Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#44951 10/19/01 03:23 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
to F: Now I know what movie I'll be renting this weekend!

to paulb: ROTFLMAO, tears running down my ... face!
as to "One of those fellows'll have to go," see last paragraph at
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?
Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=41194&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post41194

And I'd thought I was being original!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
faldage quotes:

"We don' need no steenkeeng badges"

I finally gave up and googled it, and found this: http://www.insectdissection.com/badges/badges1.wav

F, are you saying that there is doubt as to whether this was the original source of this oft used phrase? I've certainly heard the "We don't need no steenkin' [insert name here]" sentiment used (and not just in this forum, by mavarchnot to be confused with plutarch), but its roots've always been greek to me. shoulda figured it was a movie quote.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Humphrey Bogart and his companions in Treasure of the Sierra Madre were accosted by some Mexican banditos claiming to be Federales. He asked them to show him some badges. They repiled:

¡We don' got (or maybe have) no badges!

¡We don' need no badges!

¡We don' have to show you any steenkeeng badges!

Somehow the addition of steenkeeng obviated the double negative (perfectly legal in Spanish) but when quoted the double negative and the steenkeeng always seem to stay together.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the .wav that gymk linked to sounds like a bit from the actual® soundtrack, to me.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Didn't Cheech and Chong riff on this, too? I seem to have some sort of memory of a co-worker that knows all the C&C dialog by heart saying this one.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you're right, consuelo! actually®, the quote is pervasive (see the link).

http://www.darryl.com/badges/

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Did anyone else have trouble going to this url(for the spoken phrase) a second time? When I did, it went into perpetual load and froze. I had to shut down computer with it still on the screen (ouch!) to get rid of it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Unless you are using a Mac, windows 3.1, or Windows NT, there is an other solution. at once, press contol + Alt + delete. It will open a window, showing all active programs. One, usually the hightlighted one, will be labled "Not Responding" there are three buttons on the window, End Task, Shut Down and Cancel
(Actually, now that i think about it, it might have different choices, since i did it with out a frozen machine.. but in any case, the choices might be wait and End Task but End Task is the one to push.

Select end task. Machine becomes un- frozen. sometimes the url even opens!

#44959 10/20/01 11:42 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Our film society is screening this film on 20 November so I can check the actual quote for you. (As the projectionist, I get the print a few days in advance for preview purposes.)

#44960 10/20/01 12:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, Helen! I never knew that. I've had freezes, plus I've gone to a couple of sites where, to my dismay, their window takes my entire screen, including the bottom bar where my Start button is (which I have managed to move to the side of my screen twice, and I have no idea how).
My computer gets discombobulatated (Hi, Aunt mav!) when I turn it off the same way I turn it on. Why is that, can anyone tell me? Is it just too logical, or something?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,353
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 550 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,550
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith