Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Rod,

Thanks for your help! I'm a little moved by your words "So if you are young and male and want an interesting way to start conversations with new females, I suggest you stay with it." That's a good point I think...:)

Oh, will you think over the weekend for thinking a more english name for me? We have holidays these days for it's may day now or labor day as we call it in China. So don't labor too much, and labours should rest in these days...hehe *_*

Regards,
Y.T.

1.Girls r right
2.When u find girls r wrong, u r wrong
3.Never forget the above 2 points
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

now as i have changed my mind a little from your posts, to be verified that Wang Youtian is just a good one?...

Woutian, there's no question about it your name is a great one, why change it for some boring old English one? After all, your language and your culture are both older than English, so you have seniority. I am sure that getting used to having people use your names in inverted order, Youtian Wang instead of Wang Youtian, will be enough of an accommodation on your part. I say this as one who is neither learned nor a Yankee.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
There are also a large number of Brits and New Zealanders here

Hmm. As of June 1, there will be one extra Brit and one fewer NZer, leaving, let me just count them all up, ah, one!

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Thanks Faldage,

I think I should have Eugene(or gene for short) in my collection for at least it's suggested twice here( of troy also did it)

Esp. when I looked up in www.m-w.com, the interpretation is ver much loveable. It's about a prince's story, involving three lovely countries: french, italy, and spain and austrian....and eugene is viewed as one of history's greatest generals. oh. I learned a lot and the story is good.

Thanks so much.
Youtian
============================
www.m-w.com: Eugene

Main Entry: Eu·gene
Pronunciation: yü-'jEn, 'yü-", French [OE]-zhen
Function: biographical name
1663-1736 François-Eugène de Savoie-Carignan prince of Savoy & Austrian general; fought in Italy in War of Spanish Succession (1701-03), etc.; viewed as one of history's greatest generals

1.Girls r right
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Valued Jackie,

Thanks for your reply. Does your name, Jacqulyn (or
Jacqueline, the common spelling) indicate you are a lady? But I guess Jackie could be used as a name for male(only or too), for once I have a male colleague whose name is Jackie Zhang. Also, in Hongkong a motion pic star named Jackie Chan.

Thanks for the website you provided, for these days i just don't know where to surf when facing a computer with internet access sometimes.

A puzzle, in the babynames website, seems JACQUELINE or JACLYN means to protect, not supplant, while Jacoba means supplant. so i'm puzzling in comparing your letter with the website....Should I write one letter to the website to report their misplacing?

Regards,
Youtian

Pls allow me to try Valued in my address to show respect, for my ex-manager, an american lady, often uses Valued Customers in her "out of office" message as an auto-reply when she is on vacation.

1.Girls r right
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
hi, belligerentyouth, now i know what your name is...:)

I do think I should use wordsmith or linguaphiles instead of yankees only...hehe, for from awad news letter, seems here can be called United Nations 2.

and Sinophiles means Chinese? I guess now my glossary is increasing.

BTW, r u from scotland?

Thanks!
Truly urs, YT

1.Girls r right
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Sinophiles means Chinese?

"Sinophile" means someone who likes China, and things Chinese - literally a "China-lover"

here's a url for you
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=Sinophile

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Dear WWH, and all the wordwide helpers with my name,

Thanks for letting me know that my name is one to be proud of, and so easy to learn.

I once met with a Canadian family just before 1999-2000's Xmas(before Nov 25th, 1999, I remember). the parents are our english teachers and they brought their 4 children to our class.

three elders are girls and the youngest is a boy. They are very lovely, and I remember them clearly.

When our party ended, I asked the boy( sorry, I just called him the boy at that time, later I know it's very rude in the western coutries for they treat boys just like an adult gentleman) to pronouce my name, i found it's very easy for him to do and the pronunciation is very clear, pleasant to hear and just the same as we read it in our chinese way.

also, when i was in an multinational company, my american colleagues often called me Y.T., and I was educated that it's american way, for our american manager was also often called in there initials(such as abc), one for her name, one for the middle letter in her full name and one for her surname. is that true? if that's true, I just wonder what will be called to a person whose name is Walter Caddy?

Best Regards,
Y.T.

1.Girls r right
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Of troy,

Thanks. I think I will not select Linda unless she is my girlfriend.

eugene is quite great and so is amos, I'm just adding them to my collection. Almost King is as noble as a king but needn't to be in office everyday, i think.

Thanks very much
Youtian Wang

1.Girls r right
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Thanks, Dear Wow.

Thanks for your comments on my name, i think i'm encouraged to carry it into all the 21 century, and try 22 century.

Best wishes from Beijing, China
Honestly Yours,
Youtian

P.S.

I believe your name will be very popular in China, if not worldwide. We here often use wow as an exclaimation to express surprise, expecially out of joy, such as:

Wow, You are great!
Regards,
Youtian

1.Girls r right
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,189 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith