Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#27446 05/01/01 05:14 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Drove through Iowa on cross country trip. OFF the Interstates. Really nifty towns with some great examples of Victorian and American Gothic architecture. And some amazing antique shops! Nice folks,too.
But I cannot argue with "flat", Mav, except for the parties which are anything but!!!
Welcome Iowa!
wow

#27447 05/01/01 06:40 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I didn't get it at all, and have been missing a lot of daily offerings. I received an email from Anu today noting that there is a problem with AOL email. He got on to some people at AOL but didn't get any satisfaction. Apparantly, this is a problem systemwide with AOL to the point that AOL mail is becoming a joke. I knew there were problems, but didn't know it was that bad. I sent my own message to Steve Case suggesting he get one of his geniuses on the problem before this mighty empire he has built up founders on such a simple matter as email, which is, after all, one of the main reasons one uses AOL, or any other IPI. Have any of you also had problems with AOL?

#27448 05/01/01 07:00 PM
H
addict
addict
H
IPI

Where I neck in the woods...er, I mean, out here in California, we say ISP - Internet Service Provider. What's an IPI (besides a sixties counter-culture type)?

#27449 05/01/01 07:56 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Where I neck in the woods...er, I mean, out here in California, we say ISP

As do we here at the top of the world. I think that everybody does, except for those poor unfortunates using AOL, aka AOHell, AOSmell, etc. In every computer-related NG I frequent, the chant is the same, "AOL is NOT a real ISP", "AOL is the work of the Devil", "dump AOL while you still can"

#27450 05/01/01 09:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I can't remember whether this came up in a post on the Board, or whether I was in some other forum, but the ones to avoid like the plague are:

AOL
MSN
Hotmail
Yahoo

These "providers", as I understand it, lay claim in the fine print to all your material on their servers as their property including your commercially-sensitive information and intellectual property. When challenged, apparently they say that it's to keep them out of legal hot water, and that they don't, in fact, invade your files at all. You'd use them of course. Yeah, right.

Note that the wording they use seems innocuous, but Sparteye or Scribbler or any half-trained legal eagle would apparently spot the problems pretty much right away. This doesn't include me.

No doubt there are other ISPs out there who will steal anything which isn't nailed down. Using a webmail provider is, however, a major risk. I research ISPs as best I can, myself ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#27451 05/01/01 11:27 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Re: material in e-mail being property of ISP

So what if it is. Few of us have anything there of potential monetary value. And with so many subscribers, how could the ISP afford the cost of searching for anything they could profit from?

I'd be a lot more upset by Bobyoungbalt's information that AOL fails to deliver a significant number of messages.That really stinks. I used to get notice that messages I had sent to another board member had become "enqeued" for several days, and could never tell for sure whether or not they were delivered. I suspect that the other party's ISP was somehow incompetent.

How can you find out if your ISP is ripping you off? Your friends do not want to be quizzed about every message.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So what if it is. Few of us have anything there of potential monetary value.

The only real answer to this (aside from the occasional pre-published poem, or creating a collection of your e-mails to be subpoenaed(sp?) at a latter date) is the collection of e-mail addresses and future (for me present) junk mail wrath!

Check your ISP's privacy policy (if they have one).

#27453 05/02/01 07:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Bill has asked a legitimate question: "So what if your ISP is not particularly ethical?"

Two things you need to consider before using email to transfer potentially actionable or sensitive information around the place:

1. Most ISPs are working at very low margins and will be looking for any way they can to make a buck.
2. Not all ISPs are ethical in the way they treat their customers, never mind in respect of the data on their servers.

You and I may not have much to lose this way; but companies who use an ISP whose business ethics are dodgy are just asking for trouble.

I have problems with using any any supplier of services who acts unethically whether that affects me directly or not.

#27454 05/02/01 07:59 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Bill has asked a legitimate question: "So what if your ISP is not particularly ethical?"

Dear CK: that is not quite what I said. I would not want to support an unethical company. My problem is that I do not see how to tell which ISP is best for me.

I am reminded of an old timer's aphorism: "There ain't no choice in a pig turd."

#27455 05/02/01 10:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I am reminded of an old timer's aphorism: "There ain't no choice in a pig turd."

Graphic but unfortunately true. Conjures up another bout of WordPix, it really does.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith