Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#24628 03/25/01 01:56 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
All of us are here for one reason, I hope: we love language. And we have touched on music many times, in many different threads.

What I'd like to know is what kind of music do y'all love?

I'll start:

-Medieval, both secular (hi Faldage) and sacred
-Renaissance, tra-la-la
-Bach and the other (especially early) Baroque guys (if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it)
-Mozart and his henchmen
-Beethoven and some o' them
- Mahler, Brahms, y'all know
-some o' the Russians
-30s-40s standards
-60s oldies, blues & Motown
-Brazilian (samba, bossa nova)
-Folk music (Celtic, Sfardic, bluegrass)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
everything except opera and grand ole opry (and most broadway musicals) [and rap isn't music]

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
My tastes start a little later than yours, =of mediæval music that I have heard, I like neither secular nor sacred, ditto Renaissance. As for the rest

Bach and the other (especially early) Baroque guys (if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it)
-Mozart and his henchmen
-Beethoven and some o' them (LvB's 9th half a dozen times a day, if I had the time)
- Mahler, Brahms, only if I'm in the mood, which is very seldom
-some o' the Russians
-30s-40s standards
-60s oldies, blues & Motown
-Brazilian (samba, bossa nova)
-Folk music (Celtic, and African, both in small doses)

#24631 03/25/01 07:32 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
The father of my son forced me for years to listen music, high volume, even during lunches and dinners... and this was making the life so difficult - even "please the salt" had to be cried.
So in some sense I hate music - and just now after 8 years I start again to enjoy some simple song... But usually I prefere "the sound of silence", or just the birds singing...
Ciao
Emanuela

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
an attempt to name the specific composers

Mozart
Beethoven
Wagner
Rossini
Tchaikovsky
Gershwin
(Scott) Joplin
Beatles

There are more but this would be a pretty long list before I'd be done.

jimthedog

J
old hand
old hand
J
Well, I of course have to do my part in paying homage to modern Classical music: Jazz.
Let's see, there's Ragtime, Dixieland, Blues, Swing/Big Band, Bebop, Cool Jazz, Modal Jazz, Free Jazz, Fusion, Soul, Hip Hop, Smooth/Contemporary Jazz.

My favorite artists/composers are Louis Armstrong (without whom the subsequent music generations probably wouldn't have existed), Duke Ellington (obviously the greatest American composer), Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck/Paul Desmond, Thelonious Monk, Tower of Power (soul/hip hop group), Herbie Hancock, SpyroGyra (contemporary/fusion group).

I can really listen to any kind of music depending on my mood. My least favorites though are Country, Rap, Heavy Metal and Hard Rock (Metallica). I think saying any form is not music is fallacious because music is the way in which we convey our thoughts and emotions. Mozart and Eminem are both musicians in the same way that Chaucer and e.e. cummings are both poets. I tend to consider wordless music superior because you actually have to listen to the music to find the message. And we've discussed before that language is limited in portraying a thought (especially across many languages) but pure music can sometimes fill in those gaps in language to adequately get the message across.

I have many more thoughts on this subject, but I'm not finding the words to say them, so I'll just hum them to myself.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I can really listen to any kind of music depending on my mood. My least favorites though are Country, Rap, Heavy Metal and Hard Rock.

I think you read my mind, JazzO! I completely concur.
Some of my favorite composers/singers/music groups are:

J. S. Bach
Carl Orff (his Carmina Burana)
Handel
U2
REM
The Mamas and the Papas
Simon and Garfunkel
Duran Duran
Depeche Mode
Deep Forest (world beat)
Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Enya
Andrea Bocelli
The Crystal Method

etc. and so on

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Most everything, except impossibly loud rock, including opera
esp. Mozart, and of his, especially Don Giovanni, as well as parts of Il Trovatore, and Don Carlo the first and second act choruses, and the first act trio of Fidelio, for shear bombast, In Questa Regia and for some bel canto lines, Bellini. The arias of Handel's Julius Caesar are also magnificent.

Then there are the Bach Cantatas, especially, "Weinen Traenen ____ Sorgen," and "Jesu der du Meine Seele," The B minor mass, Oh all sorts of other Bach.

I love the Schubert song cycles. Schumann's Dichterliebe is ethereal, surprisingly, it is the piano "accompaniment" that sometimes is most beautiful. When singing, I have sometimes had to stop for crying at something that's happened in the piano.

Lead Belly, Woody Guthrie, many of the unknowns on the Lomax recordings.

Blah Blah Blah

#24636 03/26/01 06:21 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
The father of my son forced me for years to listen music, high volume, even during lunches and dinners... and this was
making the life so difficult - even "please the salt" had to be cried.
So in some sense I hate music

Although I have never had anyone father a child with me (my plumbing's not set up that way,) I can sympathize with you, Emmanuella. The people at work insist on playing screaming teen-ager type rock (compressed dirt), thereby metamorphically transforming my normally sedimentary self into an igneous raving maniac! However, that has not reduced my delight in Baroque and Russian Romantic music, which are my favorites. We here in Portland, Oregon, are furtunate to have an excellent Baroque period orchestra, so my thirst for such music can be easily slaked.

As for the rest, well, AnnaStrophic, I think you've got a pretty good list, Mahler excepted!

G
old hand
old hand
G
) [and rap isn't music]

Based on the lyrics, I think they left out an "e" at the end or rap, or left out a "c" at the beginning.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 930 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith