#59640 03/04/02 11:44 PM
H
hev Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
H
http://www.uselessknowledge.com/

What a fun site!! I did a search on this and specific parts of it have been referred to here before, so I hope I'm forgiven for mentioning it again.

Useless Knowledge ... an oxymoron for sure.

Hev

#59641 03/06/02 08:45 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear hev: I can't find anything about it on the Internet, but when sound movies first began, there was a lousy first movie (cowboys and Indians),a serial, an intermission during which everybody went to buy more popcorn,while the projectionist rewound the film, and then the feature. Frequently the serial was one called "College Humor". Its theme song started " We're working our way through college, to gain a lot of knowledge that we'll never, ever use again....."
Nonsense 101 is still being taught in many places.

old hand
old hand
Funny - I just received a solicitation from the theatre department in which I studied for my degree. They were urgently calling upon all alums for testimonial quotes for their new marketing campaign to prospective students. Being a realist, my submission was "Everyone may say you can't make a living in the theatre - they may be right. Even so, the Willamette University Theatre department provides an excellent foundation for an interesting life."

I'll let you all know when the royalty checks start rolling in.

While I'm waiting, that site will surely keep me entertained. Thanks for sharing it, hev - right up my alley!

#59643 03/07/02 02:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Julius Caesar's hat size.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Julius Caesar's hat size [unusually large, as I recall]

Of course -- which is why his birthing was by the eponymous Caesarean section.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: Quite a while ago I posted from official gynecology and obstetrical site that Caesar was not born that way. And the spelling the site preferred was Cesarean.

Yet, the early history of cesarean section remains shrouded in myth and is of dubious accuracy. Even the origin of
"cesarean" has apparently been distorted over time. It is commonly believed to be derived from the surgical birth of
Julius Caesar, however this seems unlikely since his mother Aurelia is reputed to have lived to hear of her son's
invasion of Britain.
At that time the procedure was performed only when the mother was dead or dying, as an attempt
to save the child for a state wishing to increase its population. Roman law under Caesar decreed that all women who
were so fated by childbirth must be cut open; hence, cesarean. Other possible Latin origins include the verb
"caedare," meaning to cut, and the term "caesones" that was applied to infants born by postmortem operations.
Ultimately, though, we cannot be sure of where or when the term cesarean was derived. Until the sixteenth and
seventeenth centuries the procedure was known as cesarean operation. This began to change following the
publication in 1598 of Jacques Guillimeau's book on midwifery in which he introduced the term "section."
Increasingly thereafter "section" replaced "operation."

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Interesting, dr. bill. bartleby says this term comes "[f]rom the traditional belief that Julius Caesar (or his eponymous ancestor) was born by this operation", but I frankly find your explanation more persuasive.

A
addict
addict
A
Here's some interesting facts I came upon:

1. If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have roduced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. (Hardly seems worth it.)

2. If you passed gas consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb. (Now that's more like it!)

3. The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet. (O.M.G.!)

4. A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes. (I want to be a pig.)

5. A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death. (Creepy, But I'm still not over the pig.)

6. Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour. (Do not try this at home...maybe at work.)

7. The male preying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off. (" Honey, I'm home. What the....?!" )

8. The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of a football field. (30 minutes...can you imagine??)

9. The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds. (What could be so tasty on the bottom of a pond?)

10. Some lions mate over 50 times a day. ( I still want to be a pig...quality over quantity.)

11. Butterflies taste with their feet. (Something I never wanted to know.)

12. Elephants are the only animal that cannot jump. (OK, so that's a good thing....enough holes in the earth as it is, do we need more!!!!)

13. A cat's urine glows under a black light. (I wonder who was paid to figure that out?)

14. An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. (I know some people like that.)

15. Starfish have no brains. (I know some people like that too.)

16. Polar bears are left-handed. (Who knew? Who cares!)

17. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure. (What about that pig??!!!)

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
"and the pig got up and slowly walked away"

#59649 03/08/02 01:18 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith