About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#45298 11/01/01 12:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
CapK, you're obviously right up with the state of Strine. Sorry I doubted you.

It's amazing what rubbish you read when you're unemployed and therefore you're footloose and fancy free. I found an Oz website on something or another as the result of a badly-worded search for something else entirely. One of the things it was talking about was cultural cringe and how the poor nongs in the Strine are getting sick of being picked on whenever they leave the bulldust-coated shores of home. It did mention an increased attention in schools to accent and diction. About time they got some!

You never know, they may start putting the "u" back into Labor! That'd make the Bulletin read strangely, now wouldn't it?

Come in ringer - er Stales, anyway, wherever you are! What's your take on this?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#45299 11/01/01 06:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That was interesting Jo--I know an other varient to:
By the way the "proper" way to answer the question

Ya dancing?
Ya askin'?
I'm askin'!
If you'r askin'
I'm dancing!
So six is a key locating word for a Kiwi, and dance is (or was) for an ozzie..

here in US, Roof and Water are supposed to be key words.. to define east coast from west, and even mid west..
but what other words can be used, & for what other groups.. how do you idendify a a South african? or inside canada, how do you tell someone from atlantic provence's from a some one who hails from BC? What other words are Key words?

#45300 11/01/01 06:28 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#45301 11/02/01 07:54 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>So six is a key locating word for a Kiwi, and dance is (or was) for an ozzie..
According to Max, I'm wrong on which way round it is for "six", see his post.

>Here in US, Roof and Water are supposed to be key words.. to define east coast from west, and even mid west..
but what other words can be used, & for what other groups.. how do you identify a a South african? or inside canada, how do you tell someone from atlantic provence's from a some one who hails from BC? What other words are Key words?

So how do they say "roof" and "water"? I assume that the "r" is significant. Is it the long a in "water" that makes a difference?

Isn't "park the car" a good way to spot a New Englander? I think they would say "pahk the cah" as would someone from England (we've already discussed the letter "r" in another thread).

In Britain words like "grass" would show you up as broadly North or South (short vowels in the North).
A world like "farmyard" would help identify someone from the South West of England.
A word like "gone" would help identify a parts of London and the South - it would sound like "gorn" in a strip from South London to Brighton and parts of East London, Kent and Essex.
"South" to a South Londoner is pronounced a bit like "sarth". To identify the better off, you would need a word like "girl" which becomes "gall" or "pound" which becomes "poind" - think of Prince Charles.

In the world "Scotland", Scots would have the emphasis on the "o" giving a long "short" "o" - think of saying dot and lingering on the "o" without making it a "oo" sound, whereas the English give more equal emphasis to both syllables.

We discussed some time ago the idea that dialects within Australia, despite the huge distances, vary relatively little. It is thought that this is because Australia's major population expansion took place after a time when mass communication was something that could be heard as well as seen, ie radio rather than only newspapers.

I think that same might be true of South Africa. "South" said by a South African tends to sound like "seuth".

#45302 11/02/01 10:14 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

#45303 11/02/01 11:38 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Let's not forget crick and creek.

#45304 11/02/01 04:09 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
or inside canada, how do you tell someone from atlantic provence's from a some one who hails from BC?

Any word containing the -ar sound will give away someone from Atlantic Canada. Car, garbage, heart...it has to do with where your tongue is in your mouth during the vowel. In the west, the tip of your tongue is forward, and your tongue is pretty flat. In the east, you tilt your tongue back toward the roof of your mouth, and tense your jaw a bit. Try it a few times, that's the only way to hear the difference. If you're getting it, then "car" begins to sound like "cur", although of course it's not that extreme.

You can tell someone from Ontario because they almost stick an extra sound in words like "Canada" or "can't", making it sound like "k-yanada" or "k-yant". So if you want to see if someone is from Ontario, get them to say Canada. My Ontarian friend hates it when I point it out, but it seems so obvious to me! The kids on Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High all had Ontarian accents. Ontarians also make the vowels much shorter - more like the Scottish sound - in "out" or "about" - the two favourite Canadian words for US'ns to make fun of. I mean, we all say them differently from US'ns, but it's much more pronounced the farther east you go.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith