Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And a big USn congrats to the Canadiennes.

I find watching hockey on TV to be an exercise in futility; buncha people skating around to no apparent purpose then suddenly half of them raise their cudgels in the air with looks of glee. They should maybe make the puck bright flashing pink so that it can be seen.

F
addict
addict
F
They should maybe make the puck bright flashing pink so that it can be seen.

Fox (or some network) tried an experiment where using a special puck and sensors around the arena, on your TV screen the puck was surrounded by a blue glow. It even let you see where the puck was along the near-side boards (usually impossible due to the camera angle). I thought it was a great innovation, but the whinging of purists combined with the $400/puck price tag brought about its quick demise.

#58077 02/22/02 03:50 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
make the puck bright flashing pink so that it can be seen

I don't watch too much hockey, but didn't they actually do something just like that for a while? Using the technology more commonly seen in football games with the yellow first-down line? For some reason it didn't go over.

Edit: five minutes late (and $400 short), I see. FL's post wasn't there when I looked two minutes earlier! :-)
...Oh well. Let it stand.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Needless to say, Canadians had a field day with that one. We are privately quite proud of our ability to watch a hockey game and follow the motion of the puck unassisted, thank you very much!

When you watch a lot of hockey, you know where to watch for the puck. The cameramen have to be especially good. It was pretty noticeable during one point in the game on TV yesterday - one girl blasted a pass in one direction, my head turned that way, the camera went that way - then we realized that by some quirk of physics the puck had bounced the other way, and the view whipped back across the ice. The camera almost never loses sight of the puck to that extent. I nearly got whiplash following the view to the other end of the ice!

#58079 02/22/02 05:04 PM
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
congrats to the UK curlers..........all scottish of course and yes all the stones weigh 42lbs each, and the British team skipper is estimated to have pushed 5 tons of rock over 50 miles during the course of 13 matches, and yes the stones all come from the Ailsa Craig quarry in Scotland where the game began.

the Duncster

the Duncster
#58080 02/22/02 06:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Angel:

I dunno how she can say no Bel! I have two waffle irons I could bring with me to make the task easier.

I can just see me explaining to customs, "yes sir, they are waffle irons. What are they for? Well, um, they are, um, for making waffles?" She said wafflingly!

Oh no! Why didn't Faldage tell me this? I know Michigan is a long way away from upstart [sic] NY, but.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B

OOOO Faldage, put 'em up, put 'em up. You are in trouble now...

make the puck bright flashing pink so that it can be seen

Heaven forfend! I'm with Bean on this one. It was terribly distracting to have that blue line trailing after the puck like a comet tail all over the ice.

Just a little perspective here...It is a BLACK puck on a WHITE surface.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a BLACK puck on a WHITE surface

Moving very fast and looking very small. I can see that if you understand what the skaters are doing that it probably looks a little less like willy nilly skating about, but it's no way to be introduced to the sport. I don't even like watching *baseball on TV. I want to make up my own mind about where to look.

#58083 02/22/02 07:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OOOO Faldage, put 'em up, put 'em up. You are in trouble now...

He's in trouble from all quarters now... [checking passport]

#58084 02/22/02 08:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JazzO and I will agree with you on this one!

[Oh, that's Scots rock...]

... as long as I'm on a roll...

The Simpson family are driving through Capitol City where "Dancing Homer" is gonna work the 5th inning (the Beer inning) as their apprentice mascot... as they pass a trio of guys dressed in black Hebrew garb Bart yells out "Look! There's ZZ Top"... "YOU GUYS ROCK". One looks back and says, "EH... maybe a liddle".

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith