Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So... one can only understand what they are by: stopping what they are, that is, learning what they aren't, and within having this new found knowledge is the essense of becoming something else, and therefore never having a chance to find out what one is, only what one was; and, if in doing so one found out that what they were was preferable to what they had become, the road back is, in effect, closed for eternity.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So... one can only understand what they are by: stopping what they are, that is, learning what they aren't, and in having this new found knowledge is the essense of becoming something else, and therefore never having a chance to find out what one is, only what one was; and if, in doing so, one found out that what they were was preferable to what they had become, the road back is, in effect, closed for eternity.

Um ... well ... Okay, if you say so!
[walking away hands in pocket, shoulders hunched, head bowed, muttering "What?" -e]

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So... one can only understand what they are by: stopping what they are, that is, learning what they aren't, and within having this new found knowledge is the essense of becoming something else, and therefore never having a chance to find out what one is, only what one was; and, if in doing so one found out that what they were was preferable to what they had become, the road back is, in effect, closed for eternity.

I understood this perfectly--I think. Let me try reframing it, and sweet musick can correct me if I'm wrong. Let's say that what we are, prior to learning another culture, is
'A'. Learning another culture ("what we aren't") is 'B'.
The process of 'B' somehow changes us irrevocably, and so we become 'C', and can never go back to being just 'A'.

I disagree--to a certain extent. I believe that most
people will indeed be influenced by acquired knowledge. But it doesn't follow that everyone will be. And this theory does not allow for the possibility that a 'C'-state
person could consciously decide to rid himself of all 'B'
influences. If someone did that, they would then return to being 'A'.

Furthermore, I suspect that SM made this post tongue-firmly-in-cheek. So, you see, SM, I have foiled your little plot, hah hah haa-aah...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, the special theory of relativity. Physics! Great, I'm happy now.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Glad to have been of assistance, CK.

#28396 05/06/01 12:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie,

I feel your pain. I'm reminded of interminable cricket and rugby threads perpetrated by certain Zildians who, of course, shall remain anonymous. At *least the Euro-panto thread has to do with words

#28397 05/06/01 03:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...he's my buddy.

Just a quick reference for those who don't "thread" (I don't), that was directed at Faldage.

Now back to our story...

Inherent to the process of acquiring (ie. connecting the dots) is internalizing (quoth Jimmy Obvious), and certainly the goal when learning a different language, I think. Although there is clearly a limit to what one can keep in mind at a given moment (or would make *sense to do so anyway) which would lead me to believe that some (large) part of who we are is going to be ignored (or even unavailable) most of the time, it is the pallet in which we draw from which is irrecoverably changed. One may not choose to "paint with certain colors" ever again, but, in Jackie's terms, ignoring "C" doesn't mean you arrived back at the original "A"... close... more like an A+ (or A prime).

Although we talk about language here, we use language to communicate about it, and to stop and re-explain every context that we aren't using would become quite a hinderance: a kind of externalizing of the language process - artfully(ha,ha-tsuwm) internalizing even further under the guize of "unlearning".

Furthermore, I suspect that SM made this post tongue-firmly-in-cheek. So, you see, SM, I have foiled your little plot, hah hah haa-aah.. ...well not so firmly... and although my advocacy may travel south on occasion, there has to be at least 2.24 percent of *truth (or was that *beauty?) somewhere north in the post.

#28398 05/06/01 04:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, Sweetie, it takes all kinds...

Gee-minently, will I ever navigate the convolutions of your mind? (But even if I don't, SM, I won't nagivate you.)
(And you're my SM, but you call whoever it if you want.)

So, you have now included art in the equation, as well as mathematics. Aptually®, I agree with you, about 97.76%.

#28399 05/06/01 09:03 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I'm reminded of interminable cricket and rugby threads perpetrated by certain Zildians who, of course, shall remain anonymous.

Hmmm, an intersting use of the word interminable. A search reveals that a grand total of 34 posts contain the word, "rugby", while there are just over four times as many posts containing the word "baseball." Where is the harrumphing about "interminable" threads on US sports, may I ask?

#28400 05/06/01 10:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Where is the harrumphing about "interminable" threads on US sports, may I ask?

Go ahead and harrumph, Max, but my lawyer asks you to remember to use the ® hi Jackie!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,375
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,563
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith