Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#23846 03/20/01 05:08 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I am querying some established research on a detail of ‘aspect’ usage, and would love to hear from my USn friends on these two questions:

1. If you were reporting on having attended an exhibition last summer, what sentence would you choose as your most natural style of usage? (eg, like saying ‘I went to the ball game…’ or whatever comes naturally)

2. If someone had kept you waiting for a meeting outside a shop, say, what sort of construction would you use if reproving them about their final arrival (please incorporate a variant of those last two words)

This is part of some research for a linguistics course, dealing with a variation between British and American standard usage, so your responses would be much appreciated. TIA

#23847 03/20/01 05:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
1. If you were reporting on having attended an exhibition last summer, what sentence would you choose as your most natural style of usage? (eg, like saying ‘I went to the ball game...’ or whatever comes naturally)

I went to a ball game at Wrigley while I was in Chicago last June...

I was at a seminar on linguistic differences between British and American English when I...

2. If someone had kept you waiting for a meeting outside a shop, say, what sort of construction would you use if reproving them about their final arrival (please incorporate a variant of those last two words)

Well, I hope we didn't rush your (breakfast, lunch, whatever) [sarcastic tone of voice]

Well, it's about time you got here. I was about to send out Search and Rescue.

I'll get more as I think of them.

#23848 03/20/01 06:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1. If you were reporting on having attended an exhibition last summer, what sentence would you choose as your most natural style of usage? (eg, like saying ‘I went to the ball game…’ or whatever comes naturally)

i tend to think of an exhibition as specific to one collection, eg the Tutankhamen exhibition that passed through Los Angeles when i was a wee one. On that premise, i'd say "I saw an exhibition last summer"

As a matter of common courtesy, I would be loath to reprove anyone who had kept me waiting (if they had any manners, they'd have apologized upon their eventual arrival, thus obviating my need to point it out; and if they had not the proper breeding as to proffer an apology, i would not presume to take it upon myself to embark on that endeavor).

That being said, i have never found myself in the situation where i would be called upon to reprove someone for being late, since [regrettably] it is *always* me who arrives late. Hypothetically, i suppose i would simply say "I'm sorry your late arrival will force me to keep this meeting brief, as i have other commitments this afternoon".

~b

#23849 03/20/01 06:18 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
(1) I went to the exhibition last summer. (spoken or informal writing)

(2) My most natural expressions to someone arriving late who is a good friend with whom I could joke would be, "It's about time!" or "Finally!"

I keep stumbling over your term, "final arrival." It sounds like the guy's corpse has been delivered.

(for tsuwm ->) GO GREEN!

#23850 03/20/01 06:24 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
1. I went to a leather and chains exhibition last week.

2a. Took you long enough to get here! (to someone familiar and good-natured enough not to be affronted by this, since it's not polite, or you don't care if they are affronted and you're ready to duck when they swing)
2b. Goodness, what held you up? (more polite)
2c. [Grandma, Auntie, Boss], did your [leg, cab driver, some other factor] hold you up? (about as polite as you can get -- there really is no polite way to reprove someone for mere tardiness)

#23851 03/20/01 06:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
1a) yesterday I went to the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices to meet my double agent.
1b) last week I attended a software engineering seminar.

2) finally, you've arrived! {including variant of "final arrival" as best I could :-)}

#23852 03/20/01 07:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sure, Sweetie!

1. I went to the State Fair last summer.
Possibly might say I attended a judicial hearing, but definitely my most nat. usage is I went to. I prolly wouldn't say I attended a Louisville Orchestra concert most of the time, though it would be my second choice.

2.You finally made it.(to a friend)
I was beginning to worry that something might have happened to you. (to an acquaintance--sorry, I could not bring myself to add "to make you so late"--I know you asked for those words.)

#23853 03/20/01 07:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you're basic line is pretty standard-- but alot of times i'd say things like:

I caught the new jazz group at the Natural History last week-- great show! (actually i did catch a jazz group at the museum-- and it ruined my visit-- Sorry JazzO-- to me jazz is just noise.)
Or

Several years ago, there was an exhibit on the dead sea scrolls-- I took a trip to DC especially to see the exhibit as it started the US tour-- My daughter caught the show when it came to NY, and my son included viewing the exhibit as part of his trip to Rome

If i were speaking, i would make an effort not to say I went to DC, my daughter went to NYC, and my son went to rome -- and all three of us saw the same exhibition! to many wents

and as for commenting on being late-- well as other have said-- depends on Who-- but with friends

Here! at last! I gave you up for dead!

or
Oh, you got here 15 minutes early! Oh, no wait, I'm wrong-- we are not meeting at 3 o'clock Chicago time (central time)! (i am in eastern time zone)
Neither uses a term that is varient of "final arrival"-- tsuwm's "Finally! you arrived!" is about the only way that seems about right..

#23854 03/20/01 09:26 PM
L
L
I'm always the one who is late, I'll try and listen to what's said to me next time. The only one who would be later than I would be my son, to him I'd say "Why are you so late (in getting here) ?" (That final arrival part is throwing me.)

#23855 03/20/01 10:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
1) I went to the show (I never go to the show...(movies)) - or - We/I attended anything "serious" - or - often, starting the sentence with what we were doing there... "I was eating popcorn at the game yesterday".... however, I, personally, would never start with an a-matter-of-fact statement like "I went to the pub last night. Within minutes of my arrival... more like "I was hanging out at the pub when out of nowhere this...

2) To someone I don't know, I won't say anything and let them explain themselves...

To someone I know, however...

-Glad you could join me/us...
-Where the f*** have you been?
-Run out of gas?
-You're late, as*****!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith