About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Found this searching for "cornobble"...no, don't ask!

A little late, CapK, but there you are!

And if you ever decide to head down this way, Max, you'll be all set!

http://nz.com/NZ/Culture/AmericanCulture.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh it is great!

read down, all the way.. i liked PBS/Channel 1
right down to Fox..

and we say naaaw.. (almost the same a gnaw,but stretched out for no, too!) and Nope!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
More Kiwi phrases likely to cause confusion in the US

Can I borrow your rubber (meaning an eraser, not a condom)

You didn't ask anyone that while you were here...did'ja, Cap?

#59861 03/05/02 10:53 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
[warning - food subthread]

Pop tarts These are flat pastry pockets filled with a substance like jam but with more sugar and less flavour. For good measure, they are coated with extremely sweet icing. Sounds reasonable enough so far, doesn't it but ... get this... they are actually designed to be heated in a toaster and eaten for breakfast. I sent some of these to my sister in NZ. She wrote back saying "these explain a lot about Americans". And so they do. url in first post

Sadly we have these here in Britain - very strange. I am glad to discover that we didn't invent them. They should be cast into the wheelie bin without opening. I was wondering if the sudden surge in diabetes was related to their sales figures. A strange was to start the day. [warning off]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Sweet WO'N, thank you! What a neat site! So, it seems that in politics, we run and Brit-speakers stand. I was glad to see that--I didn't know it meant that someone was trying to be elected. I'd thought it meant they already had been.

But what's that thing about us not calling chemists chemists? Of course we call them chemists--they are people whose job is working with chemicals.

G
old hand
old hand
G
Can I borrow your rubber

When I was in high school (11th grade, ca 1961) my English text book had the following prargraph, which I memorized, due to its being howlingly archaic even at that time:

"Why do boys detest wearing rubbers more than girls? With their superior strength, boys should be able to jerk rubbers on and off more expertly than girls. The real test, however, is putting rubbers on a squirming three-year-old. Girls are better at this than boys." The following year, the texts substituted "overshoes" for "rubbers." A costly recall because of a change in meaning!

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H

American: girl's basketball
New Zealand: netball from that site...

Oh puh-lease!!! Look, I know it's Zild, but it's not the end of the earth you know oh, ok so it is, but I gotta be careful here, cos I ain't far away from it. I'm sure they have basketball there too. I've played both and there ain't no way no how they's the same thing, not even on the other side of the globe!

Hev

#59865 03/06/02 05:46 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Oh Geoff, I'm ROTFLMAO .... How funny!

Hev

#59866 03/06/02 06:14 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
With the exception of the first list of foods - not one of my obsessions - most New Zealanders understand all of the other pairs, and in fact the site should probably have been called "NZ terms for confused USns", because that's the direction most of the confusion exists in! There are also a number of significant errors in the various lists.

You could say that thanks to TV and the endless deluge of other American media most NZers would have absolutely no problems in the States (and no, I didn't ask for a rubber. Do I look stupid?), but I know from experience that many US tourists in NZ spend a lot of their time completely flummoxed by the differences in idiom.

The biggest problem we had in the States was our accent.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 955 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith