About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#48801 12/02/01 03:26 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Being too pale is seen as a sign of something like unhealthiness.

In Victorian society it was just the opposite. A tan was the sign of a common laborer, someone of the working lower classes whose job kept them out in the sun. So Victorian ladies of proper society were careful to maintain as fair a complexion as possible, thus the fashion of parasols and wide brimmed hats.
Any dash of extra sun-touched pigmentation was viewed as repulsive. So many folks, endeavoring to emulate the upper crust as is the want of human nature [], tried to keep themselves as pale as possible. It all got turned around with the dawn of air travel when the upper crust began to spend more winter time in sub-tropic and tropic climes (the jet set), and having a tan year-round became a sign of having money. So we spent 60 some years (give or take a few) baking on sunny beaches to look rich only to find that we're now flocking to doctors in droves to have cancerous lesions removed. So perhaps, this century, the pendulum will swing back to a fairness of complexion again.

neadertal Hey! watch it, CapK!...you know how I feel about that! We discovered it's a matter of preference...but I want my "h" back, dammit! Neanderthal, thank you!

#48802 12/02/01 04:02 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
And, of course, fire = "light", and light = "good".

Are you quoting the blind man in Young Frankenstein? Damned funny scene!

#48803 12/02/01 06:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Are you quoting the blind man in Young Frankenstein? Damned funny scene!

Guilty, m'Lud. Only I had forgotten where it came from ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#48804 12/02/01 02:53 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
the blind man in Young Frankenstein

Wasn't the blind man played by played by Peter Boyle ... the same fellow who is now seen in the role of the father of Raymond in the TV show "Everybody Loves Raymond?"
Or was the blind man Gene Hackman?

Re "tan" -- my Irish skin will not tolerate much sun so in late July my "tan" is actually a pale shade of bisque! Oh, and isn't the depression caused by reduced sunlight called SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder? Prevalent, I understand, in lands of the far north (Scandanavia and Alsaka) and not unknown in New England!

ALERT - Background note :
the good guy is nearly always
dressed in lighter colors than other characters.

Exceptions: Hopalong Cassidy
In 1951 I was in Houston Texas with my Dad, staying at the Shamrock Hotel. Also at the hotel was a convention of the "Flying Farmers of America" and the star attraction was Hopalong Cassidy. I met him. A most charming gentleman. He was clever too ... he was a movie idol in the early movie days and was smart enough to have it in his contract that all the rights to the old movies in which he starred would revert to him. So he was in a position to sell all the Western films he had made to TV when The Box was eating up everything it could get its hands on ... and thereby he resurrected his career and became a TV star in the 1950s!

#48805 12/02/01 09:12 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Wasn't the blind man played by played by Peter Boyle .

If my coprolite containing cranium cogitates correctly, Boyle played the monster, and Mel Brooks hissef played the blind man. Gotta go rent that flick again an' see fer mysef!

Now, as regards William Boyd, AKA Hopalong Cassidy: He was friends with a pogo stick-riding nun, Hopalong Chastity.

More on the subject: Just returned from a Scandanavian Festival, where "Lucia, Queen of Light" was crowned. Thank goodness, I left before anybody opened the lutefisk!!!

#48806 12/02/01 10:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Frankenstein

That's Frankenschteen to you!
--Mel Brooks

#48807 12/02/01 10:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Or was the blind man Gene Hackman?

Yes.

#48808 12/03/01 12:02 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
traveling at night was such a hazard on horseback

There are some great dark-night stories in Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I remember the delicious chills of fear I felt when my mother read aloud the story of the time Laura's grandfather rode through the dark woods at top speed, trying to escape a black panther which was pursuing him. And then there was the time Pa mistook a big tree stump for a bear...

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 803 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith