Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#25069 03/29/01 12:14 PM
R
addict
addict
R
and when they get to putting viruses in all those image files, we will be able to warn people: "Beware of Geeks bearing gifs!"

Rod Ward

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ok, all you Computer Gurus, Outlook Express was installed when I bought the computer.
So how, and should, I get rid of it?
What subsitute?
Will addresses book and all the saved stuff disappear?
Awaiting enlightment ...
wow

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Take absolutely no notice of these Jeremiahs, wow! Outlook is no worse than most programs, and better than many. It is the de facto standard around the globe. Of course, when someone stands by the side of the road and sees 20 smashes, half of which involve Ford cars, they might think Fords are risky - but in proportion to the number being driven??

Nah - I have no time for the Micro$oft knockers. I remember the umpteen wasted days of my life in earlier times trying to get two programs to talk to each other on the same damn computer, let alone hundreds talking to each other all around the world. Like it or lump it, Micro$oft has played a key rôle in establishing standards.

That they are not bomb-proof standards is partly down to us: we all want things cheap, want them yesterday, want someone else to pay.

/rant (and I too laughed liek a drain at the original post)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The wise one asks: Outlook Express was installed when I bought the computer. So how, and should, I get rid of it?

I've pretty much always had it preinstalled and never ever used it. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Regarding the name Microsoft, anybody ever wonder where it comes from? My guess is He took it from "Neuromancer" ( a wonderful novel, if you like that sort of thing.) A microsoft is a digital spike you insert in your head as a sort of a brain upgrade.

You can probably uninstall Outlook Express in "Remove Software" in the Control Panel. It's an optional install in Windows, so you can either not bother installing it to begin with or (back to the top).
Other mail clients are available. Eudora, for one. Someone mentioned Pegasus yesterday (which seems to come without a manual, unless you plunk down $40. And Netscape.

Easiest is don't open suspect attachments.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Easiest is don't open suspect attachments

... but best is run an effective virus cutter, and keep it updated weekly or monthly, since all programs can let through some viruses. And most of these nuisances can be eliminated without any hint of a problem unless people are plain lazy about it. /preach

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
As long as you follow the advice given to NEVER open any attachments without scanning them for viruses first, Outlook/Express is OK. A good practice to get into these days, with so many worms propagating themselves from Outlook/Express address books is to email the sender of an attachment, if the apparent sender someone you know, and confirm that they sent it to you intentionally, if they did not, it probably means that their address book has been compromised by a worm, like "I Love You" or "Anna Kournikova" . If it's from someone you don't know, don't open it. Outlook/Express is a security joke, it was never designed with security in mind, and its position as de facto standard is why so many viruses and worms are written to exploit its legion of security holes. A healthy dose of paranoia will ensure that using that bloated email client does not cause you too much grief.

#25076 03/29/01 11:51 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Friends,
Thank you all for the opinions on Outlook Express. Guess I'll just leave it alone and stay suspicious!
Many thanks,
wow

#25077 03/30/01 07:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I've just spent a frustrating two days trying to use Lotus Goats -erp- Notes as an email program. Gimme Outlook any day. All God's chillun got problems, and so's Microsoft's. But some problems is worse dan others.

BTW Maxie, I know the guy who wrote Pegasus Mail. Worked with him for two years. Sorry, rather, I worked with his ego. Not knocking the guy's expertise, his marketing or even his program, but not for me, ta.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#25078 03/30/01 08:39 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I know the guy who wrote Pegasus Mail. Worked with him for two years. Sorry, rather, I worked with his ego. Not knocking the guy's expertise, his marketing or even his program, but not for me, ta.

My condolences! It is easy to understand how an experience like that could put you off his work. I guess that I'm lucky to benefit from his work without ahving to suffer the ego that creates it. On a cheerier note, can you believe what the Black Caps did today?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith