Next Thread
Print Thread
#55986 02/09/02 04:22 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
dear oh dear oh dear

More worryingly, the English cowpat arcadia of Hobbiton and the Shire, tolerable in The Hobbit, is unbearably twee at the start of The Lord of the Rings. Even Auden conceded that it was "a little shy-making."

But finally it is what is left out of The Lord of the Rings that makes one wonder if this is really a book for adults. Tolkien invented his own mythological world, but it lacks the dignity and the sinew of a real mythology, for it is without religion and essentially without sex.

excerpted from:
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/012802/jenkyns012802_print.html

#55987 02/09/02 05:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, hmmm. I'm not too much in favour of analysing books to death; I had to do it at school and I never got anything out of it that was really worth having. All authors have their faults. My yardstick is almost solely: Did I enjoy it? If the answer is "yes", then there's an end to it.

Much of what Jenkyns postulates is probably true. Hobbiton is twee. The story is essentially sexless. Aragorn's love affair with Arwen is about as juicy as it gets, which ain't very. Religion, as such, doesn't even rear its ugly head. Politically, it's naive with only two types of government with some variations: Anarchic democracy (the Shire) and totalitarianism, both benevolent and malevolent (Gondor and Lothlorien are benevolent; Mordor under Sauron and Rohan under Saruman are malevolent. That Tolkien chose to reflect those styles of government is not surprising; he was writing at the time of the rise of nazism in Germany and facism in Italy and Spain, in the face of which even the flawed distributed democracies of Britain and the US probably seemed like a beacon shining in the growing gloom. In Britain, at the time, dark clouds were gathering in the east and Tolkien merely reflected that.

To be frank, I don't think Tolkien gave a damn about his audience when he wrote LOTR. The Hobbit, yes, that was a children's tale, pure and simple. But my understanding was that he had already started LOTR when he stopped and wrote The Hobbit, which started out as a series of bedtime tales for his children.

The big thing for Tolkien was the language and ensuring that the mythology hung together. The Silmarillon, probably one of the most boring books I've ever waded through, is surely proof positive of that. His prose wasn't always even internally consistent. He had a limited range of characterisations - I always felt he struggled with Merry and Pippin as jesters - and he had no interest in including "ordinary" females of any race or species.

For me, it was the scale and scope of the work which were fascinating. I was probably 9 or 10 when I first read LOTR, and I had fun tracking down the words I didn't know in my mother's ancient and extremely dogeared Websters. The plot was exciting stuff. It was kind of "Boy's Own" for grown-ups and that was riveting in itself.

Most of Mr Jenkyns' criticisms are valid, I guess. But do I care? Nope. Is Tolkien the author of the century? Well, I haven't contributed to any of the lists on this Board or anywhere else, because I can't define what the characteristics of an author of the century should be. It's not an objective measure. As the kicker-off of the fantasy genre, he must get at least an honourable mention, I suppose. I see Kim Stanley Robinson as actually having more cultural versatility while encompassing at least as wide a scope in his RBG Mars series. I see Samuel R. Delany as having a much greater vision than Tolkien - anyone who's read Dahlgren or Triton has probably been gobsmacked by that facet of his work. Tolkien expanded on previous work, the hobbits were probably his only invention.

I dunno? Does it matter? Probably not.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#55988 02/09/02 06:20 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55989 02/09/02 08:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max, I suppose that it would be facetious, nay facile of me to point out that (a) Tolkien hasn't written anything this century, and (b) being dead at the moment, he's highly unlikely to change that state of affairs?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#55990 02/09/02 10:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(a) Tolkien hasn't written anything this century, and (b) being dead at the moment, he's highly unlikely to change that state of affairs

Not to mention (3) it's a little early to be picking one for this century, PinYin, Hepburn or Feanorian Tengwar.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 995 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith