Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
nemo Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Is there any significance to the fact that English and German seem to have almost all their interrogatives start with "w", while Romance languages like French and Spanish, mostly have "qu" interrogatives? Am I correct in guessing that the "qu" comes from Latin? And if so, does it strike anybody else as ironic that all those "w" interrogatives in English are "qu"estions?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There's a whole set of rules about this. Question starts with a Qu because it's of Romance origin.

N
nemo Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Did the Grimm brothers have anything to do with codifying the rules you mention? Also, if German has Frage, and Dutch has vraag, what happened to the Englisc equivalent that was displaced by question? I would have thought we might at least have ended up with a Germanic/Romance pair like freedom/liberty, brotherhood/fraternity, that sort of thing.

R
R
In English there are many cases where there are three tiers of words meaning essentially the same thing.

Germanic/French/Latin
ask/question/interrogate
goodness/virtue/probity
better/improve/ameliorate
rider/cavalier/equestrian

None of the words have supplanted the others, they just get used with different frequency and have taken slightly different meanings. Interrogate has a more sinister meaning than question which in turn is more formal than ask.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Huh?
Ich bin übergefragt.

But seriously, this is a question for William the Conqueror and his hordes. Now if you'd like to hear my theory on the Great Vowel Movement, I'll send it to you in private.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Yes, in a word. The proto-Indo-European interrogatives began with /kw-/, and they were all related because they were all essentially case-forms of a single word: kwis? 'who?' contained the active ending /-s/, and kwid? 'what?' had a neuter element /-d/ instead.

Other interrogatives 'why?', 'how?' etc. are originally oblique cases 'for what?', 'with what?'.

The normal sound-changes applied in the different branches.

Latin /kw-/ became /k-/, inherited in all its descendants (qui, que, che etc.).

In Germanic it became /hw-/, and yes this is Grimm's Law. The brothers were the first to lay out the regularity of the sound changes. These have become /w-/ in most varieties of English (still /hw-/ in Scots and older American) (and /h-/ in who, how but I'm not sure why), and /v-/ in German (wo, was, wie). It's still a cluster in Icelandic (hvadh).

The /kw-/ became /t-/ or /p-/ in Greek depending on the following vowel: tis, ti, pu, pote.

Now 'query' and 'question' come from a Latin verb root quaes-, which I would guess is from the interrogatives, i.e. originally meant 'to say "what?"', but I can't confirm that.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear AnnaStrophic: "Great Vowel Movement, I'll send it to you in private."

If that isn't a private joke, why not share it with all of us. Glad you didn't make a typo on the middle word.

B
veteran
veteran
B
Grimm's Law

Excellent reply, Bro. Nick, as we have come to expect of you. You touched on Grimm's Law. Since few people have ever heard of it, we might explain that the brothers Grimm were not just storytellers. They were philologists, among the first serious ones in German studies and the tales resulted from a long research project. What they were really after was information on how German was used and what it's grammar and vocabulary were in various areas, which involved various usages and dialects. They figured that the natural well of the language was to be found in the old folk tales that had been passed down from remote antiquity, so they went out to collect them direct from the lips of all these old gammers in all sorts of remote places. The publication of the tales, and their resultant popularity, was really a by-product of their research. One of the things they learned is that languages change over time and there is a regular progression of how consonantal changes occur, as Nick described. The codified description of how these changes occur is Grimm's law. (Should be Grimms', but that's too much to expect of publishers.) One other note on the tales -- they have been thoroughly bowdlerized to make them more acceptable as children's tales. In the original versions, there are few you would want to read to small tots.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
-- they have been thoroughly bowdlerized to make them more acceptable as children's tales. In the original versions, there are few you would want to read to small tots

Oh, do tell! We are all mostly grownups here (in age anyway.)
Or wait until the children are asleep, if you will ... but an example or two, please?
wow

Need I say "in English, please?"

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What the stepmother wanted to do to Hansel and Gretel was not nice, to say the least. And the father being wimpy enough to go along with it was not very reassuring.The witch wanting to eat Hansel was not nice either. Could scare hell out of any kid really thinking about the story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith