Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#36911 07/30/01 01:49 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> Stilleto pumps are sometimes connencted to shoe fetishism

Like drinking Champagne from the shoes, or what! I kind of included the mention of 'pumps' only in order to draw out corrections/clarification on its meaning. That certainly doesn't take long around here! Thanks for your very in depth(sic) look at stiletos and pumps though WOW!

#36912 07/30/01 02:20 PM
D
doru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I had thought of stiletto myself, but "high heels" was already a departure from the Romanian. I suppose shoes, even ladies' shoes, are somewhat different in Romania, hence the difference in terminology. Now, with the advent of capitalism, it won't be long before they'll know what stiletto heels are. I am really grateful to all of you for your kind and prompt replies. Maybe when the story is ready, I might venture to post a paragraph or two (if anyone is interested). Doru

#36913 07/30/01 05:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well since we are vering into shoe and foot fetishes.. actually, you can get stiletto shoes that are not pumps.. boots for example, and for very limited use, mules.. which are woman's high heeles shoes that are back less.. in former times (my youth!) these were considered bedroom shoes-- and wearing them in public --O not done.

Mules can be leather, or cloth, (satin and velvet) and are often trimmed with fur, or feathers, or even rhinestones.. the are bedroom shoes, but they are definately not slippers! Mules don't have to be stilletto's, but are always high heeled, backless shoes.

any woman's shoe with a heel of 4 inches is common known as "F*** me" or some similar varient. this has nothing to do with shoe fetishes, and everything to do with anatomy. walking an your toes in a high heeled shoe throws you off balance, and as a result, cause a woman to push her hips more forward than a normal posture. (makes for great dancing shoes...)

if i wanted to, i could be called Imelda II-- i love shoes! and own a few pairs (about 70).

#36914 07/30/01 05:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Doru:

Yes, please do post a paragraph or two. I think I can speak for most of us here when I say we love original contributions. And if/when you have the story posted on a web site somewhere, please give us the URL.

Helen, aka Imelda II:

I hate shoes. But to each her own

Be that as it may... during the 3 years I lived in NYC (1995-1998) lots of people I knew enjoyed frequent celebrity sightings, perhaps the most common of which was JFK Jr. (may he RIP). I blithely went my way, not seeing anyone even remotely famous, that I knew of, anyway. On my next-to-last night there, a group held a farewell party for me at a sushi-cum-karaoke dive somewhere around 3rd Ave and 42nd or so. As I was sitting in a window seat, wondering whether I should regale 'em with "What's Love Got to Do with It" or "I Will Survive", a photog friend pointed out a limo that had pulled up at a deli across the street. "It's her" he whispered." "It is not!" I replied. We went downstairs, camera in hand (his) and sure enough, it *was her.

I approached her plethora of bodyguards and asked if it was OK if I approached her. They nodded assent, so I went into the deli (she was choosing from a wide array of DeGaulle's cheeses at that point) and asked if she would mind having her picture taken with me, and told her, straight-faced, even, that I'd always admired her and her shoe collection.

Some people have close encounters with the great and near-great; my only experience was that with a foul despot's widow. Wonder whatever became of her?

Meanwhile, as soon as I have the photographic evidence scanned, I might replace my picture in Max's Gallery with that one. And y'all get to guess who's who!

Forgive me, I'm not usually given to long non-word posts! Chalk it up to the moving stress....

#36915 07/30/01 06:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i am never seeing celebraties either-- I was in candy/coffee shop in a lobby of 512 Madison Avenue once, and it had 10 foot long, 3 foot high display of candy, and i was scanning it for something-- i wanted something sweet-- but the selection was so vast it was hard to make a selection.. an other person had the same problem, and i bumbed into him. i turned to apologise, and looked at him-- i commented "gee you're a ringer for Art Garfunkle!"-- he replied, "no, I am Art Garfunkle" -- It was one of those time i was left speechless! he was happy with that, smiled and nodded, and we both turn our attention to the candy, made purchases and parted ways..

But i wouldn't have noticed who it was, if i hadn't bumped into him.

#36916 07/30/01 10:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think this would be very useful in translating, but it seems to me that if I were wearing heels that sunk all the way in to asphalt, it wouldn't be the shoes making the noise. I would probably find a few choice @#*@ to say.

PART II
My ex-husband claims using the urinal at Chicago's O'Hare next to Muhammed Ali in 1976. I, on the other hand, claim Kristi Yamaguchi as a customer when she was in town.

consuelo

#36917 07/31/01 09:43 AM
R
addict
addict
R
I've had a few brushes with the famous, mostly from University days. Matching Helen's Art Garfunkle story, I was treasurer of the university folk club, and Paul Simon played for us, so not only did I pay him, (about £10 GBP as I remember, probably wouldn't do a gig for that now) but a few of us gathered in my flat for coffee afterwards. This was about the time of his first album.
And our maths tutorial groups were split alphabetically, so for a couple of years I was alongside Virginia Wade. We have not kept in touch.
It's fun when you recognise someone famous out of context. If you go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed for example, you expect to see racing drivers wandering around, and you might also expect to see other non-motor celebrities enjoying themselves. But meeting them on holiday, or as Helen did in a shop, seems more exciting somehow.
Rod

#36918 07/31/01 02:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in school, I was a... contemporary of Phil Jackson, now coach and 6' 10" zenmaster of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team. (Lakers you ask? the franchise moved there from Minneapolis :) the only time I remember... speaking... with him was in my dorm hallway when he said (to my roommate) "your friend is pretty drunk, isn't he".

#36919 07/31/01 03:03 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I'll see your Imelda and raise you two, E!

I used to drink morning coffe with Doris Duke, who sent her plane to go and pick up the poor refugee from Manila

and speaking or accoutrements, Doris was mad as a hatter!

#36920 07/31/01 10:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While rushing to finish an interior design installation at the new House of Blues in the Marina City complex just north of the loop, I 'met' Jeff "Skunk" Baxter wandering around back stage getting ready for the opening day sound check with the original Blues Brothers Band members (minus John Belushi, Jim was the sub). Nice guy, great sense of humor... for about 30 seconds. I'm sure CapK has a few of these as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 858 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith