Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56066 02/09/02 10:04 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
I have recently received the following from a single party, whom I hope it will not be necessary to name:

January 29: Keiva, if you insist on being merely a stupid pompous asshole, why don't you just piss off as you said you were going to do? The reaction of most of us is likely to be "don't bang your ass on the door as you go.

February 9: I am not your buddy, nor am ever likely to be. I only retracted that previosu post because _______ requested me to do so. I spoke for at least seven people on this baord when I said what I did, and I stand by it.

[sic; transcript of related messages available on request]

I report factually; I do not comment. Tomorrow I shall similarly report dry statistics of how such remarks have affected the board.

K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Is this a big problem, or a little one? Looking at the record:

We had slightly over 10,000 posts in the 120-day period starting last October 1. Some people posted more than others of course, and it broke down as follows (without naming names):

1320 posts
1140 posts; person driven off by hurtful comment
833 posts
794 posts; person driven of by hurtful comment
636 posts; 623; 575
406 posts; 379
375 posts; person driven off by hurtful comment
344 posts; 286; 264
238 posts; 220
208 posts by a sender of hurtful comment
196 posts; 170; 170 again
156 posts; person driven off by hurtful comment
152 posts; 113; 112
99 posts by a sender of hurtful comment
88 posts; 80;
54 posts; 35
23 posts by a sender of hurtful comment
20 posts by a sender of hurtful comment

Those driven into silence provided 24½% of our posts.
Those driving them away provided 3½% (not counting hurtfulness that the recipient was able to "shrug off").

I would not raise this matter if only a few posts were driven away. But when we lose people who accounted for a full quarter of our discussions, has the problem reached a degree where it is seriously damaging to our board -- with a few people drowning out substantial voices?

After opportunity for comment, I will suggest what I hope would be a solution painless for all.

#56068 02/11/02 06:49 AM
D
addict
addict
D
I have to say this, though I can see that it may cause offence. I do hope it doesn't. It ties in with a post of mine in another thread, which basically asserts that this is a community of people, not a board of posted messages. The fact that such a small number of people contributed such a significant portion of the posts may very well be the underlying problem. Not only does this increase the chance of these posters causing offence (albeit inadvertently), mentioning a touchy subject, or making mistakes, it also may be seen as disruptive to the board community and somewhat overpowering, especially by old-timers. Hence, from my scientific mind:

[Hypothesis 1] It may be that the hurters view AWAD as merely a board and find the enjoyment and information gained from reading the messages reduced by the community-believeing hurtees. [/Hypothesis 1]
[Hypothesis 2] It may be that the hurters view AWAD as a community and are annoyed by the purely-message-posting hurtees who they believe have little regard for the traditions and friendships of the board. [/Hypothesis 2]
[Hypothesis 3] A combination of 1 and 2 may be more accurate. [/Hypothesis 3]
[Hypothesis 4] I may be full of s**t. [/Hypothesis 4]

I really don't care which, if any, are true. What I do care about is learning about words and language in a fun and stimulating environment. That's what AWAD was for when I first arrived, and when it stops being that, I shall leave. Please don't let it stop.

#56069 02/11/02 04:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...full quarter of our discussions...

Within your opinion of the definition of 'discussion', of course.

#56070 02/11/02 10:09 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
What I do care about is learning about words and language in a fun and stimulating environment. That's what AWAD was for when I first arrived, and when it stops being that, I shall leave. Please don't let it stop.

Wot he said...

[soapbox]And now for what I say: I have resisted entering into these discussions up until now, but I think it might (IMHO) be useful for me to say this.

My first day lurking on this board I encountered the numerous posts (in numerous threads) about all the negativity that was going on here. It almost scared me away. I'm glad to say I persisted, and have managed to find the parts of this board that I really enjoy. What I do wish though is that these topics would just stop coming up. Let's stop over-analysing, and criticising and whatever, and just get on with the purpose of this Board, which is - I believe - to enjoy words. In order to enjoy those words, we must be prepared to interact with other people who may or may not agree with us. It takes all kinds to make a world.

JazzOctopus has come up with an idea to find new members. It's a great idea, but what happens if their first encounters are like mine, and they aren't quite so persistent. We'll be scaring people away rather than attracting them.

I know there are people out there who may disagree with some (or all) of what I've said, but please let's not get into yet another war of words. This is meant to be a positive post, and I'm writing this with the very best of intentions. I love what I'm experiencing and learning here (and regularly have to try and contain my fits of laughter so that I don't have to try and explain it all to my work colleagues).

Can we end all this?

Climbing
.........down
.............off
.................my
...................[soapbox]

and looking forward to lots more words !

Hev

K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Maxim: Don’t point to a problem unless you’re prepared to suggest a solution.

We have a problem of people being hurt by comments felt as rude. In the spirit of that maxim, may I suggest a credo which, if enough of us adopt and follow it, will go far to help us deal with the hurts that are sure to occur from time to time?
-------------------
1. I don’t claim to be perfect. When I err and am rude, I’ll sincerely apologize.

2. I don’t expect others to perfect. When I get an apology like that, I’ll accept it graciously.

3. When someone else is hurt by rudeness without apology, it is my responsibility, to the board, to post to assuage him or her. I'll do that (unless others have already done it and I would be merely cumulative). I won't leave them feeling alone and abandoned.

4.. Rudeness includes abusive language, personal attacks or gratuitous stepping on someone else’s sensibilities.

Don't let it fester: skip any excuses; skip long analysis that "something else was really meant". Just apologize, and go on. And don’t play the game of "pushing the envelope" to see just how much "borderline rudeness" you can get away with.

#56072 02/13/02 12:51 AM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
In general (and without regard to quibbles over the details), who else feels this might be a viable way to proceed?

I'm signing up for that credo, provided others do.

Keiva: yes

#56073 02/13/02 01:03 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Maxim: Don’t point to a problem unless you’re prepared to suggest a solution.

I agree there is a problem. And I agree with the solution you have provided.

Angel: yes

#56074 02/13/02 01:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, mercy, I think most of us have been doing these things, and I plan to continue...but if I intended something other than what was interpreted, I'm going to try to get that across.

#56075 02/13/02 01:46 AM
old hand
old hand
Already there...

stales

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith