Next Thread
Print Thread
#23079 03/16/01 02:13 PM
W
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
I am sorry if some of you will be disappointed when you see this new thread, especially the veterans, the addicts, the journeyman, the poohbahs(sp), etc. but being a stranger I have just been mostly sitting on the fence and observing what the old hands have been up to, kind of feeling my way around, absorbing the ambiance, every once in a while getting off the fence and joining in with a word or two.
Now I would like to start a thread mainly but never excluding anybody, for strangers and newcomers to post some of the gems we encountered while sorting through some threads. We know discretionary time is at a premium, we can't all be reading all the postings all the time.
Here are the gems I found today:
1. Ayleur (if you were about ready to sulk because "darn it! they are all talking about Ayleurs for hours it seems, and I do not have the foggiest...) can be found in the thread titled I need your input under the subheading titled about posting started bywow
2. On the same thread, you will find a lot of humor and brilliant repartees between the big guns of AWADTALK.
3. There is also a thread on the basics of AWADTALK, the mechanics part of it. Unfortunately, it is off the screen now but can be reached if you go through a thread titled "Looking for a Lost Thread" (don't worry it is a short thread) and in it are contributions from Sparteye and wwh that may just be the answer to your questions.
4. Laughter has been called the best medicine, try running your posts through this board's spell check. I guarantee you a laugh or two. Hint: Ayleurs is not an azalea.
5. Do you know that after you have posted a new thread and found when you view it that something is terribly wrong with it, you can delete or edit it by clicking on the button "reply to post".
A note to the old hands: Please feel free to grace us with your wisdom.
To my co-strangers: Please encourage all of us by posting your own gems.
To the webmaster: Please cut thread if you think not necessary.

chronist

#23080 03/16/01 02:36 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WC (shouldn't use that abbreviation, it might be mis-understood) Is that "Tip" as in tip a raree?

#23081 03/16/01 03:08 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
"Tip" as in tip a raree?
I think you may have missed the point, Bill.

#23082 03/16/01 03:16 PM
W
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
Yes (I guess)
I am really a greenhorn when it comes to the Irish Culture but this I know tomorrow is St Patrick's Day and that St. Patrick's Day is about snakes, green ones, of course (just kidding).
I should really fast forward my Irish Culture education since I had become related to an Irishman, by law (as in son-in-law) and so I wanted to color the Subject of my new thread green but I just learned you cannot do it (this should be another tip for the greenies)
Happy St. Patrick's Day one and all!

chronist

#23083 03/16/01 05:42 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hi WC. Check out the Helpful hints for newcomers thread in the Info and announcement category. I just brought it back to the top. It has a whole slew of useful tips for you.

Ayleurs is sometimes bandied about as a description of our group. It came about when we were trying to come up with a name for ourselves. One member said you can call us Anything You Like Except Unanimous. Et vlan, a star is born!

#23084 03/16/01 06:27 PM
W
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
It is not in vain, this new thread. At least now my curiosity about Ayleur has been gratified, and to think I was almost ready to offer somebody a bribe! Thanks belMardukfor that and for resurrecting the Helpful Hints thread.

chronist

#23085 03/16/01 07:54 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
A bribe, you didn't tell me a bribe was going to be involved. Had I known, I would have brought up a nice little Château Montrose 1955 that I have had a hankering for

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 429 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith