About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#31510 06/08/01 12:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My deepest condolences, mav. I can only echo the advice given so far. I know from personal experience the devastation that cancer leaves behind. I lost my father when he was in his late 60s about 25 years ago and a very good friend in his 30s just recently. Truly, the care of the son will be the hardest task. I wish you well in the weeks ahead. It will all pass in time but it will leave you changed forever.

#31511 06/08/01 02:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Maverick, my heartfelt sympathies...I lost my best friend to cancer at this time last year and was asked by his wife to play a song at his funeral (with a friend). It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do in my life, but I got through it. My friend, who has sung at services before, said she had learned not to look directly at anybody's faces when you speak, read, or sing at a funeral...which was a good tip. I brought my sheet music with me, even though I didn't need it, and focused on that...and I got through it (the song they had played at their wedding 2 years earlier...needless to say, if I had looked into his wife's face at that moment I would've lost it completely). So you'll find the strength, maverick...just focus on your notes.

Here's the most poignant poem for a funeral service I know...I discovered it recently at The Poetry Archives courtesy of an English gentleman named Chesil who maintains his own poetry archives (Chesil's Favourite Poetry).
This moving poem first came to public attention after a copy was left in an envelope for his parents by Steven Cummins, a soldier killed on active service in Northern Ireland, to be opened in the event of his death. In the weeks that followed the first broadcast, some 30,000 copies were requested from the British Radio Programme: The Bookworm:

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I did not die.

--Anon.

Some believe the poem has Native American roots, and it has been traced back to authorship there but never fully substantiated. Here's the other version:

Native American Prayer

I give you this one thought to keep --
I am with you still -- I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not think of me as gone --
I am with you still -- in each new dawn.

And here is the URL for the site where Chesil has archived poems pertaining to death if you need to find something
more suitable:

http://www.photoaspects.com/chesil/death/index.html

Again , maverick, my sincerest condolences...you'll find your way through it, I'm sure.

My Love and Prayers,
David

#31512 06/08/01 09:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I empathise with all my heart!

I remember and reflect the humor of all those passed, and I recall the last line I wrote for my Dad's eulogy...

... leaves a legacy which will live long into the twenty first century.

#31513 06/11/01 01:05 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thanks for these and the pms (have we verbed anew, tsuwm - to pee-em a friend?).

I shall be using a number of the suggestions later today. Goodnight all.

#31514 06/12/01 08:38 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thanks to everyone.

Of all the good ideas proffered, I ended up quoting briefly from Remember by Christina Rossetti, and also used both the Native American Prayer and the wonderful short piece by Leo Marks. These seemed best to help convey the sense of continuity through the hearts and minds of all of us whom Kate touched in her short life. Her younger brother David spoke very movingly also - she had once saved his life a few years ago.

I spoke the words of Yours and yours and yours directly to young Colin at the final moments of the service, letting the words fall away to a whispered finish, and he was gently smiling back up at me. I nearly cracked with the rest of the congregation. I was so reminded of the way Kate used to wrinkle her nose when she smiled. He is a loving and remarkably poised young man, and his mum has the finest of all possible testaments to the love that drove her forward through nine years of agony.

#31515 06/12/01 10:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
*sob*
Much love, Sweetie.

#31516 06/12/01 01:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav,

I'm sorry I had no words for you, but you know I hold you in my heart. I thank Jackie for her words -- both her own and those she found elsewhere. Words are easy for me to come by only when we're discussing intellectual thangs. I just discovered my friend and next-door-neighbor has cancer. We soldier on.

#31517 06/12/01 03:20 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I just discovered my friend and next-door-neighbor has cancer.

Two friends are breast cancer survivors and one sent me this link :
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
If you open and click the pink bar one of the site sponsors donates a free mammogram to a woman who otherwise could not afford it.
It takes just a moment ... I know this is not a word related post but I ask your indulgence. And it is not just women who get breast cancer, gentlemen!
Thank you.

#31518 06/12/01 05:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A heartfelt tear for the blessing and strength you managed to find in the midst of all your anguish.

With Love,
David

#31519 06/12/01 05:59 PM
H
addict
addict
H
So sorry to hear this hard news, maverick.

Sounds like you handled this difficult occasion with love, caring and respect. My thoughts are with you, and with your friend's son - such stories make me want to rush home and just hold my own son close.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 799 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith