Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#32915 06/25/01 11:43 AM
R
addict
addict
R
The most beautiful part of Brighton was 'The Lanes'. The cliffs and Beachy Head in Eastbourne on the other hand were quite quaint and pretty

I spent 3 years in Brighton many years ago, studying at, correction - attending Sussex University* a few miles outside Brighton. The Lanes are interesting and The Dome (not the millenium thingy) is also worth a visit. Enough pubs and restaurants to keep the students happy though.

I'm not sure "quaint" is the word to describe the cliffs, Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters. Dramatic, and crumbling, would be more appropriate. I visit an aunt in Seaford and have a nephew in Eastbourne studying Physical Education, so I am there fairly frequently. Bits of the cliffs keep falling into the sea; they moved a lighthouse recently, quite an engineerig feat. I'm told that exposing a new face on the cliffs is cheaper than having to keep painting them white.

Rod
* Of which the University song, sung to the tune of the British Grenadiers is:
Some come because of Fulton and some because of Spence
And some because they feel like, 3 years at the government's expense
But for all the best known re-a-sons for coming to SUSSEX,
It's not so much for the S-U-S,
It's for S-E-X!

Fulton was the go ahead Vice Chancellor and Basil Spence the architect (sorry - designer/builder)

#32916 07/11/01 10:11 AM
R
addict
addict
R
Interesting this. I was in Brazil for the two weeks either side of the 'Summer' solstice (I was just south of the equator) this year. In Salvador (and presumably the rest of Brazil) they celebrate the solstice as the Festa de Sao Joao - the feast of Saint John. No mention of which one but possibly a conglomeration of the two!

#32917 07/11/01 08:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That just reminded me that in Mexico the day devoted to San Juan is celebrated by throwing water on anyone that doesn't move fast enough. This leads me to believe that the San Juan in question is St. John the Baptist. Of course, living in the desert of Northern Mexico, I NEVER moved too fast to escape being baptized.

consuelo

#32918 07/11/01 11:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Where have you been?! Glad to see you back! Viva a Festa de São João!

#32919 07/12/01 10:46 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
If the feast day of San Juan is near the solstice, then yes, it is St. John the Baptist, because it is celebrated as a holiday (St-Jean Baptiste) in Quebec, and also in Newfoundland. (Apparently St. John's is named as it is because John Cabot landed here on June 24, 1497, and picked the patron saint of the day for the name of the city. That is, however, just hearsay.)

#32920 07/12/01 02:36 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
There's a good bit of confusion over St. John. The church calendar has two St. John's feast days: St. John the Baptist on June 24, near the summer solstice, and St. John the Evangelist on Dec. 27, near the winter solstice.

The June one is formally known as "The Nativity of St. John the Baptist". Its June date comes from its being linked to the date of Jesus' birth. From St. Luke, Chapt. 1, we learn that Elisabeth (the cousin of Mary of Nazareth) became pregnant in her old age by her husband Zacharias; her child was named John, later known as John the Baptist. When she was 6 months pregnant, an angel appeared to Mary in Nazareth and announced that she would become pregnant by the Holy Spirit, which happened then and there after she expressed her consent. The Bible says nothing about when either of these events, or the birth of Jesus, took place, nor is there even a hint as to what season it might have been. At some point the date for the celebration of the birth of Jesus was settled on Dec. 25 (on grounds that have been debated ever since). So from that, the date for the Annunciation was fixed for March 25 (9 mos. earlier) and the date for the birth of John the Baptist become June 24 (3 mos. after the Annunciation).

There are other problems with the Biblical Johns. There are:
1. The author of the Gospel of John, called St. John the Evangelist (evangelist meaning bearer of good news, gospel meaning good news)
2. The author of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Epistles of John, generally (but not universally) considered to be St. John the Evangelist
3. The author of the last book of the New Testament, the Revelation of John (Revelations), generally now considered not to be the same author, and frequently called St. John the Divine to distinguish him from the Evangelist. (the huge Episcopal cathedral in New York City is the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine)
4. St. John the Baptist. No confusing him with anyone else.
5. The disciple of Jesus named John and referred to in St. John's Gospel as "the disciple whom Jesus loved". That Gospel says that the author was that disciple, but there is considerable doubt about this, since it is generally accepted that the Gospel of John was probably the last-written of the four Gospels and probably not until about 100 AD, or about 70 years after the events which the Gospel recounts.

#32921 07/13/01 03:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
God of Chocolate Candy Bars
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it would more appropriately be a goddess,

No, no, Alex, it is a God: --iva, that is!
to my beloved friend--thanks for the parcel, Sweetie

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith