Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#51965 01/07/02 08:16 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Bloggs is, as you say

Not going to finish the sentence Faldage? Can I? As Bean said: interesting to look at. Or as I would say, just something other than John and Jane Doe that we have come to be bored with.

#51966 01/07/02 08:28 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#51967 01/07/02 10:46 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Glad to see that the USn's caught the whiff of irony in the name. We do use (although not exclusively) both Fred and Joe Bloggs - rhymes with cloggs for "fill the gap" names. Imagine a Monty Python Gumby complete with string vest and knotted hankerchief on the head.

Lots of different names are used. Couples would book into hotels (in the days when people cared if you were married) as Mr & Mrs Smith or Jones. The name John Smith tended to be used as "everyman" until he became the leader of the Labour Party in the early nineties.

By the way (Jackie cover your ears), I forgot that a diminutive of the name of second in line to the throne was commonly used as a part of male anatomy, although I've always regarded the diminutive of the name of a "tricky" US President as a bit of an Americanism when used here.

#51968 01/07/02 11:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(from Cambridge International Dictionary of English)

bog (TOILET)
noun [C]
BRITISH AND AUSTRALIAN SLANG
a toilet

I'm just going to nip to the bog.

We've run out of bog paper/roll.

I was on to this slang term because I've been publishing in an Anglo-American journal called Bogg for the past several years that claims the same slang connotation for it's name, though I can't find a citation for the double "gg" anywhere. There's no current web page, but here's a review of Bogg and the journal's background info:

http://www.nhi.clara.net/mg0028.htm

#51969 01/08/02 11:35 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
yep, this is a very common expression in the UK! So tell me WO'N, do you share your Whitty ditties on this Bogg paper, or is it a virtual sheet?

(and btw, Jo, my take on John is exactly the same as yours for the record)

#51970 01/08/02 12:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a je ne sais quoi perhaps, that John Doe lacks

And it's exactly this lack of je ne sais quoi that gives John Doe that I-don't-know-what that relieves him of even that distinction of being one of the Great Unwashed. He is blah to the nth degree.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
It is with the saddest heart that we must pass on the following news. Please join us in remembering a great icon of the entertainment community. The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast infection and complications from repeated pokes in the belly. He was 71. Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin. Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch. The gravesite was piled high with flours. Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he was kneaded. Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later life was filled with turnovers. He was not considered a very "smart" cookie, wasting much of his dough on half-baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky at times, he still, as a crusty old man, was considered a roll model for millions. Doughboy is survived by his wife, Play Dough; two children, John Dough and Jane Dough; plus they had one in the oven. He is also survived by his elderly father, Pop Tart. The funeral was held at 3:50 for about 20 minutes.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Heard tell he was cremated at 6.30. Same flakey pastry puff who always had his hair micro waved?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#51973 01/08/02 10:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So tell me WO'N, do you share your Whitty ditties on this Bogg paper, or is it a virtual sheet?

Well, actually, Bogg has been around as a litmag since '68, a impressive record of survival for a small press publication. It's a print-only journal. Earlier issues also included illustrations by the late Brit artist, Joe Hirst, of Yorkshire, one of the founders of Bogg (it began in England). His usually humorous drawings included many caricatures of bathrooms and privies (and occupants) in poking fun at the journal's title. George Cairncross is the UK editor; Wilga Rose (who replaced the recently deceased Robert Boyce) is contributng editor for Australia and New Zealand; and Sheila Martindale edits for Canada. John Elsberg is the publisher and edits for the US. Should be available in all places mentioned in the literary periodical racks of "good" book stores (far and between these days, it seems). I have an early issue that cites the definition for "bogg", but I can't locate it right now. If I do I'll edit it in.

And, by the way, mav...I may be whitty, but the author of Snowbound is Whittier.

And how many folks can say they've been published on bogg paper!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, yes...I remember well his gigantic performance in Ghostbusters. His towering calories will be sadly missed. I'll make it a point to rent the movie again in tribute (sniff).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith