Irish whisky...always Jameson...and, 'course, there were always the panty-weights who insisted on sipping their Bailey's Irish Creme, but who needs these bores around at a GOOD party, right? ) So, there at McSorley's, we commenced, ate lunch, and then continued our journey uptown for the famous St. Patrick's Day Parade...well, to make a loooong story short, we partied the entire length of the parade, stopping in the bars, buying beers to take out along the route (nobody cares about public drinking on this day in New York!), and a little bit of sweet smoke or two. Well it all became just a joyous, raucous blur, when, suddenly, there I was at a Blarney Stone Pub on 6th Avenue and 46th street at about 1am in the morning, still going strong. All through the day I'm cheering myself, "I've got the blood of Erin runnin' through me bones!", and periodically flashing a small paperback copy of a Eugene O'Neill biography I had tucked inside my coat pocket (well, I fiigured he oughtta come along for the party! ). But everyone enjoyed the weirdness, because, on this day in New York too much is never enough! So, there I be, strikin' up a conversation with this little lass named Mary (it had to be Mary, wouldn't'cha know?) from Boston (it had to be Boston, wouldn't'cha know?) at the Blarney Stone in the wee hours of the night. Finally, we walked outside at about two o'clock to share a joint and we hit it off so good that we exchanged phone numbers (nothing was going to happen that night, trust me folks, at this point we were both entirely too obliterated). We kissed good-night and ventured on our way...probably sure we'd never see each other again. Well, it just so happened that I had a friend move to Boston and I went to visit him about a year and a half later. First thing I did was call up Mary when I got to town, and she insisted on dropping eveything and giving me a whilrwind tour of Boston...a day I'll never forget, like out of the movies! (sigh) Capped off by some of the finest Irish coffee I ever tasted!
We kept in touch for awhile after that, but, you know...those long distance romances....

So there you are, the grandest St. Patrick's Day Party of them all! (for me, anyway) And its Boston sequel.
Guess I'll never top that one! Anybody else have a good one?...St Patrick's Day party story, I mean?

B
old hand
old hand
B
I worked at An Irish pub in the centre of Munich yesterday behind the bar. The St. Pat's Day march used to end at Odeon's Platz right near the pub, but some people complained, what with all the Irish, Aussie and Brit drinkers being rowdy on a Sunday, so now the parade ends at the pub I worked at. Needless to say, there was a very merry time to be had by all. I spent the day serving or carrying round barrels and barrels of Irland's 'black gold' and I am tired today.

#61167 03/18/02 01:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ahhhh.... a lovey New York Story. Thank you for that, Juan. Sure am glad you found that bit of Irish blood! I can't top your story (or not here, anyway ). I used to go to McSorley's a lot (always in the company of male-persuasion types, of course). One of them used to insist that it was in the back room there that most of the money for the IRA was raised. Urban myth, no doubt.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith