About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
#55775 02/13/02 02:34 PM
R
R
I'm with you wow - they were robbed. The Russian programme just left you going 'well that was quite nice', but the Canadians had me going 'wow' on several occasions (not wishing to take your name in vain or anything!). They were clearly the superior pair.

#55776 02/13/02 02:44 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Thanks for the support, guys. It's hard not to feel a little nationalistic about something like the Olympics, so when people from other countries show support for our athletes because they did a good job and were "robbed", it demonstrates sportsmanlike behaviour, on the part of all observers, at its finest. A sign of the true Olympic spirit - valuing good performance in sport over national allegiances.

Needless to say, everyone here is in a tizzy about it, and most people are pretty steamed. I didn't actually see the performance myself - the time zone thing is a bit of a hassle...Anyway, I wonder whether anything will be improved, with or without an inquiry, though...

#55777 02/13/02 02:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
actully, NBC last night presented a split screen-- since alot of the performence is "required elements". they had the russians on the right, the canadian on the left, and you could watch side by side, and easily compare the technical elements.. which is where the canadians got shortchanged.. they got 5.8 for technical merit.. not 5.9 or 6.0 (and since it was 99.9 percent perfect, maybe they didn't deserve a 6) but they did deserve a 5.9! and if they had gotten they marks they deserved, they would have won.

i think there choreography was better, it was modern, and lighthearted.. and skating often has more classic themes.. so you could argue if they had lost on artictic merit. but not on techinical elements.. there the case is clear cut.

#55778 02/13/02 05:00 PM
F
addict
addict
F
I heard an interesting comment this morning. It seems that the judges that favored the Russians were the Russian, Chinese, Polish, Ukraine and French judges and the four that favored the Canadians were the US, Canadian, and 2 other European judges I can't remember. Rather than being a Communist Bloc thing, this commentator suggested that the Russians more traditional, balletic (if that's a word) performance is more to the taste of figure skaters in those countries, while North Americans and Europeans appreciate the more emotional, entertaining, theatrical style of the Canadian routine.

I should add that I, too, was gobsmacked that the Russians won. If you total up the points from the judges that went with the Russians you get around 104, but the total points from judges going to the Canadians was over 105. Something like winning the popular vote but losing the Electoral College. Imagine if such a thing were to happen!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well of course he lost, due to his inebriety.

AKA

A Sauced Bernese

TEd
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I second Bean's post. Thanks to all.

I was lucky enough to watch the event (timezone favorable) and was, like most, floored by the outcome. You could even see the Canadian judge shaking his head in incomprehension. It was also so heartwrenching to see Salé weeping behind the scenes.

#55781 02/14/02 12:08 AM
old hand
old hand
(Belatedly)Count my hand for the Cannucks.

They knew - that emotion after the performance couldn't have been faked (could it?)

I knew,

Even Helen, by her own admission, knew!

Their performance brought a tear to my eye - whilst I just felt sorry for the Russians for stuffing up their routine .

When the result was flashed up, the conspiracist in me immediately thought - "Now, why have They organised it so that the Russians get the gold?" Hmmm.

stales

#55782 02/15/02 04:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Reuters is reporting the Olympic powers-that-be have overturned the judges' decision and are awarding the gold medal to Canada.
(still awaiting confirmation)

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Breaking News: The International Olympic Committee just announced it will award Sale and Pelletier an unprecedented second Gold Medal for their performance in the now-infamous pairs figure skating event!

YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Justice is served! "O, Canada....!"

[edit. "unprecedented": aksherly, it's the 4th time double-gold has been awarded)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah, looks like a second gold medal will be awarded, so as not to strip the Russian pair of theirs. But this is apparently based on a leak, we have to await the news conference for confirmation. Hope it's true!!

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith