Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
#3724 07/21/00 01:55 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
ms seems fine for writing, and if we're all happy - i certainly am - to give up titles when being addressed in person, then it may work out fine. i sometimes get addressed as mr. in shops and it feels really strange.

#3725 07/21/00 02:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>i sometimes get addressed as mr. in shops and it feels really strange.<<

Good heavens, william, aren't you one??

#3726 07/21/00 03:33 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
technically, yes!
i guess my face is older than my heart. inside i'm still a child!

#3727 07/21/00 06:01 PM
B
addict
addict
B
>>The whole caper could be dispensed with by simply considering it polite to address people by their given names.<<

Yes, I do this a lot, and I prefer to be called Bridget rather than anything else. (And I bet I'm older than you, William, but that Mr / Mrs / Ms / Miss in shops is still disturbing to me too.)

If people ask I say I'm Ms - I'm not a Mrs as I've never been married, but after years in a live-in relationship, Miss seems equally inappropriate.

I'm actually Bridget Holland and my partner is Steve Doughty. I get called Mrs Holland, Mrs Doughty, Ms Holland, Miss Holland and so on. I answer to anything as long as it's clear that it's me who is meant and as long as it's not too rude.

I don't care what surname is used - as I look at it I can use my father's or my partner's. I don't feel either is particularly mine.

The one form of address I really objected to was a boss of mine (Japanese) who used to call me 'O-ne-chan'. This is literally 'Sister' and is used as a term of address for an unknown young female. (Much as I imagine 'Miss' on its own was used in earlier times. Or as in 'O-ne-chan, would you make some coffee.' But putting feminism aside...)

...what drove me mad about this was that the guy knew my name and couldn't be bothered to use it. There were four young women in the office who could have been meant by 'O-ne-chan' and he just saw us as interchangeable. My identity was irrelevant, let alone my marital status!

I stopped answering until he started addressing me by name.

#3728 07/21/00 06:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>When I was learning French at school, I was taught that "tu" was the familiar form of address - to a friend, peer, or sometimes to one who was perceived as "inferior" (a servant, a student, etc.)

Other languages have similar constructions. In Russian, if I remember correctly from almost 40 years ago, the informal and formal can be found in endings on verbs themselves. Thus, if you were greeting someone you knew well you would say something that sounded similar to strawstvee, but strawstveetye if it was a casual acquaintance, superior, etc.

Of course it may be that this word wasn't a verb, but I seem to remember it translated to "how are you" or some such.

TEd
#3729 07/21/00 06:15 PM
B
addict
addict
B
>>Miss has become a generic unmarried female title, and no longer has it's place in marking the eldest female and consequestly the most eligible to be married. <<

I always thought that Miss was applied to all unmarried females, not just the eldest.

The distinction was that 'Miss X' with no given name defaulted to the eldest, so if you wanted to talk about a younger sister, you had to include that sister's given name. So for example, I would be Miss Holland and my younger sister would be Miss Jane Holland, but we would both be Miss.

If actually in conversation with Jane, though, someone would surely have addressed her to her face as 'Miss Holland', since at that point it would have been quite clear which particular Miss Holland that person (they? he/she? see how I avoid having to make a decision!!!) meant?

Also, did the rule about adding a given name if you wanted to indicate anyone other than the eldest also apply to Mr? I have the impression it did, but wouldn't like to bet on it.

#3730 07/21/00 06:39 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
A friend who is rathter pround to be a "Miss" visited friends in France recently, having just celebrated her 50th birthday. She was most upset to be called Madame rather than Mademoiselle. Apparently once an unmarried woman reaches a certain age she is called Madame out of respect, whether or not she is married. The impression she was given was - we've waited all this time for you to get married, so now we've given up on you and given you the title anyway!

I don't know if she got the wrong end of the stick - I'm sure there are experts out there - but she was quite taken aback.

#3731 07/21/00 07:17 PM
B
addict
addict
B
>A friend who is rathter pround to be a "Miss" visited friends in France recently, having just celebrated her 50th birthday. She was most upset to be called Madame rather than Mademoiselle. Apparently once an unmarried woman reaches a certain age she is called Madame out of respect, whether or not she is married. <

Yes, this is how it works. But if your friend got to 50 before it happened to her, she's doing pretty well.
I was called Madame at the age of 17 - just because I had someone else's 4 year-old child with me! And even without a child in tow, I've been called Madame for the last year or two, although I'm only 33.

#3732 07/22/00 10:28 AM
S
S
>It strikes me that apart from the married/unmarried female thing it's only purpose is to lend a polite form of address by not using a person's first name.

The whole caper could be dispensed with by simply considering it polite to address people by their given names.<

From your stories, it seems as if there is more offense and confusion generated from the use of Mrs/Miss/Ms than there would be in dispensing with them. Here's to the scrapheap! (and less boxes to fill in on forms)

#3733 07/22/00 08:55 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I've always found it somewhat strange that there are three formal addresses for the female, but only one for the male. It seems perfectly logical that those three should be reduced to one and I would say that Ms. would be the most appropriate due to the fact that it's the same length as Mr. and, tying into the PC thread, it doesn't contain Mr, as does Mrs.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith