#53508 01/26/02 03:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I coulda said
You DID say she's a salt seller...

#53509 01/26/02 05:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That would be bath salts, right, cherie? Wouldn't they be more apt to clean things up? Ackshuly®(cheque's in the mail, Mav)salacious doesn't have anything to do etimologistically(huh?) with salt, so why is salacious language called "salty" language?Oh, I posted a word post! Calgon take me away!

#53510 01/26/02 05:12 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Yankee Doodle went to town
A'riding on a pony
Put a feather in his hat
And called it Macaroni"

It is my understanding that the "Macaroni" referred to in the song was to a group of fancy dressed fops who paraded around London town in the 1770s. The idea of the song was that the Colonists were so stupid they thought a single feather in their hats could entitle them to call themselves members of the "Macaroni" ... Also I understand the song was originally an English song started as a slur on the Colonists (the "Yankee Doddles") but was adopted by the Colonists as a compliment and the slur diffused by their laughing at themselves.
Or am I hopelessly misinformed? Anyone?

PS And what, pray tell, is a Doodle?

#53511 01/26/02 06:09 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear wow: I forget where I saw it, but your analsysis of "Yankee Doodle" seems entirely correct.
I don't remember the "Doddle" part, but suspect that "Doodle" just sounded better.

Here is a URL to annoy CK: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/apr19.html

You have to scroll down a ways and click on underlined "Yankee Doodle".

#53512 01/26/02 07:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From “A Paradise in Madrid" – Camilo Jose’Cela, The Hive

The waste plot that is the morning playground or noisy, quarrelsome boys who throw stones at each other all day long, is, from the time that front doors are locked, a rather grubby Garden of Eden where one cannot dance smoothly to the music of a concealed, almost unnoticed radio set; where one cannot smoke a scented, delightful cigarette as a prelude; where no easy, candid endearments may be whispered in security, in complete security. After lunch time the waste ground is the resort of old people who come there to feed on the sunshine like lizards. But after the hour when the children and the middle aged couples go to bed, to sleep and dream, it is an uninhibited paradise with no room for evasion or subterfuge, where all know what they are after, where they make love nobly, almost harshly, on the soft ground which still retains the lines scratched in by the little girl who spent the morning playing hop-scotch, and the neat, perfectly round holes dug by the boy who greedily used all his spare time to play at marbles.

I’ve never heard the terms ‘waste ground’ or ‘waste plot’ mean anything other than a ‘trash dump’. Is something lost in the translation, or is this not necessarily *fresh air?

#53513 01/26/02 07:46 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear musick: My guess is that "waste" in the passage you posted is an adjective meaning that the area has "been laid waste" by too many people and too little effort to keep turf in good condition.

#53514 01/26/02 08:40 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In the UK waste ground would commonly refer to what I think you guys in the States would call an empty lot - or similar. The general connotation I would understand is a patch of ground, not neccessarily extensive, which is wild and undeveloped by contrast with the surrounding townscape. It is also virtually axiomatic that such an area makes a *fine imaginative place for youngsters to play...!

I think TS Eliot clearly drew on both his USA and UK language experience - never more so than in his most famous poem...

#53515 01/27/02 04:10 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I agree, Mav, that this is a poor translation. I have no doubt this refers to what we USns call a vacant lot, which is a bare and unused tract of ground in the midst of inhabited tracts which are in use. It is usually a piece of ground which has somehow never been built on whilst its neighbors have been put to use, or in some cases one which did have some improvement (technical term for "building") which has burned down and disappeared or torn down, and never replaced.

#53516 01/27/02 06:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bill crowed triumphant: Here is a URL to annoy CK: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/apr19.html

I'm pretty hard to annoy generally and this url annoys me ever so slightly for only one reason: I can't see why I'm supposed to be annoyed. It was an interesting link.

Que pasa, Bill?

Wow was, I'm sure, right about macaroni. Macaronis were dandies of the weirdest kind, and the usage of the word in that sense in the "official" version of the song seems to be confirmed by the "Yankee Doodle Dandy" line.

I remember reading something about the War of Independence years ago which suggested that it was more of a civil war than a war against a foreign oppressor/aggressor. It had all of the ingredients of a civil war - families divided, scores being paid off, that kind of thing. In some areas, it was suggested, the British were almost incidental to events rather than the main event themselves. I don't really know a hell of a lot about the minutiae of that period. What do you USns think?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith