Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#51955 01/06/02 02:25 PM
A
addict
addict
A
but as Angel pointed out.. every one is creative-- even if they only express it in creating a name.

Angel pointed this out in a PM tho! My mother always said, "If you can do nothing else creative in your life, you can create a name!" I was her first born, and was given the name "Kimber". My brother, on the other hand, is a Junior addition of my dad!

By the way, while we are on names, my brother has always been referred to by the family and in school as "Butch". Now as an adult and with an ex-wife who swears she couldn't pronounce Butch.....[whiter]plllllllthhh[/whiter] he is now known in the business world as "Ralph". This creates many problems, when one set of friends meets another set and they call him by two different names.

#51956 01/06/02 04:32 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Short forms of names are also interesting and numerous, and some are a bit improbable ... Gus for Constantinos

??? I'd always thought Gus was a short form of Augustus and of Gustavus (the latter sometimes alternatively shortened to "Stav").

Query: what name has the most numerous short-forms in common use? Perhaps Elizabeth would have some ideas for us?

#51957 01/06/02 10:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
other forms of John include Sean (there is no j in irish--and its easy to see how the french Jean became Sean.) in scots, it went to Ian. Joan (irish, again) became Soibhan, (she vawn). it went to Ivan in some russian languages.

for alexandria, there is Alex, alexis, and sandy and lexy..

and i don't know which name forms the most nick names, but i'd vote for margaret
Marge
Margy
Meg
Maggy

Peg
Peggy
Peggeen, (as in dickens)
as well as informal ,Mags, and Mar.

#51958 01/07/02 08:49 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Alexander is a root of many names. In Scotland Sandy (for boys) is popular. There seem to be female Sashas around but I always think of it as a boy's name.

Alexander/Alexandra – Short forms, variants and pet names
ALEXANDER (m) From the Greek name Alexandros, which meant "defending men" from Greek alexein "to defend, help" and aner "man" (genitive andros). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. This was also the name of emperors of Russia, kings of Scotland and Yugoslavia, and eight popes.
ALASDAIR, ALASTAR, ALEC, ALECHJO, ALASDAIR, ALASTAR, ALEC, ALEJANDRA, ALEJANDRO, ALEKSANDER, ALEKSANDR, ALEKSANDRA, ALEKSANDRINA ALEKSANTERI,ALEKSI, ALESSANDRA, ALESSANDRO, ALEX, ALEXA, ALEXANDR, ALEXANDRA, ALEXANDRE, ALEXANDREA, ALEXANDRIA, ALEXANDROS, ALEXANDRU, ALISTAIR, ALISTER, ALIX, ALYX, ISKENDER, LEX, LEXA, LEXI, LEXIE, LEXINE, LEXY, MALANDRA, OLEK, OLEKSANDER, SACHA, SANDIE, SÁNDOR, SANDRA, SANDRINE, SANDRO, SANDY, SASCHA, SASHA, SENDER, XANDER, XANDRA, ZANDER, ZANDRA,
Alexius is another name but some short forms overlap :
ALEXIUS (m) "helper" or "defender" from the Greek name Alexios which derived from alexein "to defend, help". A czar of Russia has borne this name. ALEJO, ALEKSEI, ALESSIA, ALESSIO, ALESSA, ALEXA, ALEXEI, ALEXIA, ALEXINA, ALEXIS, ALEXUS, LEXA, LEXIA, LEXUS
Researched from:
http://www.behindthename.com

#51959 01/07/02 08:54 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Does anyone know if this occurs in any other language but English. And does anybody know, offhand, how it came to be so?

I can be corrected here but I think that is is primarily a function of US English. We don't really use the boys names that have been mentioned in previous posts in everyday Br English - John, Peter etc. Terms like "Dear John" letter were originally a US term (I think). Perhaps it derives from the use of terms like "John Doe" - another term that we don't use.

Maybe RhubarbC or Maverick disagrees?

Jo

#51960 01/07/02 02:51 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I had a friend who grew up in Britain who said that instead of John Doe, the Brits used Fred (or is it Joe?) Bloggs, which I think has a much more pleasing sound. We named one of our experimental set-ups "Mr. Bloggs" (to keep him separate from "Big Bertha", rather than calling them "the little one" and "the big one").

#51961 01/07/02 03:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
which I think has a much more pleasing sound

In the spirit of non-combativeness that wishes to pervade itself about the board, I'll refrain from saying that, rather than soundng pleasant, Bloggs sounds like a glomule of some rather disgusting matter has been unceremoniously deposited on my work bench.

Paraliptically Yours,
Faldage

#51962 01/07/02 03:37 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
OK, not pleasing then, interesting. The double-g also makes it interesting to look at. But maybe just because it's different from (to, than) John Doe or Joe Blow, which is what I'm used to.

I agree that it does sound a bit like a gob of something ejected during a sneeze.

#51963 01/07/02 07:20 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Oh dear. Now you've done it; you've gone and agreed with Faldage. How is he going to continue to argue? [waiting-in-complete-faith-that-F-will-be-able-to-do-so emoticon]

#51964 01/07/02 07:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I quite agree with you, my dear Bean. Doe is the sound of a mother deer basking in the sylvan paradise with her fawns gamboling about her. Bloggs is, as you say

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith