Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Now Rubrick, we all have odd tastes we can't account for at times.

For some reason beyond my understanding I love watching the movie Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and singing along with the lyrics...and it's so cheesy. [shrug emoticon]

old hand
old hand
> Romper-Stomper was pretty gritty, though, although perhaps a leedle less generic.

Spot on.

One of the things I noted about OWW (what an apt acronym!!) was that New Zealand and South Auckland were never mentioned in the movie. Of course the localities were taken for granted by all Ozzildians, received at a subliminal level, but I'll bet that a few members of overseas audiences were unsure where the film was shot. Some probably thought it was Hawaii, Fiji or maybe even the Caribbean. This ploy enables the story and the message of the film to apply to life in any ghetto of the world.

stales

#57381 02/19/02 02:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I loved the book, but the movie was even better, IMHO. The funny thing about Robin Williams, I like it when he's not trying to be funny. When he is being funny, he's a hoot and a half. It just seems that he never gets due recognition for the serious, though. I'm thinking "What Dreams May Come". I still cry every time I see it.
Another that fits this category,"Anatomy of a Murder". Jimmy Stewart and Lee Remmick. She was the perfect 1950's out-of-her-element hussy in the wilds of the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Jimmy, the perfect backwater lawyer, ready to be taken in by a pretty face and bullet breasts.
And, of course, "Johnny Got His Gun". The book and the movie were pretty equal. The definitive anti-war movie.

R
addict
addict
R
Then of course there's oh Brother Where Art Thou?. Well, it's sure funnier than the Odyssey!

Especially the KKK dance routine. I was in howls!

R
addict
addict
R
Have to disagree with whoever above said that the movie A Clockwork Orange was better than the book. The book was different to the movie, but, IMHO, much more chilling. Guess it's subjective, huh!

They showed a Kubrick season last year at my local arthouse. It was pretty impossible to get to all of them in two weeks but 2001 in 70mm is impressive no matter what you think of the film!!

I didn't get to see A Clockwork Orange (preferring to see Barry Lyndon with my girlfriend) but the programme blurb mentioned that he was inspired (perhaps not the correct use of this word) by the rape of his wife. The experience must have convinced him to make a far more graphical film.

BTW A Clockwork Orange is one of only three films to have been banned in Ireland by the censor. The other two are Lolita (Also Kubrick) and, more strangely (but not when you think about it) The Life of Brian. All of the bans have since been lifted.

The funny thing is I've seen them several times thanks to cross-channel television!

R
addict
addict
R
but whoa. That's enough for me to be convinced he was one freaky dude.

Yeah, great huh? That's his appeal to me.

R
addict
addict
R
For some reason beyond my understanding I love watching the movie Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and singing along with the lyrics...and it's so cheesy. [shrug emoticon]

Oooooooohhhhhhh, I love to dance a little sidestep! [coming out of the woodwork emoticon]

Signed

A. Film-buff III

R
addict
addict
R
I loved the movie, and it's hard to imagine a print version of Sellers.

Ja, Mein Fuehrer! I mean, Mr. President....

Am I destined to spend all morning writing one-liners from Kubrick films???

#57387 02/19/02 12:04 PM
old hand
old hand
Is it just coincidence? Am I to dismiss it as accidental that you even posted with a Subject line of "Eyes Wide Shut" in the Usages that send us screaming thread? Ladies and Gentlemen, I offer that we may have a poster from beyond the grave! Cleverly disguised by the replacement of a single letter (which, come to think of it, could be accomplished as an alteration with one swift stroke of the pen - it's not hard to make an R out of a K), and in our presence to defend his own hono(u)r.

So tell us, Freaky Dude, just what were you thinking?

#57388 02/19/02 12:31 PM
R
addict
addict
R
red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum red rum!

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith