Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
old hand
old hand
B
I think next-door neighbour is pretty widespread. And they may still be the next door to yours, even if there is grass and fence in between!

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I think next-door neighbour is pretty widespread. And they may still be the next door to yours, even if there is grass and fence in between!

I wonder if the term emanates from the terraced streets of industrial England, where the person who lived in the next house was, literally, at the next door, and where doors were in pairs all the way down the street?
In the early days, houses weren't numbered, so anyone looking for a person would have to ask where they lived. If they got hings* slightly wrong, they would be told, "Try the next door."

* EDIT - that typo should be recast as "Things", rather than "hingEs"

F
addict
addict
F
I always say in line, and I agree with those who have located the on line variant to NYC, but I've known Southern Jerseyites to say it as well. Anyone ever hear it in Philly?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Does this connect in any way with the ?depression era phrase on the breadline ?

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
'I was outside all night standing on line' Does this connect in any way with the ?depression era phrase on the breadline ?

"On the breadline" meant you were having hard times and in need ... implied a continuing, if temporary, state and since many were in the same position there was no criticism implied.
But, "on the dole" meant someone who was malingering, looking to others for continuing support ... not getting up off your duff and looking for work.
Mostly we say "in line" when, for example, waiting to buy movie tickets
"On line" has a connotation of camping out to be sure of getting tickets to an one-time event : a rock concert or the last game of the World Series. I'd thought "on line" was imported from UK ... where did I go wrong?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Never heard of on-street or off-street. People here were using on line (She's on line) to mean on the telephone long before using the internet became common.

Bingley

Bingley
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
> Never heard of on-street or off-street.

Some might say (not me :-) 'there's an on-street market today'. Or 'on-street parking is forbidden'.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Or 'on-street parking is forbidden'.

Yup, until belligerentyouth posted that, I couldn't think of on-street/off-street examples, but that's an important one in a place where it snows heavily in the winter!

F
addict
addict
F
And in big cities like Burlington, Vermont an important apartment amenity is "Off-street parking available" (meaning you don't have to pray for an open spot near your building).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In NYC (and it is a regionalism) we wait on line-- (and orders other-- "Wait your turn-- get on (the) line!

Interesting, of troy. I grew up 30 miles West of NYC in central New Jersey (Plainfield), was always in and about New York, and I also lived in New York for awhile along the way. And I honestly can say I have heard and used both variations all my life...never did ponder the whys and wherefores of it. Get on line!/get in line!...waiting in line/waiting on line...were always of interchangeable usage in my mind. But..."cut in line,""don't cut in line!" or "your cutting in line" was always in ! Never knew until this thread that these were any different elsewhere, or of regional nature!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 932 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith