Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
And the Movie studio tour guide got called to task for not knowing who won 1999 best picture emmy

LOL, of troy! I know it was just a slip of the keyboard, but let's clarify: The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences awards Oscars; Emmys are given in the TV industry.

#26717 04/20/01 04:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ooooh, ooh, oooh!

This is my excuse to spring this one on this bunch of bright people.

The choices are

1) The Rolling Stones

2) Dire Straits

3) Black Sabbath

The category is Science. Trivia question for the week of January 27th 2001 - February 2nd 2001

Which is the correct answer and what is the question? Please do not give away the question (or the answer) in the Subject Line.

#26718 04/20/01 07:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Is this like three-dimensional tic-tac-toe?

I have a guess, based merely on the dates you provided, but I'll keep it to myself for now. I'd hate to spoil it by knowing only *half the answer. You can query me in private.

old hand
old hand
I'm a sucker for trivia game shows, and while I found Weakest Link to be [shrug]... eh... I do have to weigh in on Alex Trebek since Helen gave me the opening. I've always perceived an air of misogyny about him, and that's always disturbed me - he comes off as extremely condescending to his female contestants. At least the Weakest Link dominatrix is equally insulting to men *and* women.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
fiberbabe writes, of Alex Trebek: I've always perceived an air of misogyny about him

how about adding misandry, euphuism and self-importance to that list?

i don't like TV much; don't watch it at all in fact, and i attribute my aversion at least in part to being forced to witness the antics of that pompous man and his affectations of intelligence.

(yes, this is the part where y'all say "Tell us how you *really* feel, bridget")

aside from that, the questions (well, answers) posed on Jeopardy were always pretty interesting.

R
R
If you want to see some really tough questions, watch "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire". My aged P's love that show, and so when visiting the capital, I must watch. I do mean must; their hearing is fine, but I can sit on the front steps (with the front door and windows shut I might add) and make out the program quite clearly. In fact, on occasion, people walking by on the sidewalk call out, "He really should have gotten that one." (ok, slight exageration)

(For those of you not familiar, you answer increasingly difficult questions until the million dollar question.) One question for $1 or $2,000: what condiment is made from soybeans? A) Mustard, B) Relish, C) Ketchup, D) Soya sauce.

Another question, in a book, what type of font is slants from the bottom left to the upper right. Contestant (claiming to have not one, but two university degrees) did not guess the correct answer from the four choices, one of which was italics.

Unlike bridget96, I do like TV, but I tape the shows and then only watch them while running on the treadmill fast forwarding through all of the commercials. I highly recommend this approach, although once I made the mistake of putting a really good movie on and had to keep running so I could see how it turned out.

#26722 04/23/01 08:46 AM
R
addict
addict
R
According to the Saturday (UK) Times USA and UK are just about at war with each other following the comments made about Anne Robinson on the "The Weakest Link", and lists an escalation of exchanges in the press. While I personally don't like watching Anne Robinson, the Times makes the point that Anne's role in the programme is seen as a (n intended) joke by most UK viewers. In the UK Anne is best known and loved for her leading role in a consumer watchdog programme. So we just see her as somebody pretending to be wittily rude. As someone mentioned recently (too lazy to look it it up emoticon) smut is ok if the level of wit is greater than that of the smut. I feel the same way about rudeness and "The (UK) Weakest Link" fails for me on that count. Similarly with "Dog Eat Dog" and other programs of that ilk, and the interview manner of some political commentators.
One of the delights of this forum for me (a relative newcomer) is that the wit and erudition almost without exception far outweighs the smut and rudeness (I know - it's just teasing).
Rod

#26723 04/24/01 01:30 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
On further viewing I like Anne Robinson more and more ... she has a quirky smile and a subtle wit that is rare ... I think she will grow on the audience as they get used to her very distinctive style. I hope the "Suits" give the show a chance to reach its audience.
I like her. And I get enough of the questions correct to keep me interested. (My weakest link is pop/rap music groups)
Yes, I like her ... so sue me!
wow

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,363
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,558
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith