About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mars...the closest to the Earth it will be all year

I have to amend my data a bit, here. Mars is now closer to the Earth than it has ever been for the past 13 years! It is in opposition, meaning in perfect alignment with the Earth and Sun. Happy Mars watching!

#32906 06/22/01 08:54 AM
R
addict
addict
R
I understand that you cannot get into the circle of stones (Stonehenge) these days
That is true for the normal vistor. It is a shame but I totally understand that normal wear and tear plus vandalism was causing too many problems. I believe that there are a limited number of educational visits which allow close contact, and special solstice arrangements are made for Druids and pseudo-druids.

As for the tree question, I remember seeing programs about ancient civilisations (not specifically British) having far more ingenuity at using their limited technology than we give thenm credit for. Also, some of the British landscape has been fundamentally unchanged since pre-Roman times. I know this doesn't go back to Stonehenge, but the forests, roads, field layouts, were well established by then. I am still looking for a link, book, someone who was around at the time, that can tell me whether Salisbury Plain was a scrubby moor in those days or not. Certainly the current soil depth will only support scrub with the occasional copse.

Rod

B
old hand
old hand
B
> Mars is now closer to the Earth than it has ever been for the past 13 years! It is in opposition, meaning in perfect alignment with the Earth and Sun. Happy Mars watching!

Slight digression:
Yesterday I saw a quiz programme where a young man was asked which popular chocolate bar shares its name with the Roman god of war and a planet. His um'd and ah'd and came up with, yep, SNICKERS!!

#32908 06/22/01 09:29 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#32909 06/22/01 01:57 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Snickers! That's a good one, BY.

It strikes me that the world needs a God of Chocolate Candy Bars, and now we have one.

What other areas did the Greeks and Romans fail to anticipate? And what should their names be?

The God of roasted peanuts -- Saltier
The Goddess of dust bunnies -- Perpetualia
The Goddess of fingerprints on windows -- Smearma
.... and her sidekick, the godette of dog nose prints on windows -- Snuffle

#32910 06/22/01 02:14 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

God of Chocolate Candy Bars

I think it would more appropriately be a goddess, although we hardly need to come up with a new for chocolate, as I am sure Venus would have been enthusiastic about it.

#32911 06/23/01 05:57 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
and her sidekick, the godette of dog nose prints on windows -- Snuffle

Thanks for the chuckle, Sparteye ... and the reminder...
going off to take care of the snuffled back windows of the car.

#32912 06/24/01 07:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I understand that you cannot get into the circle of stones (Stonehenge) these days

I was visiting England with People to People in 1969 and stayed with an elderly couple for three days. They decided to take us to a shingley beach (Brighton, I think it was) and we passed within a few miles of Stonehenge. As much as my companion and I begged to go to Stonehenge instead, they refused to take us. I grew up on the white sand beaches of Lake Michigan. Imagine the depths of my disappointment! I never got back to Europe.
P.S. Anyone who put off visiting the ruins of Mexico, it is now forbidden to climb them.
P.S.S. I know of a place in Northern Lower Michigan called Stone Circle. There are three concentric circles of boulders with a fire pit in the middle. There poets, musicians, storytellers, etc are invited to share and all are welcome to listen. There are only three rules: You must know your material by heart. No satanic material. No risque material until after midnight.
Anyone interested in learning more about this, pm me.

consuelo

#32913 06/25/01 07:59 AM
R
addict
addict
R
They decided to take us to a shingley beach (Brighton, I think it was) and we passed within a few miles of Stonehenge.
consuelo, a belated apology for the inhospitable actions of my countrymen.
But as a matter of geography, where were you staying that passed within a few miles of Stonehenge on the way to Brighton? That doesn't sound like a sensible journey unless they had some other major reason to go to Brighton.
Rod

#32914 06/25/01 10:57 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Stonehenge and ther public:
A friend of mine was at a trance party around Stonehenge just a couple of years back. Apparently that was the first time they opened it to the public for years.

> That doesn't sound like a sensible journey unless they had some other major reason to go to Brighton.

Too true. I was in windy Brighton a month or two back to meet a friend. The most beautiful part of the town I saw was 'Thes Lanes', certainly not the beach. The cliffs and Beachy Head in Eastbourne on the otherhand were quite quaint and pretty.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith