About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#27424 05/03/01 09:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nah, he's just transmogrifying. (See Information & Announcements)

T
stranger
stranger
T
I also thought of Arthur, the "once and future king."

The "nickname" would be Art, which is a wonderful thing to be called!

So far as changing your Chinese name, Youtian is indeed a beautiful sounding name with a beautiful meaning, and people won't have much trouble spelling it. People are more used to Asian names now, and it won't set you apart as much as you might think.

Some of my Chinese friends have kept their Chinese names, some use their Chinese name for their middle name. Lin came to America at the age of 12. She chose Kara as her first name, and Lin as her middle name. The only reason she changed it was because Lin is pronounced differently than it is spelled. Her family still calls her Lin.

Sunan kept her name. Frank changed his. Jeff's parent's gave him an American name when they arrived, as did Mosanna's parents (but Mosanna is not an English-language name. It just sounded American to them.)

Wang is a very common name here in Los Angeles. I just looked it up in the telephone book: 250 Wangs are listed for the City of Los Angeles. (The City of Los Angeles is only a small part of the vast area that is referred to as Los Angeles.)

However, if you choose to translate it, King is a fine name.

For many, it is a part of the process of becoming American to change your name. My father was Waldo Dario Mario Cassaretto when he arrived in America in 1930. By the time he died, he was Oz Glover. It happened through marriage (his mother remarried), and through the other children giving him friendly nicknames, because Waldo sounded foreign to them (remember, this was a long time ago. "Foreign" isn't really an issue these days. It doesn't matter much to people any more.)

Keeping your Chinese name and using a nickname is also good. My father never changed his name legally from Waldo to Oz. His last name was changed from Cassaretto to Glover because his mother's second husband adopted him.

Sorry to go on so long!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Sorry to go on so long!

No need to apologize. Your post was very interesting. Welcome aBoard, and keep 'em coming!

#27427 05/05/01 07:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
French Pie asked, in puzzlement, Capital Kiwi is leaving?

To which AnnaS, secret agent extraordinaire, replied from under cover: Nah, he's just transmogrifying. (See Information & Announcements)

To which I respond: "How will I know when it's happened, AnnaS?" I hope you have an answer by early August!

I see the_mcallister is leaving Zild in 2002. West Island or The Land of the Long White Pom, we wonders, precious?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your cordial and impressing posts. I have read them through and I could feel the kindness and wisdom of you all.

I'm here posting this question not because that I'm going to completely remove my original name, but because that I want one English name. So I'm just looking for an English name which is very English and very common, and as a normal naming process goes, just very tailored for me.

My teacher gave me my Chinese name when I was in secondary school when he was drinking with my father. Now I'm going to internet to talk with you about another one.

As you can see, some new posts came up with some new good names. I hope I could see more. I think I will conclude what my English name should be some time later. Maybe some long, but it's good to wait for a while for a very sweet thing, I think.

It will be a very common, very English, and some nice (for myself only) name

I thank you all for your help and I'm really eager to see more.

Yesterday, when I'm here writing to your, the power is off suddenly. Now I wrote again. If you see it, that means today everything is ok.

Best regards,
Wang Youtian

1.Girls r right
2.When u find girls r wrong, u r wrong
3.Never forget the above 2 points

1.Girls r right
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wang Youtian,

1.Girls r right

You'll do FINE in the United States!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
If you want an English name, others will have to help.
If you want an American name, you can't go wrong with Joe!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
it's good to wait for a while for a very sweet thing, I think.

You are wise beyond your years, I think.

So far, people have suggested names which reflect certain connections to your Chinese names, but you mention that your English name will be a very common, very English, and some nice (for myself only) name , so I'm now chiming in with common, popular-but-not-the-fad-of-the-year names for men:

Adam
Alan, sometimes shortened to Al
Benjamin, usually shortened to Ben
David, often shortened to Dave, and extremely popular on this board
Gregory, usually shortened to Greg
Kevin
Michael, usually shortened to Mike
Robert, usually shortened to Bob, but sometimes to Rob
Steven, or Stephen, usually shortened to Steve
Thomas, usually shortened to Tom

These are all names I would consider for my own sons. If you like the sound of any of the names, you can use it with confidence that it will be a very common, very English, very nice name.

#27432 05/11/01 03:25 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Looked up some of Sparteye's nifty suggestions in a names-and-meanings book. Herewith what I discovered:

Adam is Hebrew for "man of red earth."

Alan, (Al) several meanings : from the Gaelic meaning "Handsome"; from the Celtic meaning "harmony and peace"; from the Norman meaning "harmony."

Benjamin, (Ben) from Hebrew meaning "son of the right hand" or "fortunate."

David, (Dave) from the Hebrew meaning "beloved." Which you have certainly become to many on this Board.

Gregory,(Greg) from the Greek meaning "watchfull."

Kevin (Kev) is an Irish name meaning "handsome by birth."

Michael, (Mike) from Hebrew meaning "who is God-like."

Robert, (Bob, Rob) from Old German meaning "bright fame."

Steven, or Stephen, (Steve) from Greek meaning "crown or wreath" as in the wreath that crowns the brow of an athletic champion, traditionally made of laurel leaf.

Thomas, (Tom) from the Hebrew meaning "twin." The apostle Thomas was supposed to be a twin and the first bearer of the name.

And for my American suggestion - Joseph (Joe)- it is from the Hebrew meaning "an increase or addition".
Another good American name is John (Johnny) which means "gift of God" or "god is gracious"

wow

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
My teacher gave me my Chinese name when I was in secondary school when he was drinking with my father.

my teachers never drank with my father...

as several people have said, these days people don't expect non-natives to take a local name in western countries.
i would go one step further and suggest that it can sound a bit too cute and old-fashioned.

also, that choosing a name often doesn't work. what people end up calling you is often the name you end up taking.

feel free to educate us in chinese names, rather than expect the reverse.

have you ever noticed how names go with personalities?
from reading your posts, i would say you are an arthur, if it came to a nickname. wisdom is important with this name, and from your obvious wisdom when it comes to women, you should feel free to take this name.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 802 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith