Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#45268 10/20/01 09:02 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Great topic, perfectly proper for this board.
But one on which a gentlemen -- or even Keiva -- should defer to the ladies!

#45269 10/20/01 10:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Being a woman ain't for wusses. Sometimes, when faced with the question of survival, a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do. If she survives, she can have more children [theoretically] and thus propagate the species. If she tries to protect a son in a lose/lose situation, they both die. I never did care for those type of choices, but sometimes you just can't choose which choices you get. War is one of those times.

#45270 10/20/01 10:36 PM
M
M
Being a woman ain't for wusses.
So is Osama 'sexy', Consuelo? If not to you, can you understand how a woman who is repelled by his atrocities might still be attracted to him as an Alpha male. There is a former football star who is still very successful with women who have no reason to be believe that he is innocent of murder. As Kieva says, this is a question for the ladies.

#45271 10/20/01 11:27 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

#45272 10/20/01 11:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think I would like some clarification on what constitutes an Alpha male. Is it money, power, animal magnetism, some combination? What percentages? Does symmetrical facial construction play a part? How about body types? From what I have seen of the two aforementioned males, they seem to possess some of these factors, but does that make them Alpha Males? It is my understanding that, biologically speaking, as a male needs to disseminate his genes, a woman has the responsibility to attract the best genes she possibly can to propagate and improve the species.

#45273 10/20/01 11:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Moss how about a link to the original article -- or some of it, if it is on a site like the economist (not that i think the economist would print such drivel..) that requires a paid subscription.. (and if i am wrong, i do have have a paid subscription to economist, and I'll get it!)

yes, there are women who are attracted to dangerous men. and there are men who race cars, or climb Mt Everest, or hang glide.. and who tell you these are not really dangerous activities.. but i don't think many women lust after the former football player, and i think fewer are interested in bin Laden.

personally, i am much more attracted to brain power than brute force-- and while i do recognize a very smart stategy with the attacks, i have no interest in someone so cruel, and self centered. bin laden think so much of himself and his ideas, he thinks we should all live the life he has designed.. talk about an egotist! only some one with a very low sense of self worth could be interested.
don't think any one here has that little self esteem.

#45274 10/21/01 02:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would like to share here part of a "Letter to the Editor" that The Reverend Charles Stanley of North Carolina sent to every major newspaper in the world (thanks, Ted).

I have a vivid memory of coming home, as a boy of about nine years of age, and telling my father of feeling helpless horror as I watched the neighborhood bully unmercifully torment a boy even smaller than myself. My father reflected for a long moment, then quietly inquired of me as to what I had done about it. I said that I had watched until it was over and had then come home.

The look in his eyes penetrated me to my core for he had never looked at me in that way before. He said that he was deeply ashamed of me and he sent me to my room with instructions to think about what had happened. It seemed hours before he came to my door. He sat beside me on my bed, and, for a painfully long while, he said nothing. When finally he spoke, he explained, "There will always be among us dishonorable men who are devoid of humanity and compassion. They are but naked animals and an empty shell of what truly is a man. They attempt to fill their emptiness by the exercise of power over others, thinking that it makes them whole men. Often they are enraged that they do not even understand their own emptiness, what it is that they lack.

"When these men are also cowards, they disguise themselves as sheep among the flock and attack from the shadows. This is the vilest form of sub-human behavior for even animals attack openly when they must attack.

"When humanity and integrity are present in a man, he expresses them as compassion. When compassion and strength achieve perfect balance within a man, they manifest as wisdom. The compassionate man feels the pain of others. The wise man protects others from pain. For, if you watch and do nothing to protect others, who will come to your aid when you alone remain and the bully comes for you?

"Some things are far more important than your personal safety and freedom from pain. If ever again you see someone being hurt, protect him, even if you are certain to be injured in the process. Then I will know that I have truly raised a man."

This line, "...they do not even understand their own emptiness, what it is that they lack", really struck me, for it is a deep truth. If we know only one way of doing things, that is then our limit. This reminds me somewhat of Edmund, a nearly-illiterate teenager I used to work with. He'd lived all his life in the inner-city projects, and knew no other way of life. I tried so very hard to get it across to him the magic, the wonder, the seemingly miraculous way that books could open up the world for him.
I don't know that he ever learned to really read. I didn't keep up personal contact with him. I do know I've never seen his name in the crime column of the newspaper, and I guess that's something. He wanted to become a chef...

#45275 10/21/01 03:43 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
do you have a record of the earliest occurrence of ***-mania? More specifically, was "Beatlemania" created by 'mericans or 'glanders?

There were in Gr. a few compounds in (rare and chiefly post-classical), expressing the general sense ‘a certain kind of madness’, or ‘the state of being mad after some object’, and corresponding as nouns of quality or condition to the related adjs. In the 16th and 17th c. a number of quasi-Greek compounds, denoting species of mania, were invented and used in medical Latin, and some of these, as nymphomania, have been adopted in Eng. Other technical or quasi-technical words, formed in the 19th c., are kleptomania, lypemania, megalomania. In the 17–18th c. the currency of F. manie in the sense of a ‘craze’ or passion (e.g. for some pursuit, or the collection of some class of objects) suggested the formation of a number of quasi-Gr. compounds such as bibliomanie mania for books, métromanie mania for metre, mélomanie mania for song; and hybrid formations such as Anglomanie mania for things English, tulipomanie mania for tulips. Several of these words have been adopted in Eng. with the ending -mania [e.g., melomania, a mania for music, hence melomaniac, one who has a craze for music], and in the 19th c. it became somewhat common to invent nonce-words with this ending. Examples are bancomania, a craze for establishing banks; Graiomania [L. Grai-us Greek], passion for things Greek; Italomania, wild enthusiasm for Italy; Queenomania, (applied by Southey to the popular devotion to the cause of Queen Caroline); scribbleomania, a craze for scribbling. The ns. in -mania have, actually or potentially, correlative ns. in -maniac; the words in -mane are of rare occurrence, and are viewed as Gallicisms.

1963 Times 27 Dec. 4/6 The social phenomenon of Beatlemania, which finds expression in handbags, balloons and other articles bearing the likeness of the loved ones, or in the hysterical screaming of young girls whenever the Beatle Quartet performs in public.

(that would be the London Times)

#45276 10/25/01 02:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>if a woman is happy, she'll sleep upon a board

No women sleeping on THIS board!

TEd
#45277 10/25/01 05:37 PM
C
C
Ted, we don't see you as merely a board. You really need to work on your self-esteem.

As far as Osamamania, I agree that there are those women who are attracted to the domineering, sick-minded men. I recall an old study of mine in high school on serial killers (all the good topics were gone) where I read over and over about the cultish following that such monsters as Manson and Bundy had. These 'men' received countless marriage proposals, pen pal letters, nude pics, etc. from women who thought they were special.

I find power in a man very intriguing.....but not physical power or weaponry power. Anyone can have power if given the physical characteristics or a gun, it's those that wield power due to their knowledge or personality that are attractive. Quiet confidence is also a very attractive trait for today's intelligent, type-A female. I would hardly characterize OJ or Osama (hmmmm....both start with an O) as quietly confident.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith