Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48606 11/24/01 02:35 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: In another thread which I cannot find easily, you mentioned Ben Franklin inventing a pole with a clamp on top, closed by a string attached to a lever , for getting books down from a high shelf. I have seen them, both in old libraries, but also in old grocery stores for taking cans down off high shelf. I never heard of a name for them, but I found a site about Ben Franklin, telling of all the very important things he did, which too few Americans remember. Here is a list of some of his inventions:

In addition to the busybody, Franklin stove, and glass harmonica,
Ben Franklin's inventions include:
The library stepstool, a chair whose seat could be lifted and
folded down to make a short ladder
Mechanical arm for reaching books on high shelves (still used
in many grocery stores)
The rocking chair (when he fitted the legs of his armchair with
curved pieces of wood)
The "writing chair" -- a type of chair with an "arm" on one side
to provide a writing surface (still used in many classrooms)
The odometer, used to measure distance along colonial roads
used by the postal service
A new kind of ship's anchor
A candle made from whale oil that made a clear white light
and lasted much longer than tallow candles.
A pulley system that enabled him to lock and unlock his
bedroom door from his bed
An improved streetlight by fitting it with four panes of glass
and piercing the top and bottom to allow for ventilation
Bifocal spectacles -- Ben thought of the idea when he was
eating dinner and he noted that if he could see the food on his
plate clearly he could not see the face of the person sitting
across from him. With bifocals, he could use one pair of
glasses for two purposes.

#48607 11/24/01 11:42 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
wwh: Many thanks for the list of Franklinian inventions. The rocking chair was the most surprising to hear about. Wonder why we don't hear the term "Franklin rocker" tossed about to and fro?

Best regards,
WW

#48608 11/24/01 11:49 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My dad was in the US Corps of Engineers under General Patton in WWII. He has described to me an odograph used in mapping out roads that weren't on maps. He said that, in driving over foreign terrain, when they came upon a road not on the map, they would drive the vehicle on the unmapped road, and the odograph would record the road on the map, curves, turns, and all.

WW

#48609 11/28/01 03:42 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Didn't Ben Franklin also invent the lightning rod, wwh? I think the idea came to him in a blinding bolt of inspiration while flying a kite.

#48610 11/28/01 03:16 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Wordminstrel: Good to see you posting. And a very important addition. Ben Franklin was a very remarkable man. His achievements as ambassador to France were greater than anyone else available could have accomplished. Without the help of the French which he obtained, the Revolution probably would have failed. His scientific work was an important part of the French admiration of him. It helped gain him entree into the highest levels of the influential people he needed to know to achieve his goals as ambassador.

#48611 11/28/01 11:43 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Without the help of the French which he obtained, the Revolution probably would have failed.
Agree, wwh. And following the same line of reasoning, we have Ben Franklin to thank for the Statue of Liberty which was a gift from France in honor of the Revolution. Now, here is a question for you, dear wwh. Who was the the heroine (real or imagined) who served as the model for the Statue of Liberty? And, pray tell, is the story of Ben Franklin's inspiration for the lightning rod folklore or fact? Indeed, did Ben invent the lightning rod? Back to you, wwh.

#48612 11/29/01 01:31 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Wordminstrel: I have never heard any dispute about Franklin's invention of the lightning rod. If I remember correctly, he had observed "St.Elmo's Fire" either at sea or from tall buildings, and realized that it represented a dissipation of an electrical charge into the atmosphere. A lightning rod would also make a harmless route to the ground for a lightning stroke, preventing damage to the building.
With regard to the Statue of Liberty, I found a link that tells a great deal about its conception and creation. The sculptor was said to have denied that any human model had been used. The link is good reading.
http://www.americanparknetwork.com/parkinfo/sl/history/liberty.html

Another link, about Franlin that says he invented the lightning rod.
http://sln.fi.edu/franklin/inventor/inventor.html

#48613 11/29/01 03:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Bill, that is an interesting link about the Statue of Liberty. Too bad the two countries don't get along so well now.

#48614 11/29/01 03:21 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Jackie: I have thought about that a great deal. I suppose the French resented having to repay the money we probably lent them to buy munitions for the war, and resented even more our post-war prosperity and the conduct of American spendthrift expatriates, while the French economy recovered only very slowly.
Before WWI, my grandfather bought medical instruments from France. My father bought nothing from France. Nor have I, except Bic pens. I know several people who bitterly regretted buying French cars.It must gall (sic) them that we buy so much from the Japanese and so little from them.

#48615 11/29/01 07:01 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
The sculptor was said to have denied that any human model had been used.
I have heard it said that the inspiration for the lady holding the torch, whether the sculptor was conscious of it or not, was Delacroix's painting of "Liberty Leading the People" painted in 1830 and now hanging in the Louvre. Construction of the Statue began in France in 1875 so Bartholdi would certainly have known of Delacroix's painting at that time. And the formal title of the Statue, "Liberty Enlightening the World", personifies "Liberty" just as Delacroix's painting did. Have you seen "Liberty" in Delacroix's painting? Her right arm holds the French Tricolor aloft just as the Lady of Ellis Island holds the torch of freedom aloft. Please visit this link and judge the resemblance for yourself?
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/delacroix/liberte/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 932 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith