Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Dears,

I come from China. I'm puzzled all along to have an English Name for myself. I really want one which is some cool and popular so that it doesn't sound very alien. My English learning is poor, so i came here to turn to you these learned Yankees for help.

My chinese name is Wang Youtian. Wang is my family name, means King in chinese while Youtian, my first name, can be interpreted as Someday( "You" is have, and "Tian" is day). I once thought of Someday King as my english name, but seems Someday is not an English name, though King could be a normal surname(such as Martin Luther King). So is ther some english name which is not very alien while bears some same meaning as my Chinese name??

//Bow

sincerely urs,
wang, youtian from beijing, China

1.Girls r right
2.When u find girls r wrong, u r wrong
3.Never forget the above 2 points
F
addict
addict
F
Youtian,

I will now forever think of myself as a "learned Yankee". First of all, I should say that I think your Chinese name is beautiful, and here in America, ethnic names are becoming more popular everyday, so your name would certainly not be unusual here. One important question though is, what is your gender? American names are usually specific to one sex or the other, so that will determine what an appropriate "english" name for you might be. Hope we can help.

R
addict
addict
R
Youtian,
I agree with Flatlander that Youtian is a pleasant and pronouncable name. Also the translation "Someday King" is an interesting name. It has two meanings which you may or may not like. Firstly, it could mean that you are the "King" or "Champion" of doing things "Someday", that is never, suggesting in a friendly way that you are (or work very hard to be) lazy!
Or, that "Someday" you are actually going to be "King" or a leader of something, so you are now a prince.
It will certainly be a talking point, but you may get tired of explaining it to every new person you meet. It works better as a name if you are male. So if you are young and male and want an interesting way to start conversations with new females, I suggest you stay with it. But I will think over the weekend for a more English or American name.

Rod

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ni hao ma, You-Tian. Welcome to the board. I know you will get intelligent help with any problems you have with English here, much more so than you would at other boards. Please stay around to contribute also. We like as many viewpoints as we can get. There are also a large number of Brits and New Zealanders here as well as a smaller number of people from other countries such as Germany, Spain and Italy.

If you are male, I would suggest Eugene, since it sounds like your Chinese name. There is a female form of that name, Eugenia, which could be shortened to Genie; Eugene is normally shortened to Gene.

One warning: If you are tempted to use the SpellChecking routine don't take its suggestions too seriously. If I find it saying that I have misspelled a word I'll look the word up in the Merriam-Webster site http://www.m-w.com. It is very good at handling misspelled words and will suggest many alternatives. The proper alternative is usually at the top of the list.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Honorable Wang Youtian,

Or Youtian Wang as you would normally be addressed here in
the United States. I mean no offense; I feel sure you have already become acquainted with our form of address.
Welcome to you.

I have some suggestions for you. The first two involve looking up names and their meanings, so that you could make your own choice. There are many books written to help
parents choose names for a new baby. These are excellent sources of names and their meanings. You could also do a
search on-line, as I just tried, using baby names as my
search words. One of the sites I found was
http://www.babynames.com/V5/BabyNames_Main.php3?content=BabyNames_Home.php3. You can click on a
letter in the highlighted alphabet line (which was half-hidden on my screen!), and get a list of names starting with that letter. I tried a couple, and did not see anything that means someday. My own name, Jacqulyn (or
Jacqueline, the common spelling) means supplanter, and I guess that is kind of close to someday. It would be James
for a male. So, that would be (if you use your imagination!) a "replacement king".
My last suggestion comes from this particular web site:
if you find a name that you like the meaning of, check with some American friends to see if it is common here--some of these names are completely unknown to me.
Note: I am guessing from the harvard part of your name that you are in the States.

Good luck to you in all you do, Dear.

B
old hand
old hand
B
> these learned Yankees

I'm not sure that all the Americans here would be happy being called 'Yankees', neverlone (sic) the rest of us in England, Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, to name but a handful.

Youtian, thousands of Sinophiles across the world would love to have a name like yours, keep it

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Youtian: Your name is one to be proud of, and so easy for us to learn, you do not need an English name.I hope you will make more posts sharing your ideas with us. Bill Hunt

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
English names in general, tend to be words or phrases from other languages.. You have a wonder name -- your parents expressed fond hopes-- a "someday King"-- but if you are sure you want to have a more conventional "English name" I would second "Eugene/Eugenia" which is from the Greek-- eu is part of the root word for "good or pleasant' and is found in many English words and gene/ia is also from the Greek-- and refers to being born-- So Eugene is "well born"-- which in English, is an idiom for "nobles and royals"-- and that is "sounds" similar to your Chinese name is a bonus!

But its your name-- you should think about what you want to express... and see if you can find a name that works to create a meaning you like.

Linda is a common enough name in English-- it come from the Spanish --"pretty"
Millicent was for a while a common name among Chinese Americans in NY– Parents thought it sound like "a millions cents" or thousands of dollars!
Or Maximilian if you are male.
You might like Amos as a contraction of A(l)mos(t) -- if not a Someday King, and Almost King! Or Alma if you are female.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Welcome, Wang Youtian!
Heritage and Family built the USA, dear young person. English, Irish, Dutch, German, Spanish, Italian, Poles, Czechs, Indians, Philippino, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Pacific Islanders and a hundred other nationalities are the warp and woof of the fabric that is America.
Your family name is easy (Wang) for an American to spell, pronounce and remember and Youtian is a charming "first" name also easy to pronounce and spell. When asked what your name means it has wonderful connotations.
Carry it proudly into the 21st Century.
wow
P.S. This Old Lady of Irish ancestry is delighted you are with us. We need the young of all nations.
Good luck in all your endeavours.
wow

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Ha, Thanks so much for your quick reply(wordsmiths are also efficient, i think. :)).

I'm a male chinese. I'm expecting a beautiful english name or, now as i have changed my mind a little from your posts, to be verified that Wang Youtian is just a good one?... :)

Thanks for you saying my Chinese name is beautiful, I believe you are right. I felt happy at the messages...:)

Regards,
Youtian Wang or Wang Youtian

1.Girls r right
2.When u find girls r wrong, u r wrong
3.Never forget the above 2 points
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 802 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith