Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the idea the exposure to dirt, of all sorts, makes for a strong healthy imuno system has been called the hygene factor.. if as child, you don't get to eat a pound of dirt you won't be healthy. (old wife's tale is a child will eat a pound of dirt before they grow up, so mothers don't have to fuss to much about dirty fingers all the time, even if they generaly do) there seems to be some truth to the old wifes tale.

children who are keep very clean, and who are treated with antibotics at the first exposure to a pathogien, end up with imunosystems that are hyper active.. and start acting up-- alergies are the syptom.

(i call it the cockroach factor-- cockroaches have been around since the dinosuars.. they are always found in places with poor hygene, damp, fetid arears. there must be something about poor hygene that is actually good for you. very tellingly, my son, with whom i made an attempt to keep things very clean, has alergies.. his younger sister has none.)

H
addict
addict
H
Wow - an entire thread in honor of my little guy! I'm really, really honored and pleased.²

Simon Christopher is doing very well. He started out pretty big (just shy of 9 lbs.) and he's gaining weight at a rate of almost 2 oz. per day - Mama is feeling a bit like a cow, but the boy is thriving. He seems, by his size and alertness and all, to be much more than 1 month old, but I suspect the committee evaluating this particular specimen is a bit biased.

Best of all - last night he slept 6 hours in a row! He seems to be catching on to the whole circadian rhythm thing (at least the sleeping when it's dark out part), which makes life much easier.

Thanks so much for inquiring about our new little treasure, my AWAD family.

Hyla

p.s. I had understood that, even though they live in some pretty foul spots, cockroaches are among the cleanest animals - perhaps that's how they survive in the filth. Can anyone confirm or refute this understanding?

addict
addict
It would be so much nicer if we could separate the thoughts of Hyla's baby from the thoughts of cockroaches, wouldn't it? Dintwe have a forum for cockroach discussions?... mmmmm... what was it, what was it...
... OH! Maybe "Animal Safari"???

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Great to hear it, Froggy Daddy! (hmm...that's right out of Maynard G. Krebs and The Beatniks, isn't it?) Glad tidings from the treasure of new life always guaranteed to cheer the soul! And to spread some much-needed cheer around here as well! All the best to Simon Christopher and Mom!

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Glad to hear that young Simon is progressing so well
You are, without doubt, finding that you have taken on the most time-consuming and far and away the most worth-while job in the whole universe.

I have been wasting the last half-hour trying to find a reference to a paper produced at Kings College, London, in c1990, which showed exactly what you have just said about cockroaches - that they are clean-living, decent insects who have acquired a totally unwarranted bad name.

(One suspects that this may be retribution for writing blank verse and hanging around with immoral cats )

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
retribution for writing blank verse

I thought cockroaches wrote vers libre.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
you are, of course, quite right. i would write more but my head is hurting.

H
addict
addict
H
I'm a bit mystified as to why this thread has reappeared, with no new posts obvious, but I suspect it's something to do with the attempt to bury certain threads that folks are talking about.

In any case - baby's great. Turns out he's the cutest baby in the world, ever (with the possible exception of his big brother).

#36761 09/26/01 04:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Does he still look like Winston Churchill?

#36762 09/26/01 04:22 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
"A baby is an alimentary canal with a loud noise at one end, and no sense of responsibility at the other."

How about a current madonna-and-child picture for Max's gallery, Hyla?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 803 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith