Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#26025 04/06/01 12:30 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have been having an interesting discussion with a lovely friend about the different meanings of the verb 'to feel',
specifically that it is used to describe both physical and emotional sensations. By way of explanation, my friend asserts that all uses of the word feel are really mental,
since the impulses that tell us a fire is hot are electrical. Here is my response to that, but may I say now that I am not posting this to seek a resolution to who is right or wrong.
"The electrical impulses that travel from the skin to the brain are neither noticeably warm or cold. But there can be times, from a burn or even from fever, that our skin
most definitely feels warm to the touch. Or even not to the touch... That is a physical sensation. Well, I'll say characteristic. But like whoever it was on the board who posted that if something is
deemed pleasurable then it is therefore also desirable said, in my opinion if something has the physical property of giving off heat, we are forced to say that it feels hot. Whereupon I see that your statement, "Feelings are a mental category." exactly illustrates the point of my wish: that we had different words, abcde etc.,
to differentiate these "feeling" meanings!"

I am hoping that those of you who are familiar with other languages, esp. Nicholas since he knows so many, will say
whether there are any which, like the famed numerous Eskimo words for different types of snow, have different words for
"feel", so that a listener can instantly know whether the speaker was meaning a physical or emotional feeling.

#26026 04/06/01 12:43 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
In Italian things are even worse, since the verb sentire
corresponds to "to feel", but it means also
to hear, and to listen to...
Ciao
Emanuela

#26027 04/06/01 02:38 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
sentire
The Italian is from the same root word as the English word "sense" (both a noun and a verb). This is another of those famous Saxon/Latin pairs -- we have both "feel" and "sense" and in many cases they mean the same thing. However, my understanding is that "sense" is more wide-ranging than "feel" -- that we sense in more ways than we feel. In both cases, both sensing and feeling are often done without use of our physical members -- it's an intuitive process.

#26028 04/06/01 03:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think there is a lot of overlap in feelings- if i make a mistake-- and get caught-- i am liable to blush-- I feel embarrassed-- but later if i relate what happened-- I can again feel the same "mortification" and blush all over again-- and even if i don't blush externally-- my internal feelings are very similar-- my memory of being embarrassed is very close to actually being embarrassed.

Thinking about a strong physical sensation can bring back the such a strong memory-- you do "feel" the sensation all over again-- Maybe not with the same intensity-- but-- if you have ever cut any of your fingers severely with a knife (i have)-- when I read Bob (BYB's) post about his cutting his finger-- i reacted by curling in the finger I had cut--(index in my case) and "Protecting" it-- I remember the pain-- and I don't want to feel it again

#26029 04/07/01 12:59 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
when I
read Bob (BYB's) post about his cutting his finger-- i reacted by curling in the finger I had cut--(index in my case) and
"Protecting" it-- I remember the pain-- and I don't want to feel it again

This supports a feeling, or a belief, that I've had for some time that they laws of the physical universe are applicable to our psyches as well. Perhaps this is the basis for psychodrama, art therapy, and other therapies. Comments, please?

#26030 04/07/01 01:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not familiar with all of the laws of the physical universe (and not to belittle your question at all) but we do seem to be psychologically affected by sound waves, light waves, biological matter (matter in general, for that matter) - all three of which (and I'm sure there are more) humans, since they began to notice patterns, have experimented with manipulating, recreating, destroying and creating new ones... sometimes in the name of science, sometimes in the name of art... are we back on that right/left brain theory again?

Jackie - The 2 K sprinter, at the end of his race, doesn't experience fatigue like the feeling I had yesterday of being emotionally drained (a friend died on the anniversary of my fathers death). These two feelings are clearly different, even if I do use the same word "fatigue" to describe them. One mental and one physical.

#26031 04/07/01 02:50 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Sweet Musick, I'm sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you mean. As it happens, I've just come from a funeral myself.

#26032 04/07/01 11:44 PM
R
R
-- Thinking about a strong physical sensation can bring back the such a strong memory-- you do "feel" the sensation all over again--

I think that the remembrance of physical pain is almost nothing compared to the remembrance of emotional incidents. I still get emotional when I look at the pictures of my youngest son just after his birth, with contact pads and wires on his chest, tubes in his nose and arm, and still more sensors connected to his feet. Even though my period of anxiety was relatively short, and he is bright and healthy now, there are occasions when my mind drifts over that time, and I am brought up short by the violence of my feelings.

#26033 04/09/01 07:27 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I'm reading a not very readable book by Antonio Damasio which makes a specifically linguistic point about the ambiguity in the word 'feeling', and the corresponding ambiguity in the Latin, but I forget what the exact point was; and as a linguist I wasn't too impressed.

I don't know of a language that specifically distinguishes these, without overlap, but then it's not the sort of thing that you'd pick up with a superficial knowledge of a language. That is, I know nothing about how non-European languages encode these things, and a quick glance at a dictionary would not help. If it said X = 'feel, sense' what would you learn? Does anyone out there know any non-European language well? Bingley on Indonesian, perhaps?

However, the theory behind Damasio's book does seem to be the direction the science is going: that thought and interior feelings originated over evolutionary time from rehearsals of external feelings. By being able to simulate what a cut finger would feel like, using many of the same brain circuits as come from the actual finger, you can judge whether it would be good or bad to cut your finger, without having to actually do it. The simulation in the brain goes both ways and feeds back into the efferent nerves so you do get some physical effect of twitching your finger in response if you think about it.

Damasio's the expert on this, but I just wish he could write a bit more like Richard Dawkins, so I'd have a chance of finishing it (and agreeing more than I presently do, because I still think he's mixing up good neurophysiology with not-so-good philosophy).

#26034 04/09/01 12:37 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yes, that sounds very plausible, NicholasW. It would certainly fit with the established literature on kinaesthetic learning methodologies - the basis of which, through my limited interpretation, might be expressed as "the body is capable of encoding memories and experience by reference to physical status ie, not merely by abstracted mental gymnastics". Hence on a simple level I can go down my dog-leg staircase in the dark without any conscious thought of whether there are 9 or 10 or 7 steps to the turn, because the muscles of my body can "remember" the pattern of movements. My wife is currently doing some research in an allied area, applying these methods to test for difference of results amongst highschool pupils, to ascertain if certain 'learning styles' may be more advantageously employed for particular types of kids who may not prosper under traditional teaching regimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,363
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 742 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,558
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith