Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Topic Options
#3340 - 06/06/00 07:39 AM clean his clock
paulb Offline
addict

Loc: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
I've just read Colm Toibin's The Blackwater lightship (set in contemporary Ireland) and the phrase "I'll clean his/her clock" was used at least twice by the grandmother character. I can work out its meaning from its context, but can anyone throw light on its derivation?

#3341 - 06/06/00 03:46 PM Re: clean his clock
Rubrick Offline
addict

Loc: Somewhere outside New York
> I've just read Colm Toibin's The Blackwater lightship (set in contemporary Ireland) and the phrase "I'll clean his/her
clock" was used at least twice by the grandmother character. I can work out its meaning from its context, but can
anyone throw light on its derivation?

Paul, to be honest, I have never heard that phrase before in my life. Colm has certainly trawled the depths of archaic language there. I would guess that Colm's actual grandmother used that term and, at a guess, she would be about 100+ so this is definitely a term from the very early part of this century.

I know Colm (hey, I don't like to name drop but this IS a small island and we all bump into each other from time to time) so I can try to get an explanation off him when I can. In the meantime I will ask someone from the English department - possibly Brendan Kennealy, who's very helpful when it comes to things like this. I'll post what I have tomorrow.

Rubrick

#3342 - 06/06/00 08:24 PM Re: clean his clock
tsuwm Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: this too shall pass
this is common enough idiom here in the colonies, meaning to beat or defeat decisively... I've no idea how or when it originated -- as a guess, it could be just a combining of two related colloquial usages: to clean up on and to clock (the latter seems to be Irish slang).

#3343 - 06/07/00 02:45 AM Re: clean his clock
Rubrick Offline
addict

Loc: Somewhere outside New York
> this is common enough idiom here in the colonies, meaning to beat or defeat decisively... I've no idea how or when it
originated -- as a guess, it could be just a combining of two related colloquial usages: to clean up on and to clock (the
latter seems to be Irish slang).

Oh, yes. To 'clock' means to hit or punch derived, I suppose, from the sound of knuckle against jaw combined with the rattle of teeth, but it is widely used in Britain too and I think it originated there. I'll go with that combination theory.

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8715 Members
16 Forums
13801 Topics
214465 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
mepallav, discopig, Byz, EdithBraemar, sherilla
8715 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (TitoMatito), 37 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
Bazr 114
LukeJavan8 87
wofahulicodoc 85
endymion6 83
jenny jenny 62
A C Bowden 35
Tromboniator 8
Faldage 4
olly 3
zmjezhd 2
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13800
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10513
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
AnnaStrophic 6511
LukeJavan8 6305
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith