Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#31002 06/02/01 05:07 PM
G
Geoff Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
G
[question] I just encountered a bit of Britspeak with which I'm unfamiliar. What, pray tell, is an airing cupboard?

#31003 06/02/01 05:40 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just by typing "Airing Cupboard" in Yahoo search box, I got two sites so named. The first was used as name for place to to leave messages about one's gripes. The second involved building a louver ventilated clothing storage space.

After seeing wow's post below, I went back and looked at the pictures taken of the process of building the airing cupboard, and could see no wiring to provide warmth, which actually could be hard to make safe, nor any way of forcing air through it. Things would be packed so tightly I would be concerned that mildew could develop.

#31004 06/02/01 07:43 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What, pray tell, is an airing cupboard?

Geoff! You brought back a memory. When in Ireland I stayed with relatives and one day did some laundry and hung it outside. When I brought it in my cousin Patsy asked if I'd like to "put it in the airing cupboard awhile." I responded "I think they've had enough air, I just want then to dry!"
Then, she explained that an airing cupboard is a kind of large closet with shelves and places to hang things. The airing cupboard is built with warmth circulating through it so all dampness is taken out of clothes, linens, shoes etc.... I wish I had one in my house, to be truthful!
Hope that answers your question because that's the only one I know about. I would imagine airing cupboards are the same in England.
Any UK friends out there with a different solution?

#31005 06/03/01 12:37 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
wow asks

Any UK friends out there with a different solution?

When once I visited my mother-in-law in England, I noticed that when it is a sunny day there was a lot of "hanging of the laundry on the line" activity going on in the neighborhood. There was no airing cupboard in the house so when the laundry is taken in they "decorate" the areas that are considered "warm and airy" and that would mean the heater/radiator and its vicinity, the back of the fridge (which is set far from the wall for this purpose), and the closet where the water heater is hidden.

chronist

#31006 06/03/01 03:54 AM
G
Geoff Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
G
Thanks, wow, wwh, and WC! (Wordcrazy, not water closet!) The cause of my query was an article in a UK-based radio-controlled model jet airplane magazine. In an article on soaking balsa wood in ammonia solution for molding purposes, the author was explaining that molded balsa could be dried in an airing closet. He did comment that it required the permission of the missus!

So, now the secret's out: Aside from words, I also play with little toy airplanes. As the saying goes, "You tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys."

#31007 06/03/01 01:21 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
So, now the secret's out: Aside from words, I also play with little toy airplanes.

Now, now! When you're too old to play with toys ... you become a model maker!

Any suggestions on how I could explain my collection of stuffed animals?

#31008 06/03/01 01:38 PM
G
Geoff Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
G
Any suggestions on how I could explain my collection of stuffed animals?

Let's see, infantile tactile deprivation leading to a desire for fuzzy things to snuggle in adulthood? Nah, too Freudian. Symbolic representations of household gods per ancient Roman custom? I think they were called penates, or some such. Or maybe they're just cute?

#31009 06/03/01 01:40 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
But we still haven't figured out how enough warm air is made to circulate through the contraption to make it work

P.S. I went back and looked at the pictures again, and the very first picture shows a red insulation covered cylinder which must be a water heater. So, that it how warm air is made to circulate through the enclosure..

#31010 06/03/01 01:42 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

After seeing wow's post below, I went back and looked at the pictures taken of the process of building the airing cupboard, and could see no wiring to provide warmth, which actually could be hard to make safe, nor any way of forcing air through it. Things would be packed so tightly I would be concerned that mildew could develop.

Of course here in the tropics we don't need airing cupboards, but all my family have them at home in England. A hot water tank -- I think it's part of the central heating system -- is what provides the warmth. I don't think anyone's ever had any problems with mildew. Clothes only stay in the airing cupboard for a couple of days before being passed on to the wardrobe or chest of drawers, or being worn.

The question is of course if US'n households don't run to airing cupboards what do they do with their laundry during bad weather?
Bingley

Bingley
#31011 06/03/01 02:10 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
The question is of course if US'n households don't run to airing cupboards what do they do with their laundry during bad weather?

We have the amazingly modern technological convenience called the drier. It's a big box that sits next to the washer. It does exactly what its name says plus it rotates the clothes around a lot so they don't get wrinkly, unless of course you leave them in too long after the drier stops.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 709 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith