Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
“I hate quotation” Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), [Journals, 1849]

When Emerson wrote that phrase, how amazed he would have been to think of his words being despatched all the way around the world to many thousands of people simultaneously. As an additional tribute to Anu’s work on the AWAD service I thought it might be worth calling attention to the quotation feature, which I believe adds significantly to AWAD’s popularity. Here are some thoughts culled from the archives, under rather arbitrary headings.

Quotation

I quote others only in order to better express myself Michel de Montaigne

A proverb is a short sentence based on long experience. Cervantes

Politics

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing Edmund Burke

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has Margaret Mead

Fate

The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem Theodore Rubin

One often meets destiny in the road taken to avoid it French Proverb

Religion

Man is certainly stark mad: he cannot make a flea, yet he makes gods by the dozen Michel de Montaigne

Men will wrangle for religion, write for it, fight for it, die for it, anything but live for it Charles Caleb Cotton

History

History is an account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

History is fables agreed upon Voltaire (1694-1778)

War

War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) [The New Dictionary of Thoughts]

No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come Victor Hugo, poet, novelist and dramatist (1802-1885)

Language

All language reflects the prejudices of the society in which it evolved.
Casey Miller

Thanks to words, we have been able to rise above the brutes, and thanks to words, we have sunk to the level of the demons.
Aldous Huxley

Parole

What we say is important... for in most cases the mouth speaks what the heart is full of Jim Beggs

Folks that blurt out just what they think wouldn't be so bad if they thought Kin Hubbard

Family

We should measure affection, not like youngsters by the ardour of its passion, but by its strength and constancy Marcus Tullius Cicero, statesman, orator, writer (106-43 BCE)

If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Friendships

A sense of duty is useful in work but offensive in personal relations.
Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author (1872-1970)

Instead of loving your enemies, treat your friends a little better Edgar W. Howe

Self-knowledge

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance Confucius (551-479 BC)

The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but what he becomes by it John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Conscience

Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking H.L. Mencken

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition burns a picture to obtain the ashes. Chinese Proverb

And finally, a unique voice of America…

Mark Twain

I believe I have no prejudices whatsoever. All I need to know is that a man is a member of the human race. That's bad enough for me Mark Twain, U.S. Author (1835-1910)

The truth is a precious commodity. That's why I use it so sparingly Mark Twain, U.S. Author (1835-1910)

Do you have any particular favourites, on these or other topics? Put ‘em here as votive offerings

B
old hand
old hand
B
My current favourite, which ran fairly recently, is now in my email signature file:

"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others."
-John Andrew Holmes

This sort of summarizes my worldview in one neat sentence.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have these two posted above my computer area:

The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago, had they
happened to be within reach of predatory human hands. -Havelock Ellis

and:

Because we don't think about future generations,
they will never forget us. -Henrik Tikkanen

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Dear Maverick, I have something to say to you and about you and of you, but that will be in another place and time.
For now this is a gem I would like to offer on the altar of quotations:

The more I thought,.... the more I saw myself clearly, and the more I realized that I had no more control over being white than [he] had over being black. And I thought to myself: why am I so proud of something over which I have no control and was in no way a matter of achievement? It was all a matter of chance.

Red Barber

(Does this qualify as a quotation? Please let me know.)

chronist

N
N
I read this list somewhere, attributed to Mahatma Gandhi, with the eighth one attributed to his grandson, Arun

The Seven Blunders of the World

• Wealth without work

• Pleasure without conscience

• Knowledge without character

• Commerce without morality

• Science without humanity

• Worship without sacrifice

• Politics without principle

• Rights without responsibilities

G
old hand
old hand
G
Here's one that touches on most of the subject headings:

Nothing defines humans better than their willingness to do irrational things in
the pursuit of phenomenally unlikely payoffs. This is the principle behind
lotteries, dating, and religion. -- Scott Adams

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
We are all queer fish, queerer behind our faces and voices than we want anyone to know or that we know ourselves.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

chronist

#23161 03/17/01 03:26 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, maverick, for doing this. In giving the following, from the W.A.D. from Aug. 28th, 2000,
I salute our beloved Anu, for his inspiration--both for us and to us--and his true, human wisdom, as well as the person he quoted on that day.

I'll part with the words of Kabir, a medieval
Indian mystic poet, who never set foot in a classroom. Here is one of his
couplets, rendered in my less than poetic translation:

The world passes while reading tomes, none any wiser;
Truly learned is the one who learns the meaning of love."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Children

"All bachelors love dogs, and we would love children just as
much if they could be taught to retrieve."
-P J O'Rourke

"With the birth of each child you lose two novels."
-Candia McWilliam

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
PJ O'Rourke is probably the ONLY author today who can have me laughing so hard that my sides hurt. His combination of wit and keen observation of the human condition is impossible to beat.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In honor of the day I"ll quote an Irishman.
"One man with a dream, at pleasure,
Shall go forth and conquer a crown;
And three with a new song's measure
Can trample an empire down." (A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy)
--------------------------
And for all the English, many of whom became Anglo-Irish or "more Irish than the Irish" and helped their adopted land to become a Republic:
"It is not enough to do good. One must do it in the right way."
(John, Vicount Morley)
------------------------------
And one more, to show there are no hard feelings ... one of my favorites of all times - also by Morley :
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."

Happy St. Patrick's Day
wow

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Will Durant ( ICLIU but I think I'm quoting it correctly)

" Nothing is often a good thing to do and always a good thing to say."

(I KNOW this quote, but sometimes forget to think about it until just AFTER I hit the "send" or "Continue" key.)

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Will Durant's "The Story of Civilization" is written so well that it is very enjoyable. And while I don't remember the epigram you quote, there are many equally worth quoting contained in that marvelous eleven volume set. I can't imagine how he was able to do so much research, organize the material, and still have time enough left to write it so superlatively well.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
He had the help of a good, and clever woman.
wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My failure to give proper credit to Ariel Durant was a grievous error. She too must have been something special, or otherwise it would be possible to tell her contributions from his, which I cannot.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Make the most of yourself...for that is all there is of you.

Emerson

chronist

G
old hand
old hand
G
PJ O'Rourke is probably the ONLY author today who can have me laughing so hard that my sides hurt.

You haven't read Patrick McManus, then?

J
old hand
old hand
J
Hmm. . . some of my favorite quotes right now, a rather eclectic group:

"A wise man talks because he has something to say, a fool because he has to say something." - Plato

"Ocean, n. A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man -- who has no gills." - Ambrose Bierce

"Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time." - E.B. White

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." - Albert Einstein

"To thine own self be true" - Shakespeare, Hamlet

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Dear God
Please help me to get up ... I can fall down by myself ...
A Jewish Saying

old hand
old hand
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist is quite certain about that.
(author unknown)

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Hah - like that one, Werner! Kind of creeps up on you. And there are other lovely ideas here too - thanks, all.

For those of my fellow sufferers still trying to scratch a living in the commercial world, I offer one currently pinned above my computer:

"Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark; you know what you are doing, but nobody else does!"

?George Jessel

T
stranger
stranger
T
"PJ O'Rourke is probably the ONLY author today who can have me laughing so hard that my sides hurt.

You haven't read Patrick McManus, then?"

What about Tom Robbins, Douglas Copeland and Douglas Adams? And Salman Rushdie...

"I love deadlines... I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
the whooshing noise they make as they go by

Welcome, Tipple. Is that what is meant by the read shift effect?

T
stranger
stranger
T
"read shift effect"?

*stares round in surprise*

Thanks for the welcome... :-)

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
When I saw the title of this thread, lines from an old Woody Allen movie popped into my head. They went (more or less) like this:

Q : "what is the difference between sex and death?"
A : "Death doesn't make you nauseous."
wow

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
sex and death

they'll get you coming and going

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sex and death

they'll get you coming and going

Oh, GOOD one, Sparteye! And what a way to go!

B
veteran
veteran
B
In today's newspaper, the music reviewer, writing about a performance of Handel's Israel in Egypt, started off with George Bernard Shaw's definition of oratorio: 'Unstaged operettas on scriptural themes, written in a style in which solemnity and triviality are blended in the right proportion for boring an atheist out of his senses."

For those who are not too familiar with GBS' life, he wrote music reviews for a London newspaper in the 1880's under the nom de plume of Corno di Bassetto.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Everyman is a quotation from all his ancestors.

Emerson

chronist

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
: 'Unstaged operettas on scriptural themes, written in a style in which solemnity and triviality are blended in the right proportion for boring an atheist out of his senses."

Dear Bobyoungbalt: I read the encyclopedia article on GBS and could not tell if he would have called himself an atheist or not. What's your guess?

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
He certainly believed in himself! Ga,those plays are boring...

B
veteran
veteran
B
GBS
Well, Mav, Jeder hat seinem Geschmuck. I love GBS' plays; in fact, I have to agree with his own estimation that he was probably the greatest playwright (in English, anyway) since Shakespeare, a view he put forth in the short play Shakes vs. Shav.

To answer Bill's question, in various plays (and more, in the prefaces thereto) he advocated a view which he took from Nietzche, that there is an impersonal Life Force which animates (I guess that's the word but not sure) the universe. It's a sort of Deism but not as theistic. In fact, it's nonsense to anyone who has a religion, and equally nonsense to an atheist or thoroughgoing agnostic. You can get some of this from the prefaces to Man and Superman and, I think, Saint Joan.

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Jeder hat seinem Geschmuck

S'what makes the world go round, Bob. Yes, the ideas are always of some interest to read - but the drama, the drama is spectacular in its absence. And the guy writes language that has all the poetry of a plastic duck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith