Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#33707 06/26/01 07:08 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
just now I made an edit to my post in the "gleaning" thread, changing my reference to the "W2" dictionary to read "W3". This is a fine but important distinction -- Webster's Second International was prescriptive and Webster's Thrid is descriptive. at the time W3 was first published there was much hue and cry because of this. this is an old and much beaten horse in these parts; just try searching for prescriptive AND descriptive. my point in bringing it up yet again is to point out that almost all modern dictionaries are descriptive (that is, they describe the way the language is used; not the way it should be used). we seem to attract folks who tend towards the prescriptive (e.g., you can't use decimate like that; orientate isn't a real word!; glean doesn't mean that; etc.). but the Truth is, when it comes to how language evolves and is ultimately used, the masses will always win out. rail away, but.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Webster's Second International was proscriptive

By which our dear tsuwm means that you are not permitted to use any word found in Webster's Second.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
yet another fine distinction (yafd).

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
One noticeable problem with description is that in trying to be descriptive, there is so much variance in use. I agree with a descriptive approach so much that, within my own mind, I've redefined prescriptive into two approaches: the strict grammarian approach, and the general usage approach (no matter how wrong it may be to strict grammarians). When in a descriptive mode, I think of deviations from the normal usage.

Thats my redefining, but not necessarily refining. I suppose I should be reining in my opinions, so I'll wait until something rings a little more true.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Descriptive grammarians are lax in their duties if they do not give a hint about the impression you are going to leave with a given usage.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Tsuwm wrote: Webster's Second International was prescriptive

Faldage quoted tsuwm: Webster's Second International was proscriptive

Though undoubtedly joking, isn't this form of misquotation a bit naughty?

P..S. Dear Mandy: you are sharper than I am. From the times of the posts, I can't tell even now. In any case, I regret having commented on it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Though undoubtedly joking, isn't this form of misquotation a bit naughty?

I think perhaps the reason it was in RED is that tsuwm edited it in response to faldage's rib.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
bill, there was no misquotation; I went back and fixed it, although I obviousized it (I thought) in order to leave some context for f's "joke"; in the same manner as you may want to [and did] go back and fix your redded text.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
our pooh pah corrects his mistakes faster than you can read them.. tsuwm went back and editted out the o and editted in a red e..

but faldage raises an interesting idea.. proscriptive dictionaries.. i can think of a few words i might want to add...

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
my visual impairment makes me less likely to notice a single colored letter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith