#60459 03/16/02 01:16 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Henry Ford has been quoted, a bit inaccurately as saying "History is bunk"
Here is a URL about it:http://www.who2.com/henryford.html

I had not heard before about his anti-Semitism and pre-war support of Adolf Hitler.

#60460 03/16/02 02:27 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Ford's antisemitism was reasonably well known among jews. There were two makes of car that may parents would never consider buying: Ford, and Volkswagen.

P
addict
addict
P
"Christmas in July" it is! Written and directed by Preston Sturges in 1940, it starred Dick Powell and Ellen Drew. Powell, in the character of Jimmy MacDonald, uses the words as you remembered them, Helen.

Information from Internet Movie Database (us.imdb.com)

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
the old guard is often scornful of newer views
How true. In fact, the old guard is always scornful of the newer view. That's why they are "the old guard".

The truth doesn't require any "guarding", least of all by those who have become overly-attached to it by reason of custom rather than acuity.

And just as there are cycles of "bunk", ushered in when a verity like the flat earth sinks like a ship over the horizon, so also there are cycles of virtue when vices become virtues and virtues become vices again.

Take greed, for instance. Thursday's Wall Street Journal carries this headline on the first page. "How Decade of Greed Undid the Proud Respectability of a Very Old Professional". And guess what, they're not talking about the world's oldest profession. They're talking about the Enron auditors who approved the Balance Sheet shell game that turned massive losses into spectacular profits, leading to the largest collapse in corporate history.

I thought greed was supposed to be good for us. Sometimes greed doesn't trickle down. It thunders down.

#60463 03/17/02 12:55 AM
M
M
Are Peter Duesberg's ideas about AIDS and HIV bunk?
What are his ideas, Fallible?

#60464 03/17/02 01:14 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
http://www.duesberg.com/
Professor Duesberg's credentials are so impressive, the fact that only a few scientists support him would not justify calling his views "bunk", even though they may subsequently be completely discredited.

#60465 03/17/02 12:13 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
...lesser folk publish bunk.

The same phenomenon occurred with [Nobel-prize-winner] Linus Pauling's assessment of the value of megadoses of Vitamin C, not validated by later work though certainly sporting anecdotal reports and testimonials galore on its behalf.

M
old hand
old hand
M
Yes, I remember well Linus Pauling's claims of great health benefits of massive doses of vitamin "C" . Bunk? I don't know, how old was Linus when he died?

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
credentials so impressive what he says isn't bunk
Ordinarily, I would agree with you, wwh. But, in this case, Duesberg's "crusade" is considered dangerous by many because it subverts the "safe sex" message. Duesberg's detractors argue that his public stridency as an "HIV-refusenik" is a huge gamble and therefore irresponsible because his science is no more conclusive than the science he impugns.

A January 2002 article in the French publication "Sciences et Avenir" acknowledges that Duesberg is providing a useful service in keeping researchers on their toes, but it also warns that Duesberg has invested so much in his crusade, he may have lost his objectivity.

Perhaps we ought to consider a further refinement on your qualifications for "bunk", wwh. Fraud, ignorance + evangelical apostasy more distinguished for its potential for public harm than for public good.

I grant it is easier to debunk Duesberg's mission than his science.

#60468 03/17/02 06:40 PM
veteran
veteran

I haven't read his site in a long time, but from what I recall, his main idea is that HIV doesn't cause AIDS and that AIDS itself is not one affliction, but numerous poorly diagnosed conditions that are caused by drugs.

This probably isn't *exactly* it, but it's close enough, I think. It's a pretty unpopular view and I there's surely a lot of people who would say it's bunk. But *I* don't know enough to say that it is. I'm sure there are a lot of people who *know* a lot of things that could feel comfortable saying it's bunk. Of that number, I would guess there's very few who are actually qualified to make a judgement.

From outside we have a small group of dissenters (some of whom have very good credentials) against a vast collection of scientists who think this view is not just wrong, but dangerous.

k

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 932 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith